Thread: Federal SS 595......who has used them on the z?

Federal SS 595......who has used them on the z?

reviews overall are strong........ value priced as well

any1 here have reviews?

My Cars
    z3
    I don't know about those, but I have Firehawk Indy 500's on my coupe and they have been great. They are very cheap as well and have been tested and proven... tons of good reviews on them out there

ahhh......good to know.

Back in the day when I tracked the coupe I always bought the latest and greatest stickiest............but now I just get a well reviewed affordable tire

but just checked, those are ASSYMETRIC

cant flip them.....not good....they are priced well tho
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 05-18-2018 at 01:06 PM.

My Cars
    '00 Z3 2.3 Roady, '08 M5
    I’ve had them on for a few years. I just ordered a set for the rears yesterday. They last long. The fronts still have a good amount of tread on them. You really can’t go wrong for the money. I’m replacing because of rear camber wear. I’m very low. I never tracked the car, so I can’t help you there. All my driving is highway. A little noisy though.

Hope this helps.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Check out the sumitomo HTR-Z3. Reasonably sticky and cheap I've been running them for several years now.

Quote Originally Posted by dimm6 View Post
    I’ve had them on for a few years. I just ordered a set for the rears yesterday. They last long. The fronts still have a good amount of tread on them. You really can’t go wrong for the money. I’m replacing because of rear camber wear. I’m very low. I never tracked the car, so I can’t help you there. All my driving is highway. A little noisy though.

Hope this helps.
    shes no longer tracked.

I get accelerated rear wear as car is a bit dropped , I get like 12-15k on rears.............if I dont flip. What do u get?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Check out the sumitomo HTR-Z3. Reasonably sticky and cheap I've been running them for several years now.
    Ive had only one set of Sumi on the coupe....it was an all season assymetric..cant recall which...but man, in rain they were dangerous...HTR AS PO2!

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    I'm with Randy on this one. I love this tire for my everyday needs for the past few years. I just put on new fronts last Weds. 30k on fronts, about 17-20k on rears. I drive somewhat hard fairly often and not once have these tires let me down. Free shipping right now and no tax on Tire Rack. Had Firestone install for $39. Great deal. Yes there are better tires out there, no argument there, but depending on needs, this might be a good fit/price.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Don't compare to any other Sumitomo. The HTR-Z3 is almost a fluke.... They flat out work.

ok..Ill consider them

well, it is a Z3 model..lol
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 05-18-2018 at 03:55 PM.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    I got a set for the rear and did a track day with them. My tires in the past has been regular street tire so I don't have any sticky tires to compare them with. However the tires felt really good and provided a lot of grip. Even in extreme cases where I messed up a heal-toe shift and imbalanced the car trail braking a corner. My lsd is a 3.73 so you can imagine how easy it could be to lock up the rear with poor shifting.
    -Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Thrizzle View Post
    I got a set for the rear and did a track day with them. My tires in the past has been regular street tire so I don't have any sticky tires to compare them with. However the tires felt really good and provided a lot of grip. Even in extreme cases where I messed up a heal-toe shift and imbalanced the car trail braking a corner. My lsd is a 3.73 so you can imagine how easy it could be to lock up the rear with poor shifting.
    Im sorry........which tire are u speaking of?

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    One more thing to ad to my prior statement about Tire Rack. I am in no way affiliated with the company, but, overall, I am extremely satisfied with the experience. Beyond actually, and solely is why I type this for someone else who may be considering a purchase with them. I ordered my tires last Monday, they were set to arrive and did the very next day Tuesday morning. I called the shop at 2pm, I had an appointment for the very next day and Weds at 12 and on went the new shoes. Lick-ity split. Mon, Tues, Weds like clockwork. It was impressive.

I also noticed that they are running a special if you buy a set of 4 Sumitomo HTRZ3's right now you get $75 rebate back.

And, the tires come with a free road hazard program, that in the details, and I called and spoke with and confirmed, BMW does not recommend repairing/patching/plugging a tire and they will pay for/replace with a brand new tire if a nail, screw, debris, etc, is in it. And then the tires two year protection start all over again. Sweet deal.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I don't know about those, but I have Firehawk Indy 500's on my coupe and they have been great. They are very cheap as well and have been tested and proven... tons of good reviews on them out there
    I used the same tires on my M roadster and the dry grip is amazing compared to the Michelin's that were on it. For the price, you can't beat them.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Same. I love these tires. Even got my dad to switch to these from Continental's on his M roadster. He's very pleased with them. I also wanted to try some all-seasons on my coupe since it's a daily sometimes. I went with the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 and they are also awesome. 10k on them so far with -3.5 camber in the rear with the inability to flip or rotate tires, and they still have about 4/32 rear and 6/32 front.

edit: Forgot my original thought. I had the 595 SS on my roadster once. They were all good for the first ~2k or so, but then got very, very noisy. Same with the RS-R I had on my 135i at one point. And my girlfriend had the 595 SS on her Miata for a while. Same thing, terribly noisy. I steered away from Federals since then.
    Last edited by Tim95M3; 05-19-2018 at 06:19 PM.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    I'm using a square Federal setup 255 17 , I won my class SSM ax 1st time out, price was great, but so noisy I thought my rear was going out. Price was $60 more than 1 Hoosier.

My Cars
    2000 S54 - Mcoupe
    I have the RSR-R too, super noisy. But great for the price. I ended up going 225/40/17 and 255/35/17 and got them ALL installed for 398!!

Personally, I think they're a great bang for your buck. I have about 5k miles on them along with 3 track days. I THINK I have ONE more track-day with them, so lets see how they look after next weekend. Unfortunate that they don't make anything bigger than 255 for 17's, though. So with my new arc 8's that are comiing, I'll have to switching out to something else. Probably NT05's since I'll be getting them installed for 597...or NT01's for 800....idk.....

and again, they’re pretty fucking loud...so if you daily your Z, then beware.
    Last edited by z3m.casey; 05-21-2018 at 02:06 AM.

My Cars
    Too many BSAs
    Sumi HTRZ3s on mine and I've never out-run them in the dry. Can't really comment on their wet handling. You can spend a lot more for decreasing returns that will show up on a track, not on the street.
    Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines. Enzo Ferrari

thnx to all............

no need to talk about track time.....this is a street only! conversation

Tim, I had the AS PO 2.....and in the rain they were down right scary.......I would never buy them again.

OTH I now have bfg comp AS 2.....and they are quite impressive, but I wanted something less costly.

My Cars
    2004 M3
    How do these sumitomo HTR-Z3 do in the rain?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Plenty good. I like them better in the wet than the DWS' on the wifes coupe. As a matter of fact, I replaced the DWS' with Sumis on my E39 540iT. I kept chunking the DWS'

/.randy

ok......federal is too iffy, even at the low price point.

Ill do the Sumi z3 model next..

u all convinced me

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    Im sorry........which tire are u speaking of?
    Federal SS 595

Mine are relatively new with prob only 200 miles on them. In hearing feedback about how noisy they're, it may not be the best tire for the street or daily driving. I don't think I'll mind if they get noisy since I mainly drive the roadster for autocross/track.
    Last edited by Z-Thrizzle; 05-21-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    -Phil

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Thanks, Randy. I think I will give them a go in a couple months.

My Cars
    E92 M3, E36 M3 evo, Z3
    Even the RSR-Rs had too soft sidewalls to set a serious lap time.

I strongly suggest Hankook Ventus R-S4.