Thread: Fan Clutch Deletes and Electric Fan Conversion - Easy ways to stay cool

My Cars
    BMWs and Mini's

Fan Clutch Deletes and Electric Fan Conversion - Easy ways to stay cool

Stock stuff doesn't always cut it when you're trying to maximize well... EVERYTING on the E36. SO what do we do.. ditch the mechanical fan because free horse power (ok not free, but freeing up so to speak), then the car starts to run a little hot... so time for an electrical fan to save on drag. We know this is what you want, so we made kits to make it a little easier.

Shop Fan Clutch Delete kits

Shop Electric Fan Conversion

Shop Fan Clutch Delete kits

Shop Electric Fan Conversion

Turner Motorsport
    / // Parts and Performance for BMWs
    16 South Hunt Road
    Amesbury, MA 01913
    800-280-6966
    info@turnermotorsport.com

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Links arent working for me

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    you guys do realize that when you power an electric fan, which needs electricity, which comes from the generator (which is about 35 to 45% efficient if you're lucky), which draws power from the crankshaft, that in the end you get a bigger loss of HP to power the electric fan compared to what the belt driven fan draws from the crankshaft ?

My Cars
    2011 E90 325xi

Fan Clutch Deletes and Electric Fan Conversion - Easy ways to stay cool

Quote Originally Posted by samy01 View Post
    you guys do realize that when you power an electric fan, which needs electricity, which comes from the generator (which is about 35 to 45% efficient if you're lucky), which draws power from the crankshaft, that in the end you get a bigger loss of HP to power the electric fan compared to what the belt driven fan draws from the crankshaft ?
    Does that matter? If you’re driving full speed wouldn’t the natural airflow be sufficient to cool the car and the fan can stay off? Personally I just don’t like the clutch fan... and the fact that vibrations of the engine go to the fan and cause damage

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetester View Post
    If you’re driving full speed wouldn’t the natural airflow be sufficient to cool the car and the fan can stay off?
    yes it would. and it stays off as long as temp isn't too high. you guys know how the visco clutch works?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IC
    yes it would. and it stays off as long as temp isn't too high. you guys know how the visco clutch works?
    Personally, I like the electric fan conversion because it reduces failure points. If the electric fan fails it won't be as destructive as a clutch fan.

My Cars
    2011 E90 325xi
    I only know that these things don’t work out for very long

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    At idle and low revs (stuck in traffic jam), exactly the situations when you need the fan, the alternator can be relatively efficient (maybe even 70-80% efficient). It's the fan in the alternator that makes the efficiency drop a lot at higher revs. Of course the electric fan motor also isn't 100% efficient, so the mechanical fan always wins when you compare air flow versus amount of gasoline burnt to power the fan.

The fact that the viscous fan, even in perfect working condition (high slip at lower temps, which with the years often turns into no slip at all or continuous slip), always turns along with the engine, adds unwanted rotating mass.. The viscous clutch effectively reduces the rotating mass. But the electric fan only turns on when needed. On some days/trips it never turns on, while the viscous fan would have made many revolutions, wasting energy. It always produces some air flow, even when it's not needed at all, like when cruising along.

But the most important reason why most people choose the fan delete mod is the risk of major damage to the coolant system, and, if unlucky, as a result also even worse damage to the head or head gasket, potentially turning your 20+ year old E36 into a 'total loss'.

Reducing rotating mass is the reason why people buy and install very expensive light weight fly wheels, so removing the rotating mass of the viscous clutch and the fan blades, definitely makes sense. I can feel the difference, and even though it's not that much of a difference, it's still a nice bonus once you do the fan delete mod. I also like that I now really hear the engine and not the fan. And it puts less strain on the water pump.
    Last edited by ed323i; 05-19-2018 at 06:17 PM.

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    i don't agree with many points but okay, everyone can do what he wants.