RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Help: 1997 318is window up with key issue

My Cars
    1997 318is coupe

Help: 1997 318is window up with key issue

Just registered first time here hope IÂ’m doing this right appreciate these forums hope sometime I can help. Okay, I am an experienced tech I do it for a living but looking for direction on this one. Everything on my beemer works but the windows donÂ’t go up when holding key in lock position and havenÂ’t since I was given the car. The central locking did not work due to the notorious wire loom for the trunk and my passenger door lock was defective.I recently replaced the passenger side door lock and fixed the wiring so the central locking works now. HereÂ’s some strangeness: once in a while my windows and sunroof will close when locking with the key but not holding it locked so not on purpose. It wonÂ’t work when I want it to but once in a while it will but just from locking the door (from either door) and then the windows wonÂ’t work for 5 minutes. BCM??? Also my sunroof one touch close doesnÂ’t work but the sunroof closes when it decides to roll up the windows when locking. Thanks for any help

My Cars
    1997 318is coupe
    And I don’t know why when I submitted the thread it added all the A’s to my apostrophes lol

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hi, and welcome to the forum. It's always good to have another pro join us on the forum. I understand that you're not a BMW tech, though, so please understand that I'm trying to bring you up to speed with the appreciation that you're a pro....so I'll be brief.

BMW cars are NOT "Beemers"...they are "Bimmers". "Beemers" are motorcycles. You'll note that these forums are "Bimmerforums". Enough said.

First and most important: To properly diagnose the vehicle, you're going to need a BMW specific diagnostic scan tool. If you're good with computers (I'm not), you can set yourself up on a laptop, for the price of a cable or two, with INPA, INPA is available for free, but the cables will cost you maybe $20, and you need two. You need to be able to talk with all the modules on the car, and this means using the BMW 20-pin diagnostic port, underhood. The 16-pin OBD port will only talk to the DME (BMW term for the engine computer)

I'd guess that the locks are out of sync, and that you might need to check and reset them in the GM (general module...aka body module).

All that said, on a twenty year old E36, well, you're generally better off shutting the sunroof and windows before you get out, instead of playing with the "close everything " feature. Just my 2 cents....sure, it should work, but remember that when this was invented, computers had green screens.

Hell, I don't even use my sunroof....it works fine, but in my opinion it's a nasty troublesome failure-prone item that weighs 40 pounds and some butthole made it the highest point of the car, to screw the center of gravity badly. Engineers....bah, humbug.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    There is a very active E36 forum here that has seen it all. I ain't one of them so defer to those more familiar with that animal but;
    As a knuckle dragger not equipped with proper diagnostic equipment I'd personally be looking at the driver's lock door micro switches, perhaps the door harness. Similarly I'd also suspect the sunroof switch regarding your one touch close not working. I don't think the two problems are related but stand to be corrected.
    Last edited by ross1; 05-13-2018 at 06:53 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1997 318is coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the forum. It's always good to have another pro join us on the forum. I understand that you're not a BMW tech, though, so please understand that I'm trying to bring you up to speed with the appreciation that you're a pro....so I'll be brief.

BMW cars are NOT "Beemers"...they are "Bimmers". "Beemers" are motorcycles. You'll note that these forums are "Bimmerforums". Enough said.

First and most important: To properly diagnose the vehicle, you're going to need a BMW specific diagnostic scan tool. If you're good with computers (I'm not), you can set yourself up on a laptop, for the price of a cable or two, with INPA, INPA is available for free, but the cables will cost you maybe $20, and you need two. You need to be able to talk with all the modules on the car, and this means using the BMW 20-pin diagnostic port, underhood. The 16-pin OBD port will only talk to the DME (BMW term for the engine computer)

I'd guess that the locks are out of sync, and that you might need to check and reset them in the GM (general module...aka body module).

All that said, on a twenty year old E36, well, you're generally better off shutting the sunroof and windows before you get out, instead of playing with the "close everything " feature. Just my 2 cents....sure, it should work, but remember that when this was invented, computers had green screens.

Hell, I don't even use my sunroof....it works fine, but in my opinion it's a nasty troublesome failure-prone item that weighs 40 pounds and some butthole made it the highest point of the car, to screw the center of gravity badly. Engineers....bah, humbug.
    I’ll admit I knew immediately as I typed beemer I’d get guff I’m a factory trained Land Rover tech but work on everything and my car is a Beemer. I get this is a bimmer forum and I’ll adjust lol. I’m old and have been surpassed by many a technology but I did have a BMW specific scan tool, it was a POS and never worked right.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes I can totally survive with it just the way it is... but if what I described has happened to someone else who rectified it I’d love to hear how

- - - Updated - - -

I was leaning towards the driver lock but since the issue happens if I use either door lock I was taken aback. I agree might be switch for sunroof. Thanks for the feedback. It wasn’t until after I repaired the passenger door lock, enabling the central locking system, that it ever happened at all.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    With INPA or similar, you'll be able to read the status of each lock, and maybe find the problem that way.. Also, there's a company which specializes in fixing GM issues: GM5.com

Perhaps this will be of help:
    http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf

You're a very brave soul, as a Land Rover tech. I deal best with them when they have a BMW M62 in them, rather than the ancient Oldsmobile motor, or the Ford motors. Still, there's some Lucas Prince of Darkness heritage there, which always seems to haunt them. Who knows, maybe Tata will fix that?
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 05-15-2018 at 06:16 AM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Do you have a FOB for the car? If so I would also look at the alarm module, as that too can play with the windows and turn them off for that 5 minutes as you describe. Or to make sure you will have to pull the glove box out as behind it is the electronic rack, and typically it will be all the way to the right with a antenna. Unplug it and see if that helps.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member