Thread: My steering wheel controls won’t scan my preset stations

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey

My steering wheel controls won’t scan my preset stations

This worked on my other car so what’s the deal? How do I change this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Just to be clear, they scan normally from station to station.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    In e38.org, towards the bottom, there are Owners Manuals, and in particular a 2001 E38 Audio manual.
    I'd look there & check out radio pre-sets. As I recall, there's a simple way of switching from sequential radio station search to pre-set radio station search.
    I don't remember what button(s) to press, but I do recall it was a pretty simple thing to do.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    You are lucky if that's the only problem you have with your car

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
    In e38.org, towards the bottom, there are Owners Manuals, and in particular a 2001 E38 Audio manual.
    I'd look there & check out radio pre-sets. As I recall, there's a simple way of switching from sequential radio station search to pre-set radio station search.
    I don't remember what button(s) to press, but I do recall it was a pretty simple thing to do.
    What a pain. I had to download The Unarchiver on my iMac and then it was all audio files. I don’t think they covered how to change to preset scanning. I’ll listen again. I tend to multitask too much.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    You are lucky if that's the only problem you have with your car
    I wish........

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    LOL!
    OK armiller1. You made me get up & go grab my Owner's Manual for the Nav.
    On page 22, it says to press & hold the "Select" button until "PRES ON" or "PRES OFF" (PRES = pre-set) appears.
    PRES ON will change between stored stations
    PRES OFF jumps to the next station

Does this work for you?
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
    LOL!
    OK armiller1. You made me get up & go grab my Owner's Manual for the Nav.
    On page 22, it says to press & hold the "Select" button until "PRES ON" or "PRES OFF" (PRES = pre-set) appears.
    PRES ON will change between stored stations
    PRES OFF jumps to the next station

Does this work for you?
    Hilarious! Just press one button for 2 seconds. Thanks for that. I owe you a sunshade hook or something like that.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Glad you got it sorted out.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by armiller1 View Post
    What a pain. I had to download The Unarchiver on my iMac and then it was all audio files. I don’t think they covered how to change to preset scanning. I’ll listen again. I tend to multitask too much.

Just curious why you chose to download an audio version when there are at least 3 PDF Nav manuals at the bottom of the left column on e38.org. You could have downloaded the 99 Nav manual, 2000 Nav manual, or the 2004 Nav manual...all 3 of them are PDFs (text). I'm not sure if the 00 Nav manual was the small or wide screen...if it wasn't you could use the 2004 (wide screen) Nav manual...it won't be any different...all BMW wide screen nav systems at the time were the same...especially the e38/e39/e53.

Whether small screen nav or wide screen nav...they all operate the same across the generational cousins (3/5/7/X5) for all the model years they were available. So the 3/5/7 small screen nav operate the same...then when the wide screen nav debuted in the 3/5/7/X5...they, too all operate the same.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-20-2018 at 03:29 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey

My steering wheel controls won’t scan my preset stations

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Why would you download the audio version when there are 3 PDF Nav manuals at the bottom of the left column on e38.org. You could have downloaded the 99 Nav manual, 2000 Nav manual, or the 2004 Nav manual...all 3 of them are PDFs (text). I'm not sure if the 00 Nav manual was the wide screen, if it wasn't you could use the 2004 (wide screen)Nav manual...it won't be any different...all BMW wide screen nav systems at the time were the same...especially the e38/e39/e53.

Whether small screen nav or wide screen nav...they all operate the same across the generational cousins (3/5/7/X5) for all the model years they were available. So the 3/5/7 small screen nav operate the same...then when the wide screen nav debuted in the 3/5/7/X5...they, too all operate the same.
    Because when I saw “E38 Audio User’s Guide,” I assumed that was where to look.

Last edited by armiller1; 05-20-2018 at 03:19 PM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by armiller1 View Post
    Because when I saw “E38 Audio User’s Guide,” I assumed that was where to look.

Well...if you need an owners manual or a nav manual...you can always go back and easily download a PDF version to your phone, tablet, or CPU where you can always easily access it. This will allow you to go directly to the contents (in the front) or the index (in the rear) to find a topic, then go directly to the page instead of having to wade through a time consuming audio version (if you're in a hurry).
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)