Thread: New to E31 and may even drive it one day

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci

New to E31 and may even drive it one day

I have adopted a ‘parking lot find’. An Orient Blue (minus a large amount of clear coat) 1995 840Ci with about 120k miles on it. The last owner used it as his daily driver for years and when the next car was purchased this one sat outside waiting for some attention. While he drove it the car was well cared for and treated gently. The worst wear on the car is from sitting. I had to tow it home since it would not start and it would not permit you to move the gear selector between gears – stuck in low. First two items were a fuel pump and a transmission valve body kit. I have a healthy amount of car repair experience but had never opened anything but a door on a BMW. It has been an interesting experience so far.
    The transmission valve body rebuild went smoothly with no problems. I say no problems but have not had a real test drive yet. Had to figure out the fuel pump issue first. Removing the fuel pump showed that the fuel pump gasket had partially disintegrated into the tank. Removed all debris, emptied tank, install new pump. The new pump failed in 6 miles – luckily I was home when it quit. I was confident that I had cleaned the tank sufficiently so it had to be just a bad pump. I had purchased from ECSTuning and they replaced pump under warranty. I was too overly cautious to just throw the second pump in so I decided I would remove and clean the tank again, replace all fuel lines and then I would be good for 20 more years. I think I disassembled everything from the driver seat back to get tank out. This included exhaust, driveshaft, and can you believe rear brakes? They ran the parking brake lines under the tank so you must remove the entire rear brakes to get those lines out of the way.
    And here we go……since tank is out may as well replace transmission rear seal and gear selector seals, transmission mounts, rear differential seal, all fuel and vent lines associated with tank (under hood hoses later), fuel pump/filter and sending unit, cut all 4 rotors, repair MID, replace caps in GM, and whatever else happens along the way. Transmission rear seal is done, diff is done, tank is back in, and now on to the easier bits. There is very little fun involved in reinstalling the fuel tank.
    I really hope this forum is correct that these are fun cars to drive. Since I have no experience driving one I am trusting all of you that this work is worth it. This forum has been an outstanding source of E31 education and I hope at some point I can give back. Thank you all for the knowledge share.
    BMW parking lot.jpgBMW flatbed.jpg

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Welcome to the Forum - sounds like you have done a lot of work already! And yes, they are fun to drive, but not anything like a modern car!
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Welcome, super great find. Love that Orient Blue.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the 8er world. They are fun to drive and I think even nicer to look at (that could just be me). But keep in mind this is a GT and not a 911 (the 911 was over 1000lbs lighter). You won't be throwing it through the slalom at record speeds, but you will be extremely comfortable on a three hour tour, a three hour tour (and look good doing it). Good luck with the repairs and enjoy!
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Good progress so far! Welcome to the forum

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    Welcome aboard... lotsa of good folks and info here. If not done already join the Chapter and visit the chapter web site www.bmwccae31.com for links to DYI info and also other fantastic E31 oriented sites
    (okay...so I'm biased.)

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillax View Post
    Welcome aboard... lotsa of good folks and info here. If not done already join the Chapter and visit the chapter web site www.bmwccae31.com for links to DYI info and also other fantastic E31 oriented sites
    (okay...so I'm biased.)
    Chill. I had forgotten to add the E31 Chapter when I first joined. I tried to go back and add but failed. I finally emailed bmwcca last week to find out what I was doing wrong and found out I need to phone them to add e31. Phoning really adds to the e31 experience..... Makes me feel like I am actually in the 90's. ) Will get that done soon. Thx.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    Cool Tks Much!! The more the merrier! Ask anyone who was among the 51 E31s who showed up in Spartanburg SC a few years back (wow... its been THAT long?!?)

