Thread: Need Help Positively ID'ing This Instrument Cluster

My Cars

Need Help Positively ID'ing This Instrument Cluster

When the car ('94 325i sedan, 5 speed) was purchased, the seller included this cluster to replace the installed cluster which came out of an automatic. After several months of driving with a tachometer that reads 1000k over, I'm finally getting around to trying to determine if the replacement cluster will actually work. I've googled the factory numbers on the back but only wind up with search results that lead to clusters on ebay ..none of which say if it's for an automatic or a five speed 318i or 325i. My main concern here is that the paint markings from the salvage yard says "318i and 325i". As I understand it, a cluster for a 4 cylinder E36 is not compatible with a 6 cylinder. If anyone out there can positively ID this cluster based on the factory stickers, I can then decide what I want to do with it. Thanks!
    Replacement Cluster (1).jpg
    Replacement Cluster (2).jpg
    Replacement Cluster (3).jpg
    Replacement Cluster (4).jpg

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    Running 8361216 thru RealOEM yields an "Uncoded" instrument cluster - p/n 62118361216, which has been superceeded a few times. It appears that it can be used on either a 4-cyl or a 6-cyl, manual or auto. (I would suspect that the coding plug makes the difference.)

My Cars
    Fantastic. Thank you, JMC1590. Out of all the research that I've done here on the forum, I've never seen it mentioned that there's a cluster than can be used on both 4 and 6 cylinder cars. So, it's the coding plug that's on back of the cluster in question that makes it adaptable to both?

Edit: The clear plastic front of the replacement cluster has a crack in it. I'd like to swap the two. If anyone knows of a good DIY video and or post explaining how, I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by Bostongruen; 05-15-2018 at 12:45 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    Here's the rub. On quite a few other early '90's BMWs, a coding plug defined the parameters for the instrument panel. On my E28, it set number of cylinders, redline, fuel consumption, etc ... for the tach and OBC to function correctly. I've found references to this being the case for both E34s and E32s. Now's the part I'm unsure of - RealOEM shows a coding plug for the new (superceeded) display. Reading thru some older posts, there's mention that the early models did not use a coding plug. That the information was hard coded into the unit. (By a dealer?) I can't verify that, but I've also never physically removed the coding plug from my '94 either!

Perhaps another wise soul will chime in soon...

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Coding plug does not set the working parameter, at least not for the E36.

OP, for all E36 clusters you need an ADS interface.

You then use INPA and the tools that come with it such as NCS expert to read the config, have a look at what is wrong and if you want to do it simply have NCSdummy make this a tick box exercise and then apply that config with NCSexpert.

You could also choose to read the ZCS ( a number that contains your cars config) from the EWS with NCSexpert and then "process ECU" to the cluster to apply the factory config instead

Or you could read the ZCS / GM / SA and the other number off the fuel sender cover if EWS is missing.

None of the above helps you with mileage correction due to clusters internal security, just pay someone to do that, but all the gauges and parameters to make it suit your car are easily done
    Last edited by E36328Coupe; 05-15-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    Thanks for the input, you two. Reading a tachometer that's 1000k over seems a lot less complicated and frustrating than having to do what's just been described. Being very right brain dominant, INPA and NCS Expert are way out of my league in a left brain sort of way.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    You just typed text and posted on here. It's no more complex.

Also chances are your rev counter is not 1000rpm high. Chances are you have a 4 cylinder cluster So reads 50% high (or actual RPM is 2/3 of displayed)
    You likely may have the wrong speed readings too
    You will normally have an automatic gearbox warning light unless the bulb is removed

• If you have INPA on a laptop with serial interface (e.g. Dell D400)
    • An ADS interface (e.g. TinyADS or almost freeADS)
    • And can read a list (e.g. like this) then an average person can do it
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    I used to have the auto gearbox warning light until I pulled the bulb out. I'll look more into INPA and NCS Expert and will try to familiarize myself before tackling this. Thanks again!

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    It fits the 318, 323, 325, and 328, all USA spec cars not EU spec. It fits coupe, convertible, and sedan.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...819&series=E36

My Cars
    "It fits" but will it display accurately? I'll just swap it out and see what happens.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostongruen View Post
    "It fits" but will it display accurately? I'll just swap it out and see what happens.
    If it has been configured for a 4 cylinder car ir cannot read accurately in a 6 cylinder

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Bear in mind everything here is a UK car and hence miles AND pretty much everything is in KM except a couple of tick boxes to represent the output in miles.
    There also appears to be a section for selecting the maximum speedo value.

Hence my idea being keep the old cluster, drop in the Miles speedo, set the old cluster to display in miles (as long as same models of cluster) tweak speedo top reading if required.

Not played with this but bear in mind they are European car in KM and UK is in miles and it looks like only real difference is speedo and ECO gauges and flipping the output is normal stuff, same as the OBC displayed in both KM and MPH but has a default (although you can switch that yourself on the front).

Below are courtesy of using NCSdummy to make translate the easy stuff to tick boxes

Attachment 625481

Attachment 625482

Attachment 625483

Attachment 625484

Attachment 625485
    How NCSdummy shows the options.

Note MOTOR_FAKTOR is why the rev counter reads wrong

My Cars
    Thanks.