RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Rebuilding E46 M3 6 Speed Transmission

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51

Rebuilding E46 M3 6 Speed Transmission

Does anyone know who rebuilds these? I've only been told to replace it.

Long story short I got a E46 M3 tranny cheap. Turns out its hard to make the 1-2 shift and leaks fluid and whines. It's only a matter of time before it's toast.

I was wondering if there are shops with a quick turnaround that could rebuild it for a decent cost.

Thanks dudes. I'm located in PA by the way.

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    98 M3,02 996,04 M3, ++
    Bimmerworks in West Chester may be able to help.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Seals are pretty easy, it's splitting open the case is when the fun begins. Sounds like a 2nd gear syncro is on it's way out to me.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    Sorry to hijack, but if a synchro is bad does it overheat?
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    No, but it can make it very hard to get into gear unless you rev-match. But not having enough fluid can make the transmission very hot.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    In Pennsylvania, I'd recommend contacting VAC Motorsport.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender13Bender View Post
    Does anyone know who rebuilds these? I've only been told to replace it.

Long story short I got a E46 M3 tranny cheap. Turns out its hard to make the 1-2 shift and leaks fluid and whines. It's only a matter of time before it's toast.

I was wondering if there are shops with a quick turnaround that could rebuild it for a decent cost.

Thanks dudes. I'm located in PA by the way.
    I know this is old, but I just did an auto to 6-speed E46 M3 manual swap in my '99 E36 M3 and am having the same issue with the used Getrag 420g trans I bought. It is noisy, but it also sometimes grinds going into 2nd, and more often when going into 3rd gears, so I am thinking I may have synchros that are on their way out. I am in SE PA also and was wondering if you had any luck with VAC, Bimmerworks or some other shop in the area, or if anyone else has any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Since my above post, I've had two good friends who took their cars to VAC......and WAITED.....and WAITED....and WAITED, for what should have been reasonably quick jobs. Plus, they both got pushed into a bunch of stuff they didn't need or ask for, or want.

I therefore change my recommendation to PARTS ONLY, for VAC. Their slow, non-customer oriented service has become quite infamous, in the last couple of years, among many BMW racers, techs, and owners.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Since my above post, I've had two good friends who took their cars to VAC......and WAITED.....and WAITED....and WAITED, for what should have been reasonably quick jobs. Plus, they both got pushed into a bunch of stuff they didn't need or ask for, or want.

I therefore change my recommendation to PARTS ONLY, for VAC. Their slow, non-customer oriented service has become quite infamous, in the last couple of years, among many BMW racers, techs, and owners.
    Thanks for the heads up. I stopped by there today and they told me they dont rebuild Getrag trannies due to the time consuming processes and resulting high cost. They suggested returning the defective one and sourcing another used one. They did indicate that in general, the ZFs are generally smoother and more reliable. Problem is the ZFs were not made for use in the E46 M3s...

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post

Thanks for the quick response. Guess I will try the place in West Chester. Turner sells 'race ready' remanufactured units for $5800 (plus and $800 refundable core charge), but that is a little rich for my blood... I probably should have just gone with a five speed and dealt with the higher rpms at cruising speed....

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Try this:
    http://car-part.com/
    Not a bunch available, but I'm seeing a couple for $1800-2k, used. Stuff like this will usually come with a warranty of at least 3 months.

(I have a G420, as a spare, but it's for a V8, and the bellhousing won't match up. Too bad, because I think it would be easier to find the V8 version)
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 05-12-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    There are only a few places/people in the country who rebuild them. Apparently it’s pretty complex and precise and you need a very heavy duty press.

Lscman on this forum has rebuilt them. Jim Blanton might do it. Metric Metric might do it. Probably a few others but I don’t have any more leads.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Thanks, yeah, I have been checking that site for something I could pick up but doesnt have crazy high miles. will keep looking....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    There are only a few places/people in the country who rebuild them. Apparently it’s pretty complex and precise and you need a very heavy duty press.

Lscman on this forum has rebuilt them. Jim Blanton might do it. Metric Metric might do it. Probably a few others but I don’t have any more leads.
    Thanks guys. I also tried Bavarian Specialties in King of Prussia, PA, but they were too busy to even try it right now (said maybe they could do it in the winter, but didn't seem too excited about taking it on due to time, difficulty sourcing parts, etc.). Mike, the owner, did recommend Metric Mechanics though, so I tried calling them but got their voicemail and have not heard back from them yet, but am hoping that when I do, they do synchros in 420g's. Am actually thinking of going with the Diffsonline or Turner unit but they are pricey, and if I return my $1600 dud tranny, I will have to tack on another $800 core charge plus shipping.. Any help/suggestions appreciated.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Give up and try the 22rpd conversion kit to put the zf gs6-53 into the E36?

Diffsonline supposedly builds for Turner. You could call Dan. Maybe if business is slow you could get a better price direct. But it’s prices are usually high.

I have a used 420G I will be selling instead of putting into my E36 — going with the zf conversion kit, which is also expensive but replacement trans are more widely available should you need one.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post

I have a used 420G I will be selling instead of putting into my E36 — going with the zf conversion kit, which is also expensive but replacement trans are more widely available should you need one.
    How much are you thinking about listing that 420G for?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Probably what I paid for it — $400, but I just moved and it’s in storage for a couple of months until I get my shop set up in my new house.