Thread: Stroker motors with stock ECU / fuel injectors ? Curious about those who have tried

My Cars
    1989 325i 4 Door 5sp

Stroker motors with stock ECU / fuel injectors ? Curious about those who have tried

Has anyone done any of the standard stroker formulas (2.7, 2.9, 3.1) and retained Motronic, with or without a new chip and or fuel injectors? My E30 is my adult transportation device and I have no interest whatsoever in megasquirt or anything approximating a project. Curious how the strokers run once setup.

Ireland says "To get the most out of this kit we recommend larger fuel injectors, additional tuning (in the form of Miller WAR Chip, Megasquirt, AEM, or similar tuning tools), larger throttle body (or itb's), IE Stg2 Long-Tube headers, free-flow exhaust. "

Thanks

For instance...
    http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/m20-32.html
    http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/m20-29.html

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    I have looked into the swaps and such over the past few days. The stroker kit looks to be pretty nice but without the added injectors and such, how much would you actually get? It seems that would be like sucking a basketball through a garden hose lol. It seems it would restrict power without the rest of it being upgraded. Just me though. I am subbed because I would like to see what others have to say.
    I have been watching some YouTube channels with the m52 and s52 swap. It will be a while before I decide to start gathering parts at this moment. I'm trying to just get all the old worn out stuff replaced on mine first and then just drive it for a little bit. Maybe you can find some YouTube channels that have completed the stroker kit to see how it is going for them and what problems they ran into and such.

Jamie

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    You can't do a 2.9 or 3.1 without proper fueling (injectors) and a tune. It would be absolutely insane to spend thousands on custom internals, and not touch the ECU and injectors.

Miller Warchip just makes tuning easier, it's not a DIY standalone like Megasquirt is. It still uses the stock ECU, and augments it with the ability to add several custom maps, and makes it much easier to write new maps with the included software.

The Bosch ECU is fine for strokers, but you need a new tune for it, which the Warchip makes easier to do.

Personally I think 2.8L strokers are the sweet spot for M20 engines. Makes use of existing BMW parts, M52b28 crank, ETA rods, and B25 short skirt pistons, so it's cheaper than those IE kits. Plus the 3.1 IE kits require boring the block out, meaning lower reliability and a lot more cost.
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 05-15-2018 at 05:02 PM.

My Cars
    1989 325i 4 Door 5sp
    These are good points. I am not at all opposed to new parts like injectors etc, I am opposed to a project as I have a few cars undergoing bare metal restorations and am not going to get into any reliability/downtime issues with the BMW.

Where do people usually source new M52b28 crank and rods?

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by somecarguy View Post
    These are good points. I am not at all opposed to new parts like injectors etc, I am opposed to a project as I have a few cars undergoing bare metal restorations and am not going to get into any reliability/downtime issues with the BMW.

Where do people usually source new M52b28 crank and rods?
    They don't source new ones. There's no need for a new crank and rods as long as the crank doesn't show wear. You would want rods from a M20B27 ETA by the way if going the 2.8L path.

My Cars
    325is, 96 M3 Euro
    you can run a 3.1L on motronic properly tuned with mild cam (it doesn't like much more overlap). youre giving up a ton of performance though. depends what the actual specific goal is