Thread: Drilling holes for lap belt mounting

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S

Drilling holes for lap belt mounting

I am installing 6 point harnesses in my M and the only thing I have left to do is drill holes in the transmission tunnel to mount the inner lap belts. The problem I'm having is I'm not quite sure where to drill the hole. I'm working by myself and it's hard to get your bearings going from inside the car to underneath and vice versa.

I would like to place the hole directly across from the OE seatbelt mounting hole on the outer side, but when I go under the car it almost looks like the carrier for the center support bearing is right there. I'm also concerned that there won't be a large enough surface to get the whole backing plate flat against the sheet metal without placing the mount significantly higher up the tunnel than the OE mount is on the other side.

Does anyone have any photos of where their mount sits on the inside of the car and what that looks like underneath?

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    Special epoxies are sold to do the job you are talking about - fill the space between two parts. One is called Chockfast Orange.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Drill a small pilot hole from the inside or use a punch to indent where you want to go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    I have eyelets welded in with reinforcing plates. Wasn't able to go underneath for a pic, but here's a view from inside. The mounts are located on the diagonal part of the transmission tunnel approximately 10" forward of the rear seat bulkhead. It looks slightly closer to the bulkhead in the photo due to the angle of the camera. The correct position for your mounts depends on where your seat is located.

IMG_2676.jpg
    Last edited by NoLastName; 05-21-2018 at 10:41 AM.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by cohny View Post
    I am installing 6 point harnesses in my M and the only thing I have left to do is drill holes in the transmission tunnel to mount the inner lap belts. The problem I'm having is I'm not quite sure where to drill the hole. I'm working by myself and it's hard to get your bearings going from inside the car to underneath and vice versa.

I would like to place the hole directly across from the OE seatbelt mounting hole on the outer side, but when I go under the car it almost looks like the carrier for the center support bearing is right there. I'm also concerned that there won't be a large enough surface to get the whole backing plate flat against the sheet metal without placing the mount significantly higher up the tunnel than the OE mount is on the other side.

Does anyone have any photos of where their mount sits on the inside of the car and what that looks like underneath?
    My outboard lap mount is in the OE harness rail bolt hole, the inboard on the tunnel a bit over an inch farther back, pretty much exactly lined up with the back edge of the center console. I forget the details, but that turned out to be the location allowing the backing plate to fit under the tunnel while providing good geometry for the lap harness. And yes, it was tricky to figure out the right location. I tacked the backing plate under the tunnel so that I could insert the bolt from inside the car while working alone.

I also chose to use the Brey-Krause harness brackets (http://www.bkauto.com/R_9201_Harness...e_p/r-9201.htm), which provide a nice swivel (parts for which aren't shown in their picture) and get around the problem of properly clocking an eye-bolt. Expensive though.

Neil