eBMWParts

Thread: Compression and rebound settings after installing stiffer springs?

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6

Compression and rebound settings after installing stiffer springs?

I recently installed slightly stiffer springs with my KW V3 coilovers. I had previously dialed in my suspension settings for 450F/500R springs and now i installed 500F/600R springs.

I havent changed the compression or rebound after installing new springs. I do notice the stiffer springs when driving but the suspension still feels okay(most likely because it was a very slight spring increase and not drastic).

I was wondering if there was a general rule for compression and rebound adjustment when increasing spring stiffness. Like, if you install stiffer springs, you should soften compression and rebound for a better ride or vice versa.
    Thanks.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Why did you install higher spring rates ?
    I would contact KW, and ask what they recommend.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    Well, its mostly a HPDE car now but i had to disassemble the front suspension to fit 18x9 255/35/18 tires. The previous springs were a little rusty and i just decided to upgrade them since i had everything out.

I tried the recommended KW settings with the kw springs and it was no good at all. It was too soft and loose. I had to go much stiffer on both rebound and compression. When i go to the track i stiffen the rebound 180 degrees stiffer for both front and rear. I also increase 4 clicks of compression stiffer for the front and 2 for the rear.

I was just wondering if there was a general rule about rebound and compression when increasing spring rates. Maybe there is no adjustment needed.
    Last edited by hc1001; 05-28-2018 at 05:09 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    For anyone looking for an answer to my original question.

I found someone asking the same question in a Porsche forum. Someone replied that a Bilstein engineer told them they should stiffen rebound and soften compression as a general rule. Take it for whats its worth. 2nd hand knowledge on an internet forum.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    That's right. A stiffer spring rebounds with more energy so you need to increase rebound damping for the same response.