Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Powder Coat vs Paint vs Clean

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

Powder Coat vs Paint vs Clean

I am asking for input on the idea of powder coating the valve covers of my 2001 740i. The gasket openings will be masked, and I was told the engine temp should not be over 200 degrees so that shouldn't be a problem. Has anyone come across any concerns, or experienced any problems using this method to clean their valve covers? Does it compromise the seal of the gaskets? Does it change the diameter of the holes in any material way? Thanks for your opinions.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    I haven't had any BMW specific experience with powder coating, but I have an uncle that gets everything powder coated on his car. I mean everything... Valve covers, intake manifold, bolts, brackets, bumper parts, etc. etc.. As long as you cover the areas that definitely should not be powder coated, like where gaskets sit and bolt threads, you should be just fine.

I don't see any reason it would compromise the seal of the gaskets, again, as long as you mask off that area. Prep work would be key to a nice end result.

Yes it does change the diameter of the holes a bit. You could either kind of scrape it out after it's been powder coated if it's a problem (run a tap through it or something), or stick something in the holes when it gets powder coated.

I think powder coating is pretty cool and it does a good job protecting against dust and debris and oils, but the downside is lack or color options as opposed to painting the parts.