Thread: Need help about what parts to fix / change

My Cars
    2007 X3 3.0i

Need help about what parts to fix / change

I own a 2007 3.0i X3 sitting at 215k km's on it with no service records unfortunately, I bought it at 206k in 1/2018. I went over a long drive to home which made me go past the oil change by 600km's that I regret. It made the engine light go on and it is still on to this date. I have a little worse than average fuel economy. (I use fully synthetic Bmw oil.) When the car starts, first 30 seconds are a little rough idle (never stalls) raises Rpm by 500 more for 2 seconds then goes back to rough idle. Also I live on a mountain, (8% grade) when I go uphill, the 30% gas position gives same accel. as 100%, I can feel the car surging for power when I give more than 50% gas. Quick OBD 2 scan tells me these issues:
    P0012 - A camshaft Position Timing over-retarded Bank 1
    P2098 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 2
    P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

I suspected the Vanos solenoids were clogged from bad oil but I ain't no Bmw technician. Remember that I dont even know if the previous owners did the 100k mile big maintenance. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Rosslander; 05-14-2018 at 02:47 PM.

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    - the rough idle is very likely caused by air/vacuum leaks from the engine hoses and gaskets.... likely suspects to check out first would be main engine air intake duct (these develop cracks); then valve cover gasket, oil dip stick seal, oil filter housing gasket, and there are some vent tubes on the side of the engine... air leaks are often associated with the location of small oil leaks...

maybe get a smoke test run by a mechanic to locate air leaks .... get rid of the leaks and the rough idle and stumbling startups will go away

if you are using good synthetic oil then do not worry about a few hundred kilometres over on an oil change .... should not follow the oil change indicator anyway ... for winter driving and general short distance drives need to change oil more often .... 10 to 12,000 km on an oil change is good practice.... you never know what the last owner did or if the indicator was reset properly on the last change anyway

you have a great vehicle there ... have fun with it and keep it maintained ....
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

My Cars
    2007 X3 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by my1stE30 View Post
    - the rough idle is very likely caused by air/vacuum leaks from the engine hoses and gaskets.... likely suspects to check out first would be main engine air intake duct (these develop cracks); then valve cover gasket, oil dip stick seal, oil filter housing gasket, and there are some vent tubes on the side of the engine... air leaks are often associated with the location of small oil leaks...

maybe get a smoke test run by a mechanic to locate air leaks .... get rid of the leaks and the rough idle and stumbling startups will go away

if you are using good synthetic oil then do not worry about a few hundred kilometres over on an oil change .... should not follow the oil change indicator anyway ... for winter driving and general short distance drives need to change oil more often .... 10 to 12,000 km on an oil change is good practice.... you never know what the last owner did or if the indicator was reset properly on the last change anyway

you have a great vehicle there ... have fun with it and keep it maintained ....
    I saw people check air leaks with a vape or a cigar online, dont really know if its a good way or not but I have a friend who has a vape that I can borrow and see. Also would you think it has anything to do with the Vanos intake and exhaust Solenoids ? I forgot to mention that the mechanic who has a better obd2 reader told me they are clogged after bad oil. I got em out and cleaned them with compressed air, should I clean them with anything else (maybe break cleaner or engine degreaser?)

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    sorry... diagnosing Vanos and exhaust solenoids is all too high tech for me ... can't help you with comments there ... I have a mechanic shop that I have used and trust for over 12 years now ... I rely on them for all stuff out of the ordinary on the bmw and other vehicles

- smoke test really requires the proper equipment and procedure to be effective
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!