Thread: Central Locking Gremlins

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan

Central Locking Gremlins

Alright new on this forum and I know the usual response "use the search button''. Believe me I have searched the internet high and low and just want some opinions.

SO here we go I have a 97 M3 4 doors that I've owned for 12 years not sure exactly when this issue arose but when I lock the doors I get varying results. If I use the key in the drivers door I can get all the doors to lock either on the first or second try depends. If I use the key on the pax door the drivers door does not lock. If I hit the lock button on the center console the doors will lock after some cycling of the locks but the drivers door usually never locks. If I use the remote the drivers door usually never locks but all the others will after some cycling.

I've pulled the drivers seat out to check the wiring underneath, it looked brand new no corrosion. I pulled the glove box and looked at all that wiring and crap looks good too. I pulled the door card off and checked the actuator in the drivers door. I have 11-12 volts when you hit the lock button or so it appears it comes and goes quick. Not sure how to test the other wires that are there that give it the lock unlock signal. Before i started messing with it you couldn't hear the drivers door lock actuator trying to work, now you can but it seems to having trouble getting it up or down(no pun intended).

I don't think its the door switches and Im questionable about the drivers door lock actuator, I have replaced it before.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4, ''23 T4R Pro
    I'm curious as well even though I'm thinking my issue is an actuator. My two back doors decide on their own if they want to lock when I try to lock them....very random when they decide to lock.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    If it's the driver's door which won't lock/unlock from any location except for a key in the driver's door, you need to replace the actuator in the driver's door. The actuators are what toggle the locks remotely when you either hit the switch or put the key in a different door. They can wear out. My car had the same issue.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    It’s kind of like what xiphos said to though they decide on their own when to work. Like just now I used the key in the drivers door and the drivers pax door didn’t lock. Cycled again and they all locked.
    The drivers door is trying to work now when you use the button or remote just seems like it doesn’t have the balls to do it. The actuator has been replaced maybe 5-6 years ago I wonder if I didn’t install it totally correct

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Some Chaffed wires in the trunks loom, fixed those no change. I also notice I can push down and lock every door but the drivers door. It won’t let me push down the post. Can anyone else verify if this is normal or not.