Thread: Major Oil Leak!!

My Cars
    2004 X5

Major Oil Leak!!

I've got a problem with my 2004 X5 4.4. This happened a while ago, but since the X5 is my summer car, I parked it until now. On one particularly cold winter morning a few months ago, I started my X5, but it took some time to start. Once it did, the engine ran rather roughly for a while, but it did eventually smooth out. I only drove about 3km and then left it for a couple of hours. When I returned to it at lunch, I noticed a gigantic pool (not puddle) of oil beneath the engine. I checked the dipstick and while it still had oil on it, I had to make an emergency run with it, so off I went. It started fine, ran like a top and no fault lights/codes/messages. When I got to my destination, I could see oil pouring out beneath the engine! Checked the dipstick again - still ok, but I had to get back, so against my better judgment, I drove it back... all seemed fine - sounded fine, lots of power, no errors. When I arrived back at work, I left it running and observed the engine from beneath and saw the oil pouring out. When I turned the engine off, the oil leak stopped after a few seconds... again, the leak was pouring out, not just dripping.

The X5 has been parked ever since, but it's time to get it back on the road (hopefully).

Any ideas?

CCV failure?

Oil pan?

Cracked block?

Any suggestions would help!

My Cars
    2007 bmw x3
    My 2007 X3 had a major leak at the oil filter housing. Some of the bolts were loose. Check there.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Alternator mounting plate, when they leak they can just poor out oil, driver side front of t
    the engine. It's the what the alternator bolts to. There is oil pressure behind that plate. But this is just a thought. You need to dx the leaks first