Thread: Wiring aftermarket gauges

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe

Wiring aftermarket gauges

So I can't seem to find much info about wiring for aftermarket gauges and I haven't done any wiring in a very long time so I am extremely rusty. I just purchased some Innovate digital gauges (Water temp/Voltage and oil pressure/temp) and will be mounting them to my steering column.

I WAS planning on just wiring everything near the headlight switch but it seems that switch wires are not as accessible as on other cars (at least based on pictures). So for my gauges I need the following:

A switched 12V to be used with at least a 2A fuse
    A ground (ideally not from the radio or ignition to avoid noise)
    a headlight power wire (power supplied only when headlights are turned on) and not from the Dimming switch (gauges specifically say they will malfunction)

Where are some ideal wires to tap into near the steering column? If I am running the two gauges, I should be able to just join the matching wires together in parallel and run a single wire to my power sources/grounds. What size wire is ideal to use (that would split into the separate gauges).

Thanks

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    You should be able to access all the wires from underneath the column by just removing the coverings. Then just steal the power from the light switch. If you’re worried about the fuse buy an in-line fuse.
    I’d assume you mean you need a constant 12v source to which you should be able to find from the light switch as well.

My Cars
    M3
    Just run it off the battery with a fuse and toggle switch, being digital you may not want them on at night if cruising.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    The gauge is meant to be wired to a headlight power wire which in turn, when the head lights are switched on, dims the gauge light.

Are there any good ground points under the dash?

If say both gauges each require a 12v source with a 2A fuse, once I connect two gauges together, that means I should probably run what...a 5A fuse?

Side note, my gauges have warning lights which I can set. What is the max coolant temp, oil temp and oil pressures that a stock e36 can run at?

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Does it say how many amps the gauges draw? If they’re requiring 2 each then ya just put a 5 the wires on the car should be able to handle the extra load.

And yes they’re a a lot of grounds under there that are bolted to some of the metal parts you’ll see them

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    Cool. Yeah there isn't any exact specifications in the manual; it only says to use a minimum of a 2A fuse for the switched power.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    Anyways, gauges are all wired up (using the glove box light fuse for my switched 12V). I still need to run a headlight power wire (switched on, when the headlights turn on). I figured I would tap into one of the wires running to the switch or even to the dimmer wire. Any ideas which color wires are which? I don't know how to test the headlight switch in place and thus covering up the pins.

My Cars
    GTS3 E36, 97 M3/4/5
    There are usually a few different wires to connect when putting in gauges:

1. switched power
    2. ground
    3. signal
    4. light (power when lights on)
    5. light ( some use a second ground)
    6. light (dimmer)

I think the dimmer wire is blue / red stripe and runs off the dial switch on the dash.