Thread: Rag Top Question

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3

Rag Top Question

I just bought a 2000 Z3 with a cloth top and it needs some restitching. I notice that the side tension cables located above the side windows are exposed at the area of the first joint and this is where some of the stitching needs to be redone. Are these side tension cables supposed to be visible and separate from the cloth top or should they be sewn into the edge seam of the top? I notice that the top is raised a little above the windows, which makes me think the cables might help hold it down. I live in a very rural area and do not know of any other Z3's in my area to go and look at so any advice is appreciated.
    Thank you.

My Cars
    BMW 328i
    No they shouldn’t be exposed water will leak through those spots. Honestly take it to a resto shop or a company that does top replacement. let them replace every bit of it . ya it’s expensive but worth it because no matter how much you sow or stitch etc it’ll never hold and it’ll constantly be a thorn in your side trust me. I own a 97 328i conv and I always stitched and sowed etc for it to only last a few weeks- a month. at the most but I also wasn’t forking the money out because I wanted a hard top. So ya save the heart ach find a reputable company to.fox it and spend the cash for the ease of mind, etc. also after a while the motors will start to go because of the slack in the tension straps and top not functioning properly. And it’ll leak bad.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Thank you for your reply Cmckinne36.

My Cars
    BMW 328i
    No problem hope it works out.