Thread: Electric fan runs nonstop and other oddities

My Cars
    2001 z3 coupe

Electric fan runs nonstop and other oddities

This all relates to a 2001 M54B30 coupe. I just noticed two or three days ago that my electric fan runs as soon as the ignition switch is in the "ON" position and before I have started the engine. It runs constantly as long as the car is on. Nothing shows up error wise (that I can find), but it is contemporaneous with some other problems. My airbag light is on and I have errors:

ECU: MRS3
    240 (internal ECU)
    17 (Supply voltage - not active at the moment / sporadic
    5 (Ignition circuit ZK4 with notes; not active at the moment, resistor too large, error is sporadic)
    6 (Ignition circuit ZK5->side airbag front right with the same notes).

The airbag light has been on my list for a while, and am just now getting time to address. Also, passenger seat appears to be dead.

I don't want to confound this issue and this probably belongs in a separate thread, but my secondary air pump also has errors:

ECU: KOMBI36C
    199 lever type sensor 1 (short circuit to batt+)
    139 chime t3 (short circuit to ground)

My alarm started randomly going off a while back, so I simply quit using it. I assumed, before I got INPA to check, that it was a bad sensor somewhere. I haven't been successful getting INPA to check the alarm system so just throwing it all in a pot to see what those more knowledgeable than myself can make of it.

I don't know if any of this is connected, but any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Which fan are you talking about? A/C condensor/radiator or the cabin/heater fan? Neither one is computer controlled, so there will be no codes or any other form of scanner diagnostics.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 z3 coupe
    Sorry, this is the electric radiator fan.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The fan comes on any time the radiator temp switch is closed, or any time the A/C is enabled. This is slightly different than the M version, where it comes on any time the A/C button is on.

If your A/C is on, turn it off and see if the fan shuts down.

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Is you a/c switch on. The fan should always run when the a/c is on

My Cars
    skateboard
    Maybe a former owner had it hard wired on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    To address some other questions

SRS 240 used to be a death sentence. See Abel's thread about it, currently on the front page here.

What sort of issue with the SAP?

Don't know on the cluster codes.

Random alarms are normally a flakey hood switch or radio switch. Many just unplug the offending switches.

/.randy

My Cars
    -
    The code "139 chime t3 (short circuit to ground)" just tells us that he unplugged the dinger module.

My Cars
    2001 z3 coupe
    Thanks for the info everyone. The radiator fan was just the AC button - I had no idea . . . The car runs fine, and having read the SRS threads that I did find, I'm wondering if my dead passenger seat could have anything to do with all of this. Any recommendations for removing a seat that I can't move forward?
    Last edited by cabinum; 05-17-2018 at 08:48 AM.

My Cars
    '10 GTI / '98 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by cabinum View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. The radiator fan was just the AC button - I had no idea . . . The car runs fine, and having read the SRS threads that I did find, I'm wondering if my dead passenger seat could have anything to do with all of this. Any recommendations for removing a seat that I can't move forward?
    Chiming in since I recently had a non-functioning seat motor. I found a thread... somewhere... that walked through the steps to use a drill to run the worm gear that moves the seat. I have no clue where that thread is at.

Basically, the seat motor is at the front of the seat. You'll see a covered wire coming out of each side of it and running to each seat rail. Remove that wire from the motor (a few screws possibly?), but keep it attached at the seat rail. Clamp that free end of the wire in your drill and spin (can't remember which direction moves the seat which way). You'll need to repeat on each side back and forth in order to not bind it up by moving one side too much. Pretty straight-forward once you get in there and see what's what.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladecatcher View Post
    Chiming in since I recently had a non-functioning seat motor.
    Ha, I just fixed my dead drivers side height motor. It has never worked since I've owned the car, so I hit it with a hammer (moderate force) and it came back to life.

The motor at the front is the height motor, not the forward/back motor. Right? At least when I hit that one, my height adjustment worked again.

Worm gear schworm gear.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 05-17-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42