Thread: Anyone have a bottom mount manifold laying around they could measure?

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp

Anyone have a bottom mount manifold laying around they could measure?

As the title states, I could use some help from someone in possession of a bottom mount, turbo manifold that they could measure off the car. SPA, TT, or SteedSpeed

I am currently putting my professional skills to good, long overdue, E36 work.....Designing an investment cast(or 3d printed) equal length, twin scroll manifold. It's not easy to package all this up around the insane constraints of the M50 engine, but I'm 95% confident it can be done and will fit based on my early mock up. I just need to have some things verified first from either a SPA, TT, or SteedSpeed manifold before I move towards finishing it. I'm frustrated that this platform has been around so long and the turbo manifold options all have some major design issue with them. I understand why, but not willing to just accept it without trying to solve it. Sure there are many existing manifolds that just work, but I'm a perfectionist. Log manifolds are really holding this (or any) engine back. Every current option is either a log design, or unequal length, or not twin scroll, has known WG issues, etc (there are several designs that have more than 1 of those strikes).

General manifold design info
    • 1.5" ID runners
    • 19 or 20.00" runner lengths (they will all be equal length to .020", slightly larger than cylinder volume, and near equal volume)
    • Twin scroll, T4, mainly for EFR fitments, maybe future G series if they ever release larger ones
    • Single or 2 piece design (may have to be 2 piece to fit inside 3d printer build volume, or to ease install)
    • Trying for a single, divided EWG setup, but this is the last item to be designed after initial mock-up.
    • If SLS printing is cost effective, this opens up many possible design wonders: air gap(insulated) tubing, integrated quick spool valve, lightweight flange design, etc
    • Probably won't be cheap, but this is primarily for me.

What I need:

• I need all turbo inlet dimensions shown verified from a bottom mount manifold to the best of your ability to measure. Digital Calipers are obviously the best means I could hope for, but good carpenter's measurements will work too. I need CL measurements due to differences in flange dimensions. Generally measure the edge that's easiest and measure total width of flange. You guys are smart, PM me if in question.
    • Or, I need to briefly borrow your manifold to reverse engineer and will send it back. This is probably the best method, but understand it's unlikely to happen. Willing to meet up around a 1hr radius from Denver, PA/17578 area, or pay shipping.

Note, this is just the proof of concept that shows I can route equal lengths of pipes into an approximate turbo location and still clear most major obstacles.

I know I need to provide more clearance at the bottom for compressor housing, have some runner clearance issues, and need the EWG route out the back of the collector. If you see some type of show stopper, please let me know.

My Cars
    86 325es
    I can tell you that having one 3d printed via DLMS is not a viable option due to cost and size. Investment casting from a 3d printed master will also cost more than your car and will likely be impossible to get the mold to fill with the design you have. Get out your tig welder.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Does spa make one for the S54? Not equal length but cast. If so, maybe it could be adapted. If it came in cheap enough it might take some market from steedspeed. Might have to buy 10 to get the project done. I agree that it is probably smarter just to weld up one for yourself or pay someone to do that if you can’t.

My Cars
    96 Oil Gobbler
    Spa makes a manifold for the s54. Maximum psi sent them a tubular manifold from thier kit and they developed a cast variation.