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by NashTom View Post
    I have adopted a ‘parking lot find’. An Orient Blue (minus a large amount of clear coat) 1995 840Ci with about 120k miles on it. The last owner used it as his daily driver for years and when the next car was purchased this one sat outside waiting for some attention. While he drove it the car was well cared for and treated gently. The worst wear on the car is from sitting. I had to tow it home since it would not start and it would not permit you to move the gear selector between gears – stuck in low. First two items were a fuel pump and a transmission valve body kit. I have a healthy amount of car repair experience but had never opened anything but a door on a BMW. It has been an interesting experience so far.
    The transmission valve body rebuild went smoothly with no problems. I say no problems but have not had a real test drive yet. Had to figure out the fuel pump issue first. Removing the fuel pump showed that the fuel pump gasket had partially disintegrated into the tank. Removed all debris, emptied tank, install new pump. The new pump failed in 6 miles – luckily I was home when it quit. I was confident that I had cleaned the tank sufficiently so it had to be just a bad pump. I had purchased from ECSTuning and they replaced pump under warranty. I was too overly cautious to just throw the second pump in so I decided I would remove and clean the tank again, replace all fuel lines and then I would be good for 20 more years. I think I disassembled everything from the driver seat back to get tank out. This included exhaust, driveshaft, and can you believe rear brakes? They ran the parking brake lines under the tank so you must remove the entire rear brakes to get those lines out of the way.
    And here we go……since tank is out may as well replace transmission rear seal and gear selector seals, transmission mounts, rear differential seal, all fuel and vent lines associated with tank (under hood hoses later), fuel pump/filter and sending unit, cut all 4 rotors, repair MID, replace caps in GM, and whatever else happens along the way. Transmission rear seal is done, diff is done, tank is back in, and now on to the easier bits. There is very little fun involved in reinstalling the fuel tank.
    I really hope this forum is correct that these are fun cars to drive. Since I have no experience driving one I am trusting all of you that this work is worth it. This forum has been an outstanding source of E31 education and I hope at some point I can give back. Thank you all for the knowledge share.
    BMW parking lot.jpgBMW flatbed.jpg
    Ah, you are having the "new owner" experience. We all go through this to one degree or another. It generally gets better. The smiles will come when you put some miles on it.

Get ready to answer the usual questions: "What is that?", "Is that a new model?" "Is it as expensive to own as I've heard?" "Is that a Supra, it looks different?"

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    I drove the it! Test drive last night and a round trip (10 miles total) to work. Although I cannot be a fair judge since I am running it on 10 year old dry rotted, flat spotted, hard as rocks tires the experience was enjoyable. I can easily see and feel what the draw is. But as I have learned from reading here these cars can be quite the attention seekers. Looks like I did not pre-load the center carrier bearing enough - quiet on acceleration but noise any other time. At least that is what I think is making the noise. In case you ever want to hear any and all noises from the rear of the vehicle you just leave the seats out and remove the access panels for the fuel tank. I also have had the fun of the driver seat belt almost immediately locking itself in the fully retracted position. Tried moving the seat around to release it and learned that the seat raises itself by rotating to the center of the vehicle. This will not help any dream of driving NASCAR! Rotates the wrong direction. At least it appears that my fuel tank, diff seal, trans seals, trans valve body work have all been successful. No drips, solid shifts.

Any opinions would be appreciated - 16 inch tires are not the norm any longer - do you have any recommendations for brand? It looks like 245/50r16 will work. Or do I need to look at wheels? I would rather stay with the 16 inch until the car has proven itself but I will consider anything. Also, any experience with seat belt locking? 8tech did a great post on taking the seat apart. I will be digging into that next.

Thank you all for the nice welcome and the incredible amount of information shared here. Maybe one day I will disassemble something that has not been done yet. I can't wait till I have repaired the items I just mentioned so I can move on to this "Supra's" sun roof so I can drive in the rain too.

Should I have started a new thread if I have questions? Still learning proper forum behavior.

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Congrats on the test drive.

A few years ago there was an 8 owner & frequent forum contributor in your area but he sold his 8. Maybe someone will remember his forum name.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    You want a 235 50 16. 225 55 16 is what I have on my 16s at the moment, but you can't purchase these anymore.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    Thanks toomanyparts. The sizes are offering less choices everyday. Are the 245/50 too large for the front? Looks like plenty of clearance in the rear. The 225/55 are the stock recommendation for m/s and I would hate to assume that the 245 was ok and then find out I was wrong. Not many threads discuss the 16" wheels.

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    Welcome to the club Tom. I also have a 95 840. I'm going to be in Nashville over the Memorial day weekend. If your available perhaps we can meet up. I'd love to see your car. PM me if your free and interested.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    tooman - sent you a pm