Thread: Dinan Transmission Chip

My Cars
    F13 M6

Dinan Transmission Chip

Anyone have the Dinan chip on their 540ia? I hate the current shift points and wonder if this is a useful and noticeable upgrade?
    I bought Frank's car!

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    I have the chip in my 2000 540it. I'm not convinced i like it. It's great when getting on the highway and want rapid acceleration, however in town it can be a little annoying. Shifts can be kind of sudden and abrupt at initial accel. My wife hates it. It requires you be really gentle with the pedal.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    What do you not like about the shift points? I find the stock shift points well matched to the dynamics of the engine, and sport mode too late in traffic. It might also help to ID the car beyond "Frank's car".

/.randy

My Cars
    F13 M6
    I feel the car shifts way too soon, even in sport mode. I bought the car with the expectation of swapping the transmission to a manual and that's still in the works but in the meantime I'd like for her to be a little less civilized. Regarding "Frank's car" it's a 98 540ia that I bought from a local forum member. He actually lives about 5 miles from me and I've never seen the car around before... 206k miles, fully loaded with 4:3 nav, wood trim, Motorola phone in the arm rest etc.
    I bought Frank's car!

My Cars
    F13 M6
    I should also mention the 540 is not my daily driver. She's a garage queen/project that I only take out on the weekends so driving in traffic isn't something I'm worried about.
    I bought Frank's car!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Okay. A 98 will be a 5HP24, likely without Steptronic. There isn't much you can do except a reprogram.

/.randy

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    I have it in my car, and it really doesn't do much. I don't see why some people LOVE it. :

Some of what DINAN claims it does on their "ad" is what the car already does. (ie. shifting down to 3rd while stopping.)

The only gains I got from the SW was the "No-auto up shift" only in manual mode, slightly firmer shifting, and a 6300RPM redline only when in Manual mode.

I didn't notice a dam thing with the shift points (Then again my rebuilt trans sucks.. but not for long as it's getting another)... Heck, the shift points are already dynamic to say the least because it should vary with your amount of throttle input.

Was it worth the $400 (installed)? Depends.. I find it useful since I like to spend time in the canyons & have paddles, other than that, DD'ing with it pretty useless.
    Last edited by Dking078; 02-27-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    F13 M6
    Dking, what model and year do you have?
    I bought Frank's car!

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    My story:

After discovering that the tranny chip was practically useless on my 750iL, then reading how lots of e39 540ia owners raving how they liked the Dinan tranny tune - I decided to try it again on my 99 540ia. I waited till Dinan had one of their 15-20% off sales, just in case the lackluster results were the same.......

Usually I am pleased with Dinan's products, but in the case of my e39 tranny reflash, I was somewhat disappointed again. Here are my reasons:

First, which we discovered during the Dinan tranny reflash, is that the reflash will potentially not take to the EGS if you have had a transmission software update by a program which is not dealer BMW. These tranny software updates are often used by BMW indy shops due to their availability & costs. The Dinan dealer which I dealt with spent almost 19hrs trying to figure out why the Dinan tranny performance software would not take to my EGS. They tried another EGS, checked the wiring, sending my original EGS to Dinan for benchflashing, etc....... They were even trying to convince me to replace my DME, is that might be the root of my problems.

Got the benchflashed EGS back from Dinan and they said I'm good to go. Installed it in the car, nothing. The car doesn't recognize the EGS and will not run.
    Finally Dinan said "hey, the reason why this is not working is this car has had an aftermarket software update at sometime during it's life" = DUH!
    Too bad it took almost 19hrs of diagnostic for Dinan to tell us that.......
    The solution to this problem is that I had a BMW dealer do a stock tranny software update, and then finally the Dinan tranny flash took to my EGS.

Driving = Yes the shift points are slightly higher, yes the shifts are firmer (but barely) so for those two reasons it was worth it being that I bought it on sale. The installation fiasco aside of course.

Second, what I didn't know, which no one has surprisingly mentioned or what Dinan doesn't advertise is that at WOT the Dinan shift points are at redline. Fine. But the new Dinan tranny 'redline' is under the assumption that you have at least the stage 1 engine tune which has an increased redline of +300rpm. So if you have a stock DME tune, you are hitting the rev-limiter (and 'misfiring') for in my case 2-3secs as the tranny EGS is holding the car in gear waiting for the engine to hit the new +300 redline. This really sucks as you either have to hold WOT bouncing off of the rev-limiter till it shifts, or you have to back off the throttle enough so the car will shift gears = so either way when you really need that passing power you loose out big time.

After all of the install problems I called Dinan asking about this new shifting problem, his answer was I should of never done the Dinan tranny flash in the first place. Nice. Great after sale support .

