Thread: Lets play a game called what the hell is that sound!

My Cars
    1995bmw E-36 1988bmw E32

Lets play a game called what the hell is that sound!

specs BMW E46 323i Sports wagon
    My Father and I have decided to up our game and attempt to remove and replace the intake manifold. Obviously there are lots of hoses and cables needing to be put back after the process is completed. Heres my problem! We've got everything put back together (or so we thought) once we reconnected the battery a sound immediately started from just under the intake manifold close to the firewall. (mind you car is not on) I stuck my hand under the intake manifold and hit what im assuming is the starter which was vibrating hot and I'm assuming the thing making the noise (sounds like a fan or something spooling up). Car is unable to turn on at all. My question is what did i do wrong, how do i fix it and do you have a free new car i can have! Thanks for the help!

My Cars
    2001 330i and 2005 330i
    The starter should not receive power until you turn the key. Unhook the power cable from the B post by the drug box. Does the sound stop? If so, trace back to the starter. Is it connected correctly? And so on...
    Johnny Murray

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The starter has power as long as the battery is connected. The theft prevention system, EWS in BMWspeak, provides exciter cutmrreby to the start when the ignition switch is turned and the key fob provides the correct code.

My Cars
    1995bmw E-36 1988bmw E32
    Thanks to every one.We fix it by switching the positive cables on the starter the bottom one went on the top and the top on the bottom.( I accidentally switch them around) re-tightened the nuts and voalia she started .I guess the position of the cables is important and the tightens of the nut as well. I a little bit over tighten the nut in the first place.

Thanks guys! Problem solved. We ended up just switching the polarity.