Thread: Manual swap wiring

My Cars

Manual swap wiring

Afternoon folks I have a 1994 525 auto. I bought everything to perform a manual swap from a 1995 525. I’m getting ready to start the swap and have a question regarding the wiring. I have read about grounding and jumping wires to eliminate the trans program error and to get cruise control to work, as well as the starter relay and jumping that. Mine has the tall mustard color relay in the kick panel and I pulled the tall black colored one from the donor. Will this relay eliminate the need for grounding and jumping wires or does that still need to be performed? Thanks

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    Some are under the hood in the fuse box, others are behind the driver speaker, and some the ews has it integrated into the ews module. First check under the hood it should be all the way to the left of the fuse box. If you have 2 empty spots proceed to behind speaker, if you have just relays that say (abs) printed on them you have the ews integrated. Find the ews under the column left side and bridge the large black yellow wire and cut it out of the ews module. It took me a while of searching to find the ews integrated info... my car has the ews style

- - - Updated - - -

I uses this info was very helpful

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/5speedswap.htm
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by e30luv318i View Post
    Some are under the hood in the fuse box, others are behind the driver speaker, and some the ews has it integrated into the ews module. First check under the hood it should be all the way to the left of the fuse box. If you have 2 empty spots proceed to behind speaker, if you have just relays that say (abs) printed on them you have the ews integrated. Find the ews under the column left side and bridge the large black yellow wire and cut it out of the ews module. It took me a while of searching to find the ews integrated info... my car has the ews style

- - - Updated - - -

I uses this info was very helpful

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/5speedswap.htm
    Mine has it behind the kick panel, no ews. The bmw e34 site explains about grounding wires to eliminate errors and such. I’m curious if swapping the automatic relay behind th kick panel with the manual relay will eliminate the need for splicing or grounding wires

My Cars
    '87 325is, '91 525i,
    Swapping the relay eliminates the need to splice those wires only. I just completed the manual swap on my ‘95 (early ‘95 - no EWS). You’ll still need to do some work in the wiring at the shift console to eliminate the trans ECU and wire up your reverse lights. The bmwe34.net link above is a good resource. My cruise control works flawlessly.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSpeed66 View Post
    Swapping the relay eliminates the need to splice those wires only. I just completed the manual swap on my ‘95 (early ‘95 - no EWS). You’ll still need to do some work in the wiring at the shift console to eliminate the trans ECU and wire up your reverse lights. The bmwe34.net link above is a good resource. My cruise control works flawlessly.
    Thank you, thank you, and thank you again. This is what I was trying to find out before I started the swap. When you completed yours, did you disconnect the transmission module or does it need to remain connected afterwards? Would you mind if I asked you some other questions if I run into problems along th way?

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    You leave the trans comp in place. I snipped the wires from the auto trans connector and stuffed them under the center con. Also don’t bother playing with the over center spring you can just un bolt the auto pedal bracket and bolt the manual pedal box in its place. I have over 2 years on my set up with out the spring and it feels exactly the same... saves you a lot of aggravation not having to play with the column

- - - Updated - - -

Also this is a place for helping people never hesitate to ask questions even if it’s been discussed before. Some people get all upset about multiple threads on a subject but this just makes it easier for you and future people to solve an issue
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by e30luv318i View Post
    You leave the trans comp in place. I snipped the wires from the auto trans connector and stuffed them under the center con. Also don’t bother playing with the over center spring you can just un bolt the auto pedal bracket and bolt the manual pedal box in its place. I have over 2 years on my set up with out the spring and it feels exactly the same... saves you a lot of aggravation not having to play with the column

- - - Updated - - -

Also this is a place for helping people never hesitate to ask questions even if it’s been discussed before. Some people get all upset about multiple threads on a subject but this just makes it easier for you and future people to solve an issue
    Thank you. I had researched many e34 swaps, but none detailed about the relay in the kick panel as to whether or not it would eliminate the need to splice wiring under the console. Thanks again. Much appreciated

My Cars
    '87 325is, '91 525i,
    I yanked the trans ECU out of the car. Would have pulled the whole harness too but I didn’t want to start pulling up more carpet. Works fine without the ECU connected. The Sport ‘S’ comes on for about 30 seconds on the dash on start up then goes away.

At the console area for the wiring, it’s literally 3 wires. Ground the one pin as instructed in the link, then just the 2 reverse switch wires.

Also if your car has traction control, it will be disabled and your light will be on. If you want it working you will likely have to swap to the correct computer. The ABS/traction computers have the same part number but are coded differently between auto/manual. I found my manual coded computer on eBay for $10. Guy had the last 7 of the VIN which I was able to run thru realoem.com to confirm it came from a manual car.

My Cars
    I yanked the trans ECU out of the car. Would have pulled the whole harness too but I didn’t want to start pulling up more carpet. Works fine without the ECU connected. The Sport ‘S’ comes on for about 30 seconds on the dash on start up then goes away.

At the console area for the wiring, it’s literally 3 wires. Ground the one pin as instructed in the link, then just the 2 reverse switch wires.

Also if your car has traction control, it will be disabled and your light will be on. If you want it working you will likely have to swap to the correct computer. The ABS/traction computers have the same part number but are coded differently between auto/manual. I found my manual coded computer on eBay for $10. Guy had the last 7 of the VIN which I was able to run thru realoem.com to confirm it came from a manual car.
    mine does have asc. Did you get the asc light because you removed the trans computer? Or is it just a matter of there being an asc module for manual and auto transmission?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliescff View Post
    Thank you. I had researched many e34 swaps, but none detailed about the relay in the kick panel as to whether or not it would eliminate the need to splice wiring under the console. Thanks again. Much appreciated
    Does your e34 have asc?

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    Came to post this. If you have the donor car, just swap the ABS module and you should be good to go.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Montalbon View Post
    Came to post this. If you have the donor car, just swap the ABS module and you should be good to go.
    Sounds good. I forgot to grab the module, had it in my hand. Got in touch with the guy to ship it to me