Thread: Leather Glue

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER

Leather Glue

What type cement/glue should be used to form a permanent bond on this leather so it won't lift off the dashboard? (see photo)
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Try 3M 90

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    Check with your local upholstery shop or any place that does headlliners
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"

My Cars
    broads & booze!!!
    my wife uses e6000 to hold rhinestones on ice skater's dresses. read the label. A tube may be all you need.

I'm too old to learn how to drive an automatic.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    I've recently repaired a torn leather jacket with contact cement. It's my go-to for sneakers with separating soles, and anything that I want to remain flexible but perpetually affixed. Contact cement is basically rubber cement, but don't let that make you think it's temporary or just for construction paper crafts. It's the glue that they use to adhere formica (countertop surfaces) to wood countertops. The thing with contact cement is you have to spread it on both surfaces, then let them dry for like ten minutes, and then press them together. Once the two dried glue surfaces touch, there's almost no separating them, so try to be sure you have it positioned correctly on the first try. It holds basically forever but won't crack if the object flexes.

You can get contact cement by the quart or gallon from a hardware store. Yeah, it smells a bit, but that goes away once it's all dried.

E6000 is also a great glue.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Thanks for the replies guys

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    I have the same Tanin Red extended leather dash and had an upholstery shop recover my driver's side pod over 10 years ago. He told me that the glue has changed due to environmental concerns. That being said, there are probably many glues that will work, but they have to stand up to sustained high heat. Most of the dash is black plastic and directly under the windshield. If the sun is shining on this most of the day and the outside temperature is in the 80's or 90's it is not unreasonable to see a temperature on this part of the dash in excess of 130 degrees or higher. Whatever glue you use, it needs to be stable up to high temperatures. Once you do this repair, consider using a dash cover when you park to prevent direct sun on top of the extended leather dash.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra1956 View Post
    Check with your local upholstery shop or any place that does headlliners

bingo

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    Morrie, I have some cans laying around. Send me your address and I will send you one, N/C. Cant beat free
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.8
    I make leather goods. Gun and knife holsters mostly but we use barge rubber cement to glue leather together before we sew it. Best glue for leather I have found

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    S54 M-Coupe (Estoril Blu
    this is what I used to do all the leather work in my car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maddog

My Cars
    1998 Z3 with 1.9/auto
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
    my wife uses e6000 to hold rhinestones on ice skater's dresses. read the label. A tube may be all you need.
    So how long have you been skating?

Sorry I was lead to do that by my strange sense of humor.
    -Marshall

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra1956 View Post
    Morrie, I have some cans laying around. Send me your address and I will send you one, N/C. Cant beat free
    Sorry, I have been working on removing my dashboard and replying to this thread slipped my mind. I took my trim pieces to a upholstery shop to ask what type contact cement they used. The guy showed me and then took the time to glue one of the pieces for me. Then he gave me some cement to take home to do the other piece. I learned something watching him. Heat on the leather after cement is applied will help bond the leather to the plastic piece. Thanks much for the offer, Cobra. However if you want to share, I'll pm my address to you. Never know when I might need some for the future.

My Cars
    tesla model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE View Post
    What type cement/glue should be used to form a permanent bond on this leather so it won't lift off the dashboard? (see photo)
    Shoe Goo and Gorilla are one of the common good glues for leather adhesive. I use Shoe Goo on a few pairs of shoes and other similar items and it works well. If you need to bond rubber, plastic, canvas, leather, fabric, or other footwear materials, Shoe Goo can fix the problem and really stick.