Thread: 2008 M3 E93 knocking sound

My Cars
    2014 Porsche GT3 991.1

2008 M3 E93 knocking sound

Hi, need some help and know our forum can point me in the right direction. Just got back from a 90 deployment, on home for 10 days before heading back out and drove from VA down to FL to visit fam last night. Upon arriving in FL a few hours out, heard a pretty aggressive tapping/knocking. Took it immediately to BMW here in FL. Walton Beach this morning and had the terrible news, (although not surprised from all i have read) the mechanical team are 90% sure it is the rod bearing. Its a 2008, 68K miles and ran like a champ for my 1000 mile trip down here.

Question is- the main mechanic told me he would need to pull the engine, and send next door to a machine shop to verify whether anything needs to be machined. He said if it not damaged than the can get the motor back and just install the rod bearing kit (about 30 hours of labor and the kit and machine work, not sure what that all means $$$). If it is damaged, then they would need to execute some machine shop work, and then send back to BMW for the rod bearing install. I am pretty decent mechanically but not sure with understanding what would be needed to be machined. It runs solid still, the knocking only come in around a low to upper rev.

ANY insight would be awesome. THANKS for the help. I can also take a audio clip, it is pretty distinct. The dealership has been really helpful today and is helping me get my previous records from the old dealership who did the maintenance to send something to BMW NA asking for any support since it is only at 68K miles and clearly a known problem. 10 years old but been serviced all properly and not tracking or anything else. Again, thanks all for any advice !!!

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    They need to open up the bottom of the engine to see what's going on. Or at least take a loot at the oil filter canister for metal. They shouldn't need to pull the engine first.
    Good luck, but it doesn't sound good.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    First of all someone needs to pull the oil pan, remove all the rod bearings, and inspect both the bearings and block for damage. If something really gave out it will probably be obvious before you even get it off. There may be damage to the block, rods, pistons, crank, and basically anything else in there. That said, I don't see why they need to pull the motor to do this, unless they think that it's less labor than dropping the front suspension and removing the oil pan. They might also want to look at the heads too. Also, 30 hours of labor at a dealer is gonna be like $6000+. You might be able to buy another motor for that.

If it were me and I were on a mission to try and avoid paying thousands of dollars I didn't need to pay, I'd either:

1. Take it to an independent German/BMW shop, preferably one that does quality engine machine work, like rebuilds, head work, and so forth (or has a good machine shop they partner with). DO NOT TAKE IT TO A BMW DEALER. Not unless you hate having money. Good independent shops will do better work for a lower price.
    2. Pull the motor or pan yourself and see what you can see. It should in theory be obvious while cranking the engine by hand with the bottom opened up. It may just be a loose/broken bearing cap or something. You haven't thrown a rod through the block and it still runs, so it's not catastrophic (yet). If you can get an idea what the issue is, you can either DIY it if it's within your ability or at that point take it to a shop and be able to give them a much better idea of what to do, saving a lot of money in labor.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 05-16-2018 at 08:45 PM.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    So what is the diagnosis? And get the car out if that dealership fast unless the car is under warranty. There are a few places that can rebuild the motor or install a used one for much less.

My Cars
    RWD
    Goodluck! Hopefully you have it sorted out by now, if you were in the South Florida area I could have helped you pull the pan to assess the damage, but it doesn't look good, sounds like a used or rebuilt motor is the way to go.