Thread: I got a new headliner, and now sunroof partition wont slide back when tilted.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3

I got a new headliner, and now sunroof partition wont slide back when tilted.

Hey Everybody.

I recently bought a new to me 1999 estroil blue m3 coupe. It had a saggy headliner.

I took it to a shop and they did the headliner in a newer material and it looks good.

The problem I have is that the fabric partition will not slide back to let air in when the sunroof is in tilt position. it is frustrating to be honest because that is the only position i really use my sunroof in!

The sunroof does open up all the way and the partition follows that fine.

What was not reconnected? Anybody have pictures? This guy is having trouble... heeeeeeeeelp

Thanks you all. I will post some pictures and list of mods of my car soon. Once I get it all fixed.

- Clay
    1999 BMW M3 Estoril Blue Coupe 5spd.
    GC 2 way adjust Coilovers.
    TMS adj trailing arms in rear.
    Racing Dynamics Front strut bar.
    Eibach Front swaybar
    UUC Lightweight Flywheel. UUC SSK.
    Depo Glass with HIDs

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    I'm trying to chase down the same problem. Remove the sunroof cover and look at the tracks. That's all I can tell you. I need to remove my cover again and inspect.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by scooper View Post
    I'm trying to chase down the same problem. Remove the sunroof cover and look at the tracks. That's all I can tell you. I need to remove my cover again and inspect.
    It's at the guys shop. I think he broke the tab that is all the way in the back of the driver's side partition track. I don't know....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Eibach Front swaybar
    Depo Glass with HIDs

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    This happened to me when I restored/rebuilt mine after doing the headliner too. The cable mechanism is out of position relative to the access panel. Mine wasn't broken. No way to better explain it as that mechanism still perplexes me how it works exactly. I think there are notches that are supposed to grab the panel on the plastic slides. Also verify the headliner isn't too thick as most headliners are 3mm thick, which will causing binding due to no clearance on the panel. I had to find a black replacement liner from Honda stock that was close to 2mm when I did mine, and even that is close to scraping the cassette when it goes back. This is one of those jobs that I'm so glad I did, but don't know how I was successful at it. Dumb luck that mine works as well as it does now I guess.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4
    Posts #2 & #5 have the answer & pictures of the tab that needs to be flush in the track. This gets pulled back when tilted and pushed forward when opening.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...Sunroof-mishap
    Last edited by BrianJ; 05-11-2018 at 11:53 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    This happened to me too. Something is definitely broke because the first time I used it after the headliner replacement, there was a very loud popping sound. After that it never worked again. I have to push the fabric covered part by hand now

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    Thanks for all your help everybody. I showed the guy some videos and he figured it out. He also broke a tab (the $30 one) and ended up buying two from the local dealership. He figured if one broke then he should replace the other. I hope he levels the sunroof out. Last time it was not very flush with the body.

I will get the car back Monday if everything goes smoothly.

Eibach Front swaybar
    Depo Glass with HIDs

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Info that would have ben of use BEFORE they broke it................

oops was going to add 2mb PDF but apparently it is too big.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Info that would have ben of use BEFORE they broke it................

oops was going to add 2mb PDF but apparently it is too big.
    Yeah I was happy with the headliner, but I felt like it was a little unprofessional that he didn't look it up before he did it before the work was performed (if he felt unsure about what he was doing).

I'm just glad he is taking care of it now. I know mistakes happen and atleast he is making up for it.

What was the PDF of?

Eibach Front swaybar
    Depo Glass with HIDs

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Every step to change headlining, how to engage and disengage the trim panel drive, how to remove sunroof steel panel and sliding trim panel.
    So everything to change all the headlining and matching trim

Oh and when I did mine I wrapped the alarm antenna around the steel hoop track and now it picks up the signal 150+ yards away
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by CHobbs59 View Post
    Thanks for all your help everybody. I showed the guy some videos and he figured it out. He also broke a tab (the $30 one) and ended up buying two from the local dealership. He figured if one broke then he should replace the other. I hope he levels the sunroof out. Last time it was not very flush with the body.

I will get the car back Monday if everything goes smoothly.

if it’s the tab I referenced on my post, there’s only one. (At least on mine)

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    Thanks guys! It has been resolved. I appreciate your help.

Eibach Front swaybar
    Depo Glass with HIDs