Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with the srs system!

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.8

Help with the srs system!

So I have to get my car to pass inspection so I can get a rebuilt title for it. I have everything figured out except for the air bag codes!

I hit a box spring and it damaged the hood and bumper never passed the tires just dented the body work a little. But the hood and bumper were enough for the insurance company to total it and for the low price of 600 I was able to fix it and get it inspection ready from the damage done from the accident. But now have to fix everything else that was wrong with it before the accident.

Currently there are three codes 6 (firing circuit passenger pretentiomer), 17 passenger seat belt switch), and 21( right side satellite sensor).

I have looked at the Seattle sensor and there's a little corrosion on the back plate but not much. I have been trying to find a way to test these modules and can't seem to find any good ways and was hoping you guys might have some input on where to look.

The light on the dash board does not come on at all and that's what they are looking for.

If you guys have any advice on how to test any if these or see a connection as to what might be causing it I could really use some help because I am at the end of my rope and am running out of time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Have you tried clearing and seeing what error comes back?

What tool are you using?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.8
    Yes I have and they come right back on next power cycle.

I am using a snap on solus

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    For the passenger seat, you should disconnect, clean, and reconnect the underseat connectors.

For the sensor, you should just replace.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.8
    Do you recommend new or is there a way I can test them so I can get a used one?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    It's almost always corrosion that takes those out. Used will normally be fine, as long as you are getting the same thing that was in there. No tests that I know of. It's not nearly as simple as a camshaft position sensor, it's an accelerometer.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    If you're just looking to pass the salvage inspection for now, pull the cluster and yank the bulb.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I think that's already been done. He mentioned no light comes on so it looks like he'll get to pull the dash and put one back in. I'd replace them all while the cluster is out

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.8
    Yea there bulb does not come on at all and the light has to cycle on then off. I thought about putting a timer on the bulb just because

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Could the bulb be burned out or missing?
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.8
    One or the other. I'm going to pull the dash and find out

My Cars
    -
    You don't need to buy one bulb, usually the cluster has bulbs in spots that are never energized (ex.: diesel pre-glowing, rear foglight). Some Z3's also have a cruise control bulb in the cluster that never turns on for some reason (unless you tell it to with INPA). Just swap them around, that's what I did.
    Last edited by me77; 05-13-2018 at 08:00 PM.

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by me77 View Post
    You don't need to buy one bulb, usually the cluster has bulbs in spots that are never energized (ex.: diesel pre-glowing, rear foglight). Some Z3's also have a cruise control bulb in the cluster that never turns on for some reason (unless you tell it to with INPA). Just swap them around, that's what I did.
    Every time I have taken a dash out and did not change all of the bulbs I have at least one of the old ones go out.

Murphy's law

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    The airbag light actually has two bulbs - the main one that can be swapped and another one that is part of the board in the cluster. The second one should light up (albeit not as brightly) if the main bulb fails. If you have neither illuminating, then you may find that someone has removed the main bulb, and stuffed something in the hole to mask the second bulb!

When I bought my car the airbag light had been jerry-rigged by lining it to one of the other dash bulbs that illuminates then goes off - I reinstated everything, sorted the typical bad connection under the seat, cleared the codes and all was well.

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    The airbag light actually has two bulbs - the main one that can be swapped and another one that is part of the board in the cluster. The second one should light up (albeit not as brightly) if the main bulb fails. If you have neither illuminating, then you may find that someone has removed the main bulb, and stuffed something in the hole to mask the second bulb!

When I bought my car the airbag light had been jerry-rigged by lining it to one of the other dash bulbs that illuminates then goes off - I reinstated everything, sorted the typical bad connection under the seat, cleared the codes and all was well.
    I have found that the previous owner has done a lot of tricks to cover up problems with the car. But I like the idea of just jumping the light over

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Awodzenski View Post
    I have found that the previous owner has done a lot of tricks to cover up problems with the car. But I like the idea of just jumping the light over

Yeah, I wasn't actually advocating that! I'm more in favour of fixing the problems - as mentioned, these problems are often associated with bad connections in the multiplugs under the seats and are very easily fixed.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Z3 side impact sensors, and the DSC sensors as well, fail because they get wet from interior leaks. I cross the numbers using ETK (realoem) to E36, E46, or E39 and get a used one from a sedan.

/.randy

My Cars
    -
    I once had a code 21 for the right side satellite sensor come up while driving. Unplugged the battery, took the seat out (god is that thing heavy), unplugged the sensor, sprayed contact cleaner in it, put it back together, cleared the code and the error never appeared again. The sensor had some very light corrosion on the backing plate towards the frame rail, the electrical plugs were bone-dry inside and outside though. Part number of that sensor is 65.77-8 381 564.

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.8
    So I do not have a manual for the car so I have been piecing my information together. But I have ran into a but of a wall...

Attached are some pictures of the plugs I have.

Red is the seat belt tensioner

The small black one is the seat belt latch switch.

The big white and black ones are for seat movement power

But the rounded one I think is the occupancy mat sensor but I don't have a female end to plug it into and on the harness side I don't know what the small white plug is for.

What's does the occupancy sensor plug into on the harness side

And what is that small white three wire plug for?

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Do you have the occupancy sensor box? I just replaced my passenger seat and I think that is what plugs into those.

Here is one from ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-z3-e53-...e/291787575353
    1998 Z3 1.9L Dinan Stage 3.

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
    Do you have the occupancy sensor box? I just replaced my passenger seat and I think that is what plugs into those.

Here is one from ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-z3-e53-...e/291787575353
    Nope. That would explain why it does not work though! Anyone know if a way to bypass it so it appears thinks it good with out the box?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Anyone know if a way to bypass it so it appears thinks it good with out the box?
    Here is a bypass unit on Ebay. The bypass emulator is a resistor with a plug attached to it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seat-Occupa...kAAOSwFJBZQq1K

You can try checking your driver's side seat for the sensor box. A previous owner of my car had the seats re-upholstered and the seat bases had been switched. I was hopeful that the occupancy mat still worked so I switched the seat bases (a lot of work!) but alas, I had to resort to the bypass unit. Note that the airbag will deploy if the car thinks someone is in the seat.
    Last edited by rasmuw; 05-15-2018 at 02:44 PM.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
    Here is a bypass unit on Ebay. The bypass emulator is a resistor with a plug attached to it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seat-Occupa...kAAOSwFJBZQq1K

You can try checking your driver's side seat for the sensor box. A previous owner had the seats re-upholstered and the seat bases had been switched. I was hopeful that the occupancy mat still worked so I switched the seat bases (a lot of work!) but alas, I had to resort to the bypass unit. Note that the airbag will deploy if the car thinks someone is in the seat.
    So I don't have one on the driver's side ether. But I'm not getting a code for that side so I figured there was not one there.

That emulator is awesome. But it plugs into the unit that I'm missing.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    So I don't have one on the driver's side ether. But I'm not getting a code for that side so I figured there was not one there.
    BMW made the assumption, dumb as it may be, that the drivers seat would be occupied while the car was in motion.

/.randy

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    BMW made the assumption, dumb as it may be, that the drivers seat would be occupied while the car was in motion.
    That's what I figured. I didn't think they would put one there but I did have to check just because I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast