Thread: What's the 5 series to look for that wont drive you crazy trying to fix?

My Cars
    E39

What's the 5 series to look for that wont drive you crazy trying to fix?

Hello folks, I've had BMW's in the past, usually from the lemon lot on base while in Germany so I never got to choose one I really wanted. I currently have an Audi A6 Quattro that makes me curse at it every time something needs fixing, like the $6 rear tranny seal that required me taking out the engine and transmission just to get to that damn seal, no lift available to work on.

So, I want to get a good deal on a 5 series and have the time to wait on one but also do not want to get a friggin headache just because it looks pretty but is a pain in the ass to work on, if you know what I mean. Some models are just nice to work on while others have the dreaded engine or tranny that is a major pita and rather skip.

In a nutshell, whats the general consensus for the most liked used BMW to work on from 2005 to present?

Thanks.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    You are right in the danger zone. My take is that if it is a 2005 or newer, I don't want it used. Just too damned much to go wrong. Yes, I can replace the AC pump, fuel pumps, transmission, and other assorted pieces easy enough, but the constant working on stuff is just a bugger, and parts are expensive.

All that said, E60/61 and E91 auto transmissions are nice and drive well, but they are known to need mechatronic valve body rebuilds at around 100K. I believe the shifting gets funky because the bodies gum up, and most people do not flush the fluid at 50K or so miles. I think 65K is the max you should run on the tranny fluid. Oh yeah, DO NOT get an all wheel drive. I say Get a rear wheel drive, low miles, manual transmission E60, with no turbo (N52 engine). That would be the "easiest" to work on. Next would be a turbo E60 if power is your thing. Then an E91, which I don't know if you can get in a non-turbo flavor. Stick with a 6-cylinder. V-8's have more electronic ignition parts, and less room in the engine bay to work. Getting at anything on a V8 BMW is very cramped and potentially unpleasant. Did I mention you SHOULD NOT GET AN XDRIVE! I love our 530XI, but I had extended warranty until this month, and I just bought a lift. If you fix in your driveway/garage with a jack and stands, the all wheel drive will be a giant pain in the tuchus for many reasons. Last but not least, you better be able to build an INPA based diagnostic system if you are buying a 2005 or newer BMW. It will save you many $$$ in diagnostic fees.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    Not a BMW that's for sur
    I also came from an A6 (and an A4 before that) and I feel your pain. I can't say the E60 is any more reliable, but it is much easier to work on. Few things require a lift or "assuming the service position".

DaHose was spot on when he wrote:

" I say Get a rear wheel drive, low miles, manual transmission E60, with no turbo (N52 engine). "

Exactly. And maybe not an E60; it has so much electronic tomfoolery. Most mechanical things are fixable but there are a few forum members here who have dead cars because they can't figure out the DME's etc. To fix these things you'll ned to get set up with INPA/ISTA etc. Heck, even my local indy is loathe to update the modules lest something go wrong and cause bigger problems.

I've got other family members with the the N54 engine (my brother has two - so he has something to drive when one is in the shop!) and two friends with 200k+ M3's. The M3's have been very reliable ... but they are non-turbo, manual transmission, no xDrive.

To be honest, if you're looking for something with a manual transmission there are many other options out there besides BMW. If I had $45k+ to dorp on a car, I'd get a Kia Stinger GT. If I could stand the looks of the Infinity M56x I'd get one of those. I would definitely never buy another German car though - I don't think they bring enough to the table to make them worth the cost. That 2017 Legacy 2.5i with 10k for $17k looks better every time my E60 hiccups and threatens another repair.

EDIT: I meant to write "if you're NOT looking for a manual transmission..."
    Last edited by Norskie; 05-13-2018 at 08:19 AM.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    If we are talking creative alternate options, Genesis looks pretty impressive. I have a buddy who bought a Coupe and can't speak highly enough about it.

I have always been partial to the Infiniti brand too.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    E39
    Thanks for the replies as it steers me in the right direction. Manual transmission out here is a rarity so not easy to find. If I wanted practical I would get a bulletproof Asian car but European cars have a certain panache about them and I would like to find one very cheap to work on. Audi's out here are cheap because they are too damn expensive to work on.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    E60 5 series are cheap also because they are expensive to repair and maintain. OK car for DIYer. Not so great if you will be paying mechanic. The $50k car may cost $7k used but the repair bills will be for a $50k car.

My Cars
    91-Dinan 850TT
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    E60 5 series are cheap also because they are expensive to repair and maintain. OK car for DIYer. Not so great if you will be paying mechanic. The $50k car may cost $7k used but the repair bills will be for a $50k car.
    All used BMW's require a DIYer! Whether it be major or minor repairs, they will break your wallet. I have restored and rebuilt several 850's. They are no more expensive for parts, but the car is so electronically complicated, it requires a bit of knowledge and experience to maintain. I can never stress enough, preventative maintenance is the key, don't wait until it breaks.
    Now to answer original question- Which 5 series is the most desireable. I was trolling eBay and other sites and ran across a 2006 E61 wagon. Did the research of what problems are associated with E61 from 2004 to 2010. I found the N52, 2006/2007 models were most desirable to me. Since the 2006 purchased 3 years ago, I have purchased a 2007 last year with sport package and some other options I was looking for. Fell in love with the cars and just purchased my third one- 2007 530xiT sport loaded as well.
    Now what to expect-
    #1- water pump/thermostat, this is a failure that will stop you in your tracks suddenly on the side of the road. Worth changing at 105k. The 2006 failed at 105,900., the 2007 failed at 147k, the new to me 2007 will get a water pump next week. It has 115k. Piece of mind!
    #2- Service the transmission/filter.
    #3- Check all the belt tensioners and belt as well as all hoses, etc.
    #4- Make sure battery is healthy- lots of Gremlins come out of nowhere. This has been my experience many times on all models. 5 year or older battery might test good but will raise hell on the car.
    #5- Replace all struts and shocks. You will definitely appreciate the "new" ride. Drive it like you stole it!
    #6- Remember its a love/hate relationship!! Requires patience at times.

So, IMO- I suggest look for a 2006-2007 N52 5 Series. Motor problems are just one of the pitfalls of the newer ones. All of this is my opinion only.
    Hope it helps.

Used BMW's out of warranty are cheap, but expect to invest the few thousand to bring the car up for another 100-130k miles and very dependable.
    One last experience- If you don't hand wash them with a little rubbing, they feel neglected and will bite you!!
    IMG_0908.jpg All genuine OEM BBS wheels. Kinda proud of those. The staggered on the grey one also fit the E31 850. I put the Rondells back on it.
    TT3990.jpg
    Last edited by TTTXGreg; 05-13-2018 at 10:31 AM.