Thread: 1995 e36 318i swap options... Need help/advice

My Cars
    1995 318ic

1995 e36 318i swap options... Need help/advice

Hi all,

I am considering replacing the engine in my '95 318i, 5 speed manual. I believe this is the M42B18 engine. I'm trying to determine whether to replace the engine or to sell the car as is. I'm looking for advice if I were to do an engine swap, I would prefer something with a bit more power, so probably an M50 or M52, but I have seen some engines for sale that say they are only compatible with '96-'99 models ...

Can anyone provide some advice as to what options might be relatively easy to swap without having to replace a bunch of other parts? Or even what is/isn't compatible.

I have seen some videos of swaps, and it sounds like a laundry list of other parts that need to upgraded to achieve this. I don't want a huge project, just a new motor with some more power. As somebody who has never done an engine swap I am hoping that anyone with experience with this can provide me some helpful knowledge.

Thanks!

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    Its a fairly easy swap considering e36's came with those motors. There's tons of information if you do research. Personally It would be easier and probably cheaper to just sell your 318 and buy a 325/328 or even m3.