RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Code 92 CAN torque interface

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi, e46, m54

Code 92 CAN torque interface

Okay so... I got everything back together and running pretty well... No more cooling issues.

After erasing codes and running on scanner again, I get a code for the camshaft position sensor (exhaust). Causing a slight rough idle and sometimes stalls at cold start. Hopefully replacing that soon.

When driving, it is usually super smooth, and shifts are almost unnoticeable, however, if I drive harder I usually get the gear with the "!" on the dash, and then it clunks through all gears. If I turn it off for a few then start again it goes away and shifts smooth again.

The only transmission code that came back was " 92 CAN torque interface"... I've done some research online and everyone says to clean the MAF and check the boots for any tears ot air leaks and there is nothing. I replaced the elbow where the other vacuum lines hook in right before it gets to the TB. I can't find any leaks anywhere. Could the cam sensor be causeing this as well?

Usually if I am in regular drive mode, and don't get on it too hard, all is well... But if I go hard on the gas or try to drive in sport mode, this happens.

Any insight would be great. Thanks guys and girls.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi, e46, m54
    I forgot to mention that I cleaned the MAF pretty well yesterday and no difference. I did drive in sport mode today for a while before it came on again.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    If you brought the car to me with these issues, I'd first replace the exhaust cam sensor with a genuine BMW or OEM part. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-12147518628-1

This is first, because you have a code for this.

Yes, a bad cam sensor can cause a Torque interface code, because the DME is unhappy with its calculations, and told the transmission computer about it.

Steps 2 and 3 are to watch live data for the MAF, and have the intake system smoke tested for leaks.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi, e46, m54
    Cool. Sounds like a plan. I'll follow those steps and update soon. Thanks

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi, e46, m54
    I looked at that link and it's only $30..... All of the genuine bmw ones I found were like $100... Is the one in that link really up to par? Don't get me wrong I'm happy to save money, but for that price it seems like it's not what you meant to suggest?
    Last edited by Shawnk111; 05-17-2018 at 07:03 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    When FCP Euro tells me that it's an OEM part, I believe them. Note that it says the part is made in Germany, and it's an OEM item. This means "Original Equipment Manufacturer". I don't necessarily believe this, if say Autozone tells me "OEM". but I haven't had FCP lead me wrong yet. When they do, I'll stop recommending them and buying from them. Also, note that their parts all come with a lifetime guarantee.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi, e46, m54
    Awesome thanks a lot. I really thought I had to order the $118 BMW original. I'll be ordering this tonight

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    even the OE part shouldn't run over $100 - time to up the googlefu!!
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi, e46, m54
    On pelican parts it is. All the ones I've found around $30 have been off brand.... Now pelican parts does have one for $30, but the manufacturer name is O.E.M. lol....

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...VSVSI=0243.htm

Plus I'm usually sketchy about just buying from websites I'm not familiar with. Dirtracer suggested fcpeuro, so I trust them since you recommended it, but if he hadn't recommended it I wouldn't have bought there simply because I've never heard of it.
    Last edited by Shawnk111; 05-17-2018 at 07:26 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hmmmm......I don't like seeing that "O.E.M." is (quote) "an OEM supplier to BMW", at Pelican Parts. Because, well, I have also always trusted Pelican Parts. Now, if Pelican Parts shows something sketchy, and "OEM" is the name of the company, I'm going to have to wonder whether FCP is suffering the same issue. OR, are both actually offering a quality German part by a supplier I've personally never heard of, but really does supply parts to BMW?

Shawn, I'm going to have to back off my rather "unconditional" recommendation here, because I agree, something sounds a bit fishy. Now, that said, FCP really does have a lifetime warranty, so you will be covered, if the sensor ever goes bad. Still, I always buy ganuine BMW sensors, or original equipment manufacturer sensors....like.....Seimens/VDO, Bosch, etc.

Give FCP a call, and ask them who made the part.

- - - Updated - - -

There's always the online dealerships:
    https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...or-12147518628

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi, e46, m54
    Okay, I'll do a little more research on them and see what I can find. If I'm gonna pay that much for it, it would be nice to just be able to go to the dealership and pick it up, but I'm 2 hours from a dealership so that's too much work and I'd rather not drive the car that far until everything is straight.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Bmwdirectparts.com - bmw dealer with great pricing.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi, e46, m54
    I ordered the one from FCP... Made in Germany and lifetime warranty, so I'll give it a shot. Should be here this week. Hope this fixes the tranny issue cus I'm ready to put my food down on the pedal hard lol

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Be sure to comeback and update us on how that " O.E.M." part performs,
    as I'm also not convinced by a manufacturer self-named O.E.M. vs an actual,
    (OE)Original Equipment or (OEM)Original Equipment Manufacturer supplied replacement part.

Chris and others,
    maybe all of us should put in a complaint to FCPEuro,
    about how they provide descriptions-validations to their parts,
    Very confusing, but then that could be their intent.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I have been extraordinarily happy about the honesty with which FCP labels their products. In my experience, no other supplier besides Pelican provides such transparency. It seems that this particular manufacturer "O.E.M.", has either caused the exact same conundrum with both FCP and Pelican.....or, indeed, O.E.M. is an OEM supplier to BMW.

Hell, the sensor is made in Germany, 2 very reliable companies call the manufacturer an OEM supplier, and FCP even gives a lifetime warranty. Really, I can't fault FCP or Pelican. I doubt that there is any intent to mislead, on either company's part. These two suppliers just don't lie, in my experience.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Exactly,I am trusting that they are not changing,
    as FCP is my-go to-parts supplier!
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 05-22-2018 at 06:50 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi, e46, m54
    Okay so... I put the new sensor in yesterday... And broke the plastic wp pulley in the process lol... So I got a metal wp pulley today and now it's back together.

I went back to my old shop and ran the codes before erasing...

Engine codes:
    12- signal, camshaft sensor, exhaust
    8 - signal, Mas airflow sensor
    41- signal, camshaft sensor, inlet
    53- signal, crankshaft sensor
    F4- segment timing, true running disturbed

Transmission:
    92- can torque interface
    93- can engine speed

I erased those codes and went for a drive, hoping the new camshaft sensor would make the transmission issie go away... I definitely noticed a little bit more power, nothing too major, however, as soon as I got over 4500 rpm, the ! Came back up and started shifting rough. I pulled over, turned the car off for 5 min, restarted and it was okay again. Continued driving but did not go over 4500rpm... The "!" Did not come back, but the service engine light came on... So I took it back to the shop, and got these codes

Engine:
    8- signal, mass airflow sensor
    E3- fuel bank 1, permissible range exceeded
    E4- fuel bank 2, permissible range exceeded

Transmission:
    92- can torque interface
    93 was not there this time.

I cleaned the MAF again, and have not driven it again yet... I also replaced the first boot that connects to the MAF, but not the one that connects to the TB (it is in the mail)

On a side note, the exhaust camshaft position sensor code did not come back yet... So I guess that part from FCP euro was good

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi, e46, m54
    Update: When the above mentioned wp pulley broke, it caused the belt to get pinched between the other belt and it's tensioner. This put a bit of a crimp in the belt.... I hoped it would last a day or two, but it broke. The car still ran so I drove home which took maybe 30 seconds. When I got home and looked, I was leaking a good amount of dark brown fluid on the ground. I was thinking oil, but I just changed that so it shouldn't be so dark. So I'm guessing it messed with the transmission cooler lines. If that's the case then it's super dark for atf lol. Hopefully just knocked it loose and didn't brake the line. I'll have a look at it tomorrow. But it's just a good example of not buying cheap parts (plastic wp pulley) and not using questionable parts.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You either have a major intake/ccv system leak, or a bad MAF. I'd suggest a smoke test, and watch live data for the MAF.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi, e46, m54
    Replaced MAF problem resolved. Still dealing with a couple other issues, but this transmission issue has ended with a new MAF

My Cars
    e53 and e90 M3

FCP Euro

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    When FCP Euro tells me that it's an OEM part, I believe them. Note that it says the part is made in Germany, and it's an OEM item. This means "Original Equipment Manufacturer". I don't necessarily believe this, if say Autozone tells me "OEM". but I haven't had FCP lead me wrong yet. When they do, I'll stop recommending them and buying from them. Also, note that their parts all come with a lifetime guarantee.
    I have an E53 3.01 and an E90 M3. Once I discovered FCP Euro, it is my go to for OEM type parts. You can by genuine BMW, OE equivalent and OEM equivalent as well as other off brands. Their site does a good job of explaining the difference. You can get parts by the original supplier, but without the BMW logo for about half of BMW. They are great with shipping and great with returns. As bmwdirtracer said, they have not lead me wrong yet, and I have ordered dozens and dozens of parts from them.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Totally agree.
    FCPEuro is my go to for quality parts also.

My Cars
    Bmw
    I know this is a really old post . But am dealing with an e46 Code 92 CAN torque interface. Tried every thing to no avail. Changed the Maf change the valvetronic motor . Read some where I should check the eccentric camshaft sensor. I’ll appreciate some help please

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Welcome to the forum.

Whatever engine you have in your E46, we didn't have it in the US. Please give us the last seven digits of your VIN so we know what car we're discussing.

CAN Torque Interface basically means that the DME isn't sharing information on torque with the other computers. The most common cause of this is a missing value from the MAF. I understand that you've thrown a MAF at it...but (a) was it a new Siemens/VDO or Bosch MAF or cheap Chinese?, and (b) is the signal reaching the DME?

I'd suggest getting your car connected to ISTA (BMW's own diag system), to run the test plan for your code.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412