Thread: Instrument Cluster OBC

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i

Instrument Cluster OBC

Hi,
    I have an 01 325i with an instrument cluster that is starting to go bad. Occasionally the screen flickers, and the clock adjuster does not work anymore (typical problem). Anyways, I am debating on getting a new instrument cluster. My turn signal stalk does not have the "BC" button to switch the clock to other things like mpg and range, but my question is, if I buy an instrument cluster that does have those functions, can I replace my turn signal stalk with one that has BC button and make them compatible? My goal would be to add the feature of the scrolling through the functions using the BC button if possible. If not, I guess I could just get the same model cluster (boring). Either way with whatever cluster I get, I'm going to have the mileage programmed to match my current mileage. Does anyone know where a good place to do that is? I found a service on eBay that can do it for $70.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

All the clusters had the "BC" function, you will need to just turn it on using PROGMAN or similar. You will just need the new stalk and know somebody that can program the car. I don't know the ebay guy, so I cannot help on that. My go to guy is Able, his handle is 328 Power 04
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    Thank you for your response. I am not familiar with how to use PROGMAN or how to get access to it. So to suit what I am looking for, I would need to install the new stalk and gauge cluster, then get someone to program the cluster for the mileage and to work with the stalk? I'm trying to figure out what order I should go through the procedure.

If I went to a junkyard and pulled a matching cluster and stalk that has the BC button, would they automatically work together in my car? Then I'd just have to get someone to program the mileage?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The mileage has to be programmed or else you’ll get the “tamper dot” in the readout. The mileage is stored in the lighting control module (LKM). Find a shop that specializes in bimmers at www.bimrs.org. The shop should have the software to load the mileage (so you don’t get the tamper dot) and set up the “BC” stalk function.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    PROGMAN is a suite of BMW tools, and if you don't plan on doing much in the way of changing much on the car, it would be better to just have a shop do it after you get the stalk in. If you have an older laptop with a serial port, you can get it to work. It takes some time to learn how to use it.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    Thanks! I found a shop in Greensboro, NC that said they could mirror the information stored in the chip from my gauge cluster directly over to a used one of the same part number, that way I don’t get the tamper dot and my car will think it is the original cluster. I’m hoping that works! Then after I get that settled I can install a stalk with the BC button and get a shop to activate/program that. Just in case for some reason my car rejects the used cluster after it has been programmed and the tamper dot comes on, will I be able to get the tamper dot off again but re installing my factory cluster?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The tamper dot results from
    a mismatch in the mileage numbers between the that in the LKM and that in the cluster.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    The tamper dot results from
    a mismatch in the mileage numbers between the that in the LKM and that in the cluster.
    Technically it results from a mismatch of the VIN, not mileage.

Anyway OP:

Don't bother with progman, it's an old, slow, and a bloated piece of software. Look up NCS Expert (head to the diagnostic software section of this forum and read - you'll figure it out in time).

Fixing the mileage is a little bit tougher of a call. You'll need to reprogram the chip directly.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 05-21-2018 at 12:24 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Good to know! So if you correct the VIN mismatch does the cluster “adopt” the mileage from the LKM?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Good to know! So if you correct the VIN mismatch does the cluster “adopt” the mileage from the LKM?
    Unfortunately it only "adopts" the mileage if the cluster mileage is set to 0. If the VIN matches, tamper dot won't show, but it'll count the the mileage from whatever the cluster is currently set to.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    Is the tamper dot permanent once it is activated or will it go away once the vin matches again?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Once everything matches up, the dot will go away, so no worries on that.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member