Thread: Another small win!

My Cars
    97 2.8 Z3; 01 2.5i Z3

Another small win!

I just recently bought my Z3 with a little over 38,000 miles and it has just a few "minor"issues but ones that I want to get fixed. For one, my console trip computer/clock was not operating, or at least I thought that because the display was not illuminating. I started digging by removing the radio (which shows "CODE WAIT") and then removing the trip computer. I had earlier noticed that if I pressed on the display screen, it would light up and show just in the area of finger pressure. When I removed it, I noticed that this front cover wasn't completely snug against the body, so the actual display piece wasn't making contact. After fixing this, I plugged it back in and viola`!! It works! I also took this opportunity to capture the make and serial no. of the radio. It appears that it's an Alpine unit. Also, if ANYONE can tell me WHY THIS SITE ROTATES MY IMAGES 90 degrees and HOW TO STOP IT, I'd appreciate it. It does it EVERY TIME. WTH???
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Great job on fixing the trip computer.

As for your images, when you take them, the orientation is stored in them. Some photo programs will automatically try and adjust them to the correct orientation, so they will look OK on your computer, but some programs/sites don't take that into account, so they appear rotated. With my mac, I have to edit the pictures by rotating them 360 degrees, even when they appear correct, then saving them to get past this.
    1998 Z3 1.9L Dinan Stage 3.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
    I have to edit the pictures by rotating them 360 degrees
    I rotate mine 720 degrees, sometimes 1,080 degrees.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 05-17-2018 at 05:10 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
    ... With my mac, I have to edit the pictures by rotating them 360 degrees, even when they appear correct, then saving them to get past this.
    With my Macs, I don't have to do this. I don't think the computer, or browser or website does the "rotation". I think it's done by the camera. I use a iPhone and I think its camera imbeds the right metadata for viewing.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    Too many BSAs
    I believe Vintage42 is correct. My Moto G (Android, obviously) intermittently does the same and I've yet to figure out what triggers it. As mentioned, save, edit, save again and you should be good to go.
    Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines. Enzo Ferrari

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I've noticed if you take the pic in landscape instead of portrait mode they post correctly. I've been able to rotate portraits 360 that originally uploaded rotated.

My Cars
    97 2.8 Z3; 01 2.5i Z3
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll see if anything changes after I edit a couple but I also use my iPhone-6S to take the pics and I'm careful to orient the phone straight up but I'll see if a "landscape" shot makes any difference and I can easily edit and save on my macbook so I'll see if anything changes. It's kind of a PITA that it happens but I guess it could always be worse...LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    LOL. Do you get dizzy?

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bellssn690 View Post

LOL. Do you get dizzy?
    I was being facetious. I use a Samsung phone and a Windows computer for photos. If they come in 90 degrees off, I rotate them 90 degrees and they post as they show on my computer.

I don't speak Crapple.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    97 2.8 Z3; 01 2.5i Z3
    I was being facetious. I use a Samsung phone and a Windows computer for photos. If they come in 90 degrees off, I rotate them 90 degrees and they post as they show on my computer.

I don't speak Crapple.
    And I was kidding myself. I know how many degrees a full rotation is and I knew you were being funny as well but I also know that jimmyfloyd was trying to help me by explaining how he has to give a full rotation and save it just to force it to recognize the orientation he wants. Good for you that you use what you like and it works for you. I don't post too many pics on this site but hate it when my pics show up rotated despite my having taken them oriented correctly, and I was simply asking if others experience it on this site (it doesn't happen to me on other forums, btw) and what they do to fix it. I happen to LOVE my Apple Mac and know that it ISN'T the problem because it only happens HERE. I didn't post this to start a bashing session of Apple or Windows PCs. Sorry if you took offense but that's not what was intended.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    And I was kidding myself. I know how many degrees a full rotation is and I knew you were being funny as well but I also know that jimmyfloyd was trying to help me by explaining how he has to give a full rotation and save it just to force it to recognize the orientation he wants. Good for you that you use what you like and it works for you. I don't post too many pics on this site but hate it when my pics show up rotated despite my having taken them oriented correctly, and I was simply asking if others experience it on this site (it doesn't happen to me on other forums, btw) and what they do to fix it. I happen to LOVE my Apple Mac and know that it ISN'T the problem because it only happens HERE. I didn't post this to start a bashing session of Apple or Windows PCs. Sorry if you took offense but that's not what was intended.
    Hey, no worries at all. Tone comes across differently on forums sometimes. I was 100% making my comments in jest the entire time. I found it funny that you have to rotate 360 degrees to get something to rotate 90 degrees.

Happy picture posting! I hate Windows too.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    With my Macs, I don't have to do this. I don't think the computer, or browser or website does the "rotation". I think it's done by the camera. I use a iPhone and I think its camera imbeds the right metadata for viewing.
    Yes, it is the camera that stores it in the metadata, but it is the computer/browser/website that reads that data and chooses to use it or not. On my Mac, it sets the rotation so that it is viewable as it was originally, but I believe the files are all written in the same orientation. So when the file looks correct on my computer, it still might show up on a website sideways. So rotating the photo 360 degrees and saving it updates the metadata so it views properly when uploaded to sites. Again, it is site/computer/program specific as to whether they take the metadata into account when displaying it.

Yep, that's what I was aiming to do.
    1998 Z3 1.9L Dinan Stage 3.

My Cars
    bmw z3
    Me too.
    And then I say "Wheeeee!!!"