Thread: M52 Turbo not getting through Annual check up (need help on catalytic converter)

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo

E36 M52 mosselman turbo

Hello,

I have a M52B28 with a mosselman turbo setup in the making.

E36 328i
    -cometic MLS headgasket
    -mosselman turbo systems with a Garret 42A/R turbo, currently at 0.75bar of boost
    -8A6G-AA Fomoco injectors build to 440cc
    -innovate scg1 boost controller.
    -stock MAF (use for my annual check up, my 350z maf with resistor is having bad fuel trims at test RPM's)
    -BOV to atmosphere
    -using romraider to tune

goals for testing are:
    max 0,5% CO at idle
    max 0,3% CO at 2K-2,5K rpm neutral.

I am reaching about 0,3% to 0,8% at idle
    at 2k-2,5K RPM i am failing as well, but I do not know the exact numbers

right now I have a magnaflow 53006 CAT which i suspect is insufficient,But i can use some help/input from the more experienced on how I can get my CO values down!

(I have tried the search function, but I get an error)

Last edited by et89; 09-16-2018 at 04:14 PM. Reason: change title, to use as a build thread

My Cars
    98 m3
    What are your afrs at those points?

What are you doing to make sure the cats are up to temp?

No reason your car shouldn’t pass. Its all in the hardware and tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    I have tried on 2 different tunes, and I am sure i have some tuning to do to get my AFR's more stable.
    my last logs from idle show AFR's between 13,9 and 15,3. they average out at 14,74 but since they are doing the measurements in peak, that wont help me passing the test.

so, yes, my tune is not the best atm, AFR's fluctuate to much and i have got some work to do.
    but still, will the CAT that I have now be sufficient enough when I will get my AFR's more stable?

I did a long rung of about an hour with 120-150km/h before going to the garage where they do the test.
    everything was fully up to operating temp. since my car didn't pass, I am not alloud to drive it anymore.
    so next time I will have to rev it up to 3k RPM for some minutes and hope for the best.

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    changed the O2 sensor, improved my tune.
    Lambda is steady at 1+-0,03, (AFR hoovers between 14,3 and 15,4) short trim fuel trims are not more than +4%/-4%. tune/MAF combination is good.
    checked fuel pressure, which is ok.
    changed the spark plugs , because i was running to cold ones which can lead to carbon build up.

But I am still failing on CO%.
    got it down to 0,6% at idle and 0,9% at part throttle (2,5k RPM) which was 1,8% before the changes.

I think my current cat may be damaged because it has seen its fair share of rich conditions and a bit of lean during tuning.
    also the excesive carbon build up from the wrong spark plugs can maybe also lead to my CAT running bad.

any one on here has some input for me that I am missing?

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    first:
    is there a possibility to change the title of a thread?
    or can somebody (Mod) do it for me?
    something like tiny turbo e36 will do

I would like to change this into my introduction thread.

After my M51 diesel powered e28 got totaled, I used the insurance money to buy a car I wanted since my dad had one when I was around 10:
    an e46 330ci. imported a black M-sport version from germany, only to get bored of it real soon.
    somehow I found myself reminising over my old e36 328i.

it wasn't untill I was washing my 330ci and a e36 325i was in the washbox next to me that I found myself searching "marktplaats.nl"
    (dutch version of graigslist) for e36's.

I found one, a turbo charged '96 328i.
    E36 328i
    -cometic MLS headgasket
    -mosselman turbo systems with a Garret 42A/R turbo, currently at 0.75bar of boost
    -8A6G-AA Fomoco injectors build to 440cc
    -innovate scg1 boost controller.
    -stock MAF (use for my annual check up, my 350z maf with resistor is having bad fuel trims at test RPM's)
    -BOV to atmosphere
    -in desperate need of a tune.

I spend some time away from home for work and I used my spare time there to get acqainted with Romraider and the MS41 ECU.
    and right now I have it running pretty well.

during ownership of the car I learned a lot, about turbocharging, tuning, ECU's etc. and I continue to do so.
    the forced induction pages of Bimmerforums are a great help for me.

the turbo is a GT28 modified by Mosselman (a dutch BMW tuner), sometime way back so I couldn't get my hands on the specsheets of that particular turbo.
    But I know it is not a great match with the M52.
    somewhere along the way it has to go, and make room for something more capable. I really like the spool of the current turbo, so I don't want to lose to much in that area,
    but it chokes at higher RPM's and it would be great if my next turbo would fix that. (14-15psi from spool until 6700rpm would great)
    ideas on what turbo to use are more than welcome!

enough talk, some pictures:

I'm his favorite uncle now.

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    Right now I have a tune which is giving me problems with knock.
    the question I would like to ask here:

do spark plugs have an effect on Knock?
    and if so, how?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xovolarjem View Post
    Had the same doubt, was hardly able to clock it till 0.2-0.3%.

With Regards,
    showbox Tutuapp Kodi
    I changed to a 400CEL catalytic converter with a higher capacity.
    passed inspections without a problem.