Thread: Fuel Gauge Issues

My Cars
    2000 528i Touring

Fuel Gauge Issues

Hello Folks,

First time post here and wow what a cool website. I have owned our 2000 E39 Touring since 2006 and have put a million miles on it and it has been a great car! It now reads just over 264k miles and I have been having an issue with the fuel gauge readings. When the gauge reads at about half way between one half and one quarter tank the cars stops running as if it were out of gas. The first time it happened I called AAA, they came out, we put some gas in it and it started right up so I proceeded to the nearest gas station for a fill up. It has happened a few times since and so now as the gauge starts to go under half tank I fuel up again. Normally I get over 300 miles per tank with normal town and freeway driving but now it's closer to 200 plus miles.

So, the question is... Has anyone here had this problem? and what do you think the issue could be? I was thinking a blockage of some sort at the fuel pump but have not pulled the pump out to have a look since I keep the tank relatively full. Looking forward to your thoughts and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and great website!

AB

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would check for faults the car has left and right senders in the tank