I should note that my DME has already been reflashed for performance, but opted out of increasing the redline as I did not see the need (being an automatic) at the time. My answer to this is now I have to send my existing DME w/stock redline to be reflashed again, with a higher redline so the car will run/shift properly under WOT.

Just my experience, your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by whiteghost1; 02-27-2014 at 07:46 PM.

My Cars
    F13 M6
    ^^ Awesome write-up...thanks! I think I'll pass.
    I bought Frank's car!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    I think the tune only works if your car is actually boosted/producing more power than what came stock. Mainly just increasing main line pressure to firm the shifts up so you wont have to rebuild the trans every few months.

Going from 3 pedal 540i, to 2 pedal 540it... it sucks lol

Anybody had experience with ESS Trans Flash?

http://www.esstuning.com/products/E3...-Software.html

My Cars
    1997 540i
    anyone selling one of these chips to fit the 5hp30 trans in an early 97' 540i?
    Electric Fan conversion, 840Ci thermostat, Dinan style CAI,de-screened MAF, Dinan transmission chip, 255lph LS1 fuel pump, drilled slotted rotors, 3.15 differential, Bel rx65 radar (hard-wired). Hemi Killer!

My Cars
    E39 m5
    Same story even with my step-tronic 540ia, the trans just upshifts too fast causing it to feel luggy, then giving a bit more throttle downshifts a gear then back forth back forth.. supper annoying around town. Sport mode is better but then im killing my MPG's for no reason.

My Cars
    08 535xit
    do the flappy paddle mod. have any shift point you want. one of the best mods i have done. i have it so that i can go in and out of M mode just be pressing both paddles at the same time. cost would be about the same. the most expensive bit getting the correct steering wheel and clock spring.

G~
    E61 Mods: Trailer Hitch/wiring, Cargo cover roller fix, Backup camera, H&R springs, ER charge Pipe, Mishimoto catch can, boost gauge, intake scoop, JB+, CSR Rear Spoiler, Full SAT retrofit.
    Coded: legal disclaimer removal in iDrive, auto folding mirrors on lock, turn signals in HUD, fan speed indicator on when in auto, Doors unlock when key removed

E39 Mods: Euro dash conversion, Dinan exhaust, Dinan suspension with Camber kit, 2.81 differential, flappy paddle with double pull M mode activation/deactivation, backup camera, Video playback on Nav computer (iPod Video for video storage and playback), stereo video playback through DSP, MKIV computer, RPA Tire Pressure retrofit, Intravee II iPod integration, Euro armrest, HUD, Parrot BT, voice recognition module, trailer hitch/wiring, rear mounted 10" subwoofer with amplifier, lighted interior door handles, Evans coolant.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540ia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
    the "No-auto up shift" only in manual mode
    Maybe it's not the right place, but haven't found any matches on the internet.

Is there a possibility to flash the Steptronic transmission on e39 540i other than this Dinan chip, to get the "no-auto up shift" in manual mode? I can live with the slow gearchange of the automatic gearbox but the auto upshifts are incredibly annoying when enjoying a "quiet" drive.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Zombie revival.

Read up on the pros/cons of using the Alpina flash. It isn't 100% 'no auto upshift' manual but it is 'no auto upshift until redline' apparently.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...x-CU-EGS-Flash

Read the whole thread.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Meanwhile us poor little 6 bangers are enjoying the Dinan stage one tune that includes the trans software. Works great
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    1997 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    Meanwhile us poor little 6 bangers are enjoying the Dinan stage one tune that includes the trans software. Works great
    Just installed mine in my 97 540. Car sounds different, exhaust sounds a bit deeper with this new trans chip! car runs a bit rougher but has crisper, smoother and faster shifts in any mode. Harder and faster shifting is supposed to be healthier for the trans and make the clutches last longer inside, although i did think i smelled a bit of clutch material after i first installed it. Works great though.
    Electric Fan conversion, 840Ci thermostat, Dinan style CAI,de-screened MAF, Dinan transmission chip, 255lph LS1 fuel pump, drilled slotted rotors, 3.15 differential, Bel rx65 radar (hard-wired). Hemi Killer!

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    I have it on my very mildly hopped up 540iA. I love it. I like it better than stock and better than the Alpina, and I have the Alpina DME clone. Mine's a strage 3 tranny tune, confirmed by Dinan. I got it as a partout EGS from a donor car so I spent like 200 bucks for the entire thing.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    This software update/enhancement/flash is a great buy for the inline crowd especially auto boxes. The later four speed units appear to be the best fit as I have not seen/read or experienced a three speed auto with the software ('98-2000-528i)
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green