Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headlight Mod Sneak Peak!

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    awesome Rings buddy
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL (5/97)
    Amazing work

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Thanks again! I got back to it today and re-wired it all. I've tapped off the power source of the low-beam inside the headlight enclosure, so they'll be on whenever the car is on. DRL are programmed in on my car and I can't get any software to work for more than a couple seconds in my car, so I've given up on trying to reprogram things.

I COULD make a switch that is just hardwired to the lowbeams, and rings, but.. I just don't want to heh.

Will get the lights installed tomorrow and get some pics up.

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I ran a line of double-sided foam tape to keep the rod in place, and ensure they stay aligned. Not sure it was needed, but the sense of security is there now.
    813.jpg

Here's another shot showing it behind the glass cover. You can see the wiring in this picture, but in person and at a normal viewing angle it's completely hidden behind the strakes on the glass itself.

816.jpg

I tapped off the low-beam positive and negative, also recrimped the end spade terminals. This ensures a quality connection, and takes no extra room!

814.jpg

Then I ran the power leads to the LED's through to the highbeam side, where there is far more room in the housing - I assume for HID kits or something:
    815.jpg

Installed pics to come =)

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    hey if you want a test set of FL lights hit me up. i was gonna use them to mock up my new projectors but seeing as i might be going another direction they're yours if you want them.
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Whoa that's generous! From what I've seen on the FL light assemblies THIS style that I've been doing (rod in front of the lens) wouldn't fit right, it would require cutting things up. For a personal project I wouldn't mind at all, but the only reason I'd take the FL lights is to show, "Look I can make these for you if you like!" But then the person who buys the rings would need to do the cutting etc, and risk messing it up.

I mean, I'm down for free lights if you're offering for a good cause hahah, but I just don't think it's worth your while!

I *AM* planning on opening up my tail lights next to get those refreshed. Haven't settled on a design yet, but the gears are turning.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    That gonna be a good idea
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Very impressive, you sir are a craftsman.

I show a painted pulley as my big accomplishment lol and you are designing and fabbing items off a wish list... real cool.
    1997 740iL; 5/96 build. Purchased 12/04. Off the road build project 2013 - 2021. back on road 3/2021. Became daily driver (only vehicle) 6/12/2021. Still not completed. Stay tuned as the adventure continues.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Well well well.

Perhaps............. I shouldn't have built them in a dark and low-lit work area. Turns out the sun, even on an overcast day, kinda hurt the overall effect hahah!

I've been saying from the START that I wanted/needed to put WHITE behind the rods to bring them out, but going on how bright they actually were here and in the pictures above, I figured it was unnecessary. That is until I had them installed, and in the daylight:

818.jpg

They're ON in that picture!

Ah well, even if they were bright enough, the darn COOL-WHITE colour is far too cool-white to match the headlights. I could go for whiter lights, but they're always cheaper and burn out half-way to or from your destination in my experience. Unless you spend $60 a bulb, not thx.

Here's how they look installed, and off. Not BAD, but... really just not the overall effect I was going for. Sheeeessshhhhhhhhh.

817.jpg

I have other projects that have I have other projects that have taken a backseat to this one, so I've gotta get on top of those before I go back and fix these up. For now they're just fine, they're just not anywhere near what I thought they were going to be based on bench testing.

Here's the only other shot I managed grab when I was up and out there:

819.jpg

You can better see how they look in person based on THAT picture, it's just blurry as hell haha =D

My Cars
    '95 740i
    When I DO get back to it, this is basically what I've settled on for the rear - after about 40 versions!

820.jpg

(google imaged E38 rear, and got that picture it had bimmerboard and a plate on it, hope nobody minds me using it)

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I think the key for it showing better would be to frost the rods to diffuse the light more plus maybe the white backing you mentioned. Then some high powered Cree LEDs for each end. Still looks great, just need to tweak the light effect.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    '95 740i
    They are 1watt led's, more than capable, but with the frosting you lose a lot of light, you'd need to inject it from behind. The white background works far better than frosting because it only reflects in one direction. Frosting on just the back would work almost as well, but because of the coarse surface, it reflects too much light in the . . wrong directions.

Just a 5mm strip of white tape on the back of the rods would do wonders, and as I said that WAS my plan, but with the bench testing it appeared it wasn't needed. It's like your cell phone in the dark, it's WAY too bright but in the sunlight you can't see a THING =D

- - - Updated - - -

Another - much better - idea would be to get Acrylic TUBE and run a white foam pipe through the center. So many options so little time =D

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Alright well, while I was working on building some shelves for my garage, I pulled the car out again and grabbed some shots. They lights ARE growing on me as they are, regardless of not turning out how they should have!

Few more shots, cause.. I love uploading photos =D

The car is COVERED in dust, hood trim is off, windshield trim is off, lower door sill trim is off, front wheel liners off, etc.. so ignore all that junk for now hah!

821.jpg

822.jpg

823.jpg

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    They do look great. I didn't realize you lose so much light frosting it. And a 1 watt LