Thread: Rear Wiper Wiring Location

My Cars
    1990 750il

Rear Wiper Wiring Location

02 E39 540 Touring.

I was cleaning out all of the sand and dirt from around the wrapped wires in the rear tailgate window that power the tailgate and rear wiper system. Had a little rust there that I cleaned up and put some POR on, I unwrapped all the wires and cleaned all the gunk out of there, and then re-wrapped them. I checked all the wires for obvious breaks, cracks, torn insulation and did not find any, put it all back together, and now my rear wiper and washer no longer work. I suspect there was or is now a broken wire in there somewhere that I moved, so I checked the fuses were good, and then took the wires back out, checked them again, and the wiper and washer started working. Put it all back together and then no longer works.

Question is which side of the tailgate has the wires that are responsible for the Wipers and Washer? Or is it both? Just trying to narrow down where I can focus my troubleshooting this weekend. I think it is the passenger side wires where the issue is, but that is just a guess.

Thanks!

Andy

My Cars
    e61 touring RIP e39 wagn

I had similar issues with my rear wiper wouldn’t sweep so to speak .
    From memory I found the right wiring has broken .
    Can’t tell you if washer is right or left side as mine was working at the time .

Isn’t the rear washer pump up front ??
    So wiring for washer is up front and the pipe runs through the car . ???

@Passta
    Last edited by Barnesautos; 05-11-2018 at 02:37 PM.

My Cars
    e61 touring RIP e39 wagn

Last edited by Barnesautos; 05-11-2018 at 02:43 PM.

My Cars
    1990 750il
    Yea the pump is up front, I had recently replaced that, I'm guessing the wiper and pump are tied together cause when it started working again, both worked, but when it stopped, both stopped. Fronts are fine. Thanks for the info and the diagrams, I am going to try to dig into this over the weekend.