RM European Auto Parts

Thread: aFe filters will not fit

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp

aFe filters will not fit

Hello;
    While I was working with the throttle actuators spark plugs and ignitions coils, since I had to take the air filter boxes out I opted to install aFe air filters. Well, ordered them... I had the airbox bottom and top halves out of the car to do the more complex parts exchange ahead. When trying to install the filters I could not get the airboxes to close! The surround gasket that seal the filters are too thick, could not get them to latch.

I may have to take another weekend, disassemble everything again, put the air filters in the boxes and see if the surrounding gasket can be trimmed without compromising the seals. I have yet to see if it's the lower or upper half of the gasket that stops the latches from closing. If there's anybody that can provide some insight as to how to trim the gaskets, it will save me lots of time. I don't want to trim too much that will make the seals leak.

My Cars
    BMW
    Guessing this is for the E63 M6 correct?

The airbox design on the S85 has a little lip where the filter sits. You have to pay extra attention with aftermarket filters that the filer is properly seated or you have zero chance of getting the lids closed. You shouldn't need to do any trimming if you have it all lined up properly. It's a bit of a pain on your car with aftermarket filters sadly.

-James

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Hello James, Thanks for your reply ! Not only did I pay extra attention to the filter lips on the power boxes, even tried to get the @#$% things to close when I placed the filters on the top and tried to close them by lowering them as one unit on top of the lower boxes. I was doing throttle body actuators, spark plugs and ignition coils at the same time, mechanical ability is not an issue, I know how to close an airbox.
    PS: I am a brain surgeon, Think I can handle closing an airbox clip.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Jose, I'd recommend against using oiled air filters of any kind, on your car, or any car that uses Mass Airflow Sensors. The oil is terrible for MAFs, and there is zero performance benefit, and zero filtration benefit over stock filters. I'd personally recommend that you return them, and buy stock items. BMW didn't give away any horsepower on an S 85 by cheaping out on the air filters.

Chris

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Hello; Tried returning the filters after several emails about how the airboxes would not close: return denied!!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Sorry I can't be of more help. Like James, I've had many issues with cramming aftermarket filters into stock boxes; they usually have what seems like oversized edges. I don't doubt your acumen or agility, but I can tell you that I've cursed for a long time, when I've been instructed to fit aftermarket filters to stock boxes, because they always seem too damned puffy on the edges.

Can I ask you to tell the name of the company which denied your return? We need to know that, on this forum. I will tell you, for instance, that ECS Tuning would never deny your return, for such an issue. We try, at this forum, to fairly and honestly represent those companies which do a good job, and those which don't. Please go ahead and name the company which refused to honor a return of an unused part because of fitment issues to a stock vehicle.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Well..here it goes:
    Theo Simonian EuroMegaShop Corona, CA

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Thank you, sir. It's always difficult to know which companies do, or don't, provide good aftersales support for their customers. This is, perhaps, one of the very most important criteria, when choosing a BMW parts supplier.

Personally, I consider it unforgivable if a company won't accept a return for a product of this nature, under these circumstances. It won't be a EuroMegaShop for very long, if that's the way they treat their customers.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412