Thread: Can I fix trim on window?

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2

Can I fix trim on window?

The thin black trim that runs around the edge of the window separated at the corner. I had just removed my hard top for the summer on Saturday and noticed this as I walked up today at work. Can anyone tell me if it was originally attached with adhesive? This is an original top on a low mileage car. I don't want to replace a top that is in good shape.
    Think global, drink local, drive a convertible

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    What kind of BMW? Pics would be helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1933beer View Post
    The thin black trim that runs around the edge of the window separated at the corner. I had just removed my hard top for the summer on Saturday and noticed this as I walked up today at work. Can anyone tell me if it was originally attached with adhesive? This is an original top on a low mileage car. I don't want to replace a top that is in good shape.
    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    Z3 I thought I was on the right sub forum.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    I'm guessing that you're referring to what's called the Shadowline Trim (sport option I believe). You can likely take it to any shop that wraps cars and they'll be able to fix it.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    00 Z3 2.3
    You can try to reattach, but the only real solution is to replace the window.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    It's not entirely clear from your original post what window you are referring to, but I am assuming you mean the rear plastic window in the convertible top, and the rubber bead that runs around its edge and defines the border between the window and the top. If so, it is sewn onto the window and is replaced with a new window. The window zips into the top and so is replaced separately from the top. There is a lot to read up on before you tackle the job yourself, or just take it to an automotive upholstery shop and have it replaced. Some have had success with reattaching the rubber bead to the window with glue, but if it is separating, then it's time for a new window. The OE window is rather expensive. There are aftermarket solutions available, with the cheapest and best being the emiata window; however, that one does away with the rubber bead altogether in favor of a glue down cloth flap.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    ... Some have had success with reattaching the rubber bead to the window with glue...
    The bead is a channel on a flange that is sewed to the plastic window, and the edge of the canvas top is tucked into the bead with NO glue.
    The bead comes loose because the line of sewing is a weak line in the flat flange of the channel, and this line parts, comes apart. The bead separates from its flat flange.

So when the bead comes loose, people glue it to the canvas edge. This usually creates a visible mess, and results in a build up of hard glue on the canvas edge that interferes with it fitting into the bead of the new window. And a new window is inevitable.

So why glue the deteriorating loose bead to the canvas? One very good reason: a cheap cosmetic fix because you are not going to keep the car for long.
    If you are going to keep the car, gluing the bead is an abomination that does an owner no good.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 05-11-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    Vintage thanks for the information the car is in great shape so I will keep it original. You pay for what you get. I have replaced a the top on my Porsche so I am not afraid of replacing this top when it needs it. If I can replace the window section now and reuse it when the rest needs replaced I may do that. My day wants me to sell him the car. He loves it and has been after me since I bought it. I don't have something I want to replace it and the Porsche. Either way the car will stay in the family as my day is 79 and the car would find it's way back to me when he can't drive it.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... I am not afraid of replacing this top when it needs it. If I can replace the window section now and reuse it when the rest needs replaced I may do that...
    I don't know where replacement of the top entered the picture. The original canvas top can outlast several windows as windows are replaceable. They zip out and in.

This shows an OE window, which is trimmed by the black channel bead, and sealed by double sided tape between the window and the canvas top:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGMi8XneLhM

This thread discusses the Emiata window which uses a perimeter glued canvas edge to both trim and seal.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5#post22334895

When the canvas top finally deteriorates, most people buy an aftermarket top which has a sewn-in window, because they cost about 1/4 what an OE top with zipper window costs.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 05-10-2018 at 05:04 PM.

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    Ok read it all. Would be willing to do the emiata window but I did not see a tan option one guy had found one in the thread but I don't see it available. I will do some digging.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    The Emiata window only has black edging. It looks OK in a tan top.

Emiata & Tan Top.jpg

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    Ya ok. With the issues you had with oem window I may try this first and if I don't like it I am not out much.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Yes, the second window I received was the Emiata, and I wish I had tried it rather than returning it to try and fail with another OE window.

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    I have a new window on it's way I hope I like the wider trim lline around the window.

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    The new window is in. I did it with one tube of glue. My advice make sure you have The Zipper lined up properly or your window will not lay right or you won't even be able to get a zipped. It was much easier on the second try with my son's help.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... My advice... much easier... with my son's help.
    I think that is the most important piece of advice -- to have a second person. I might have succeeded with my OE window if I had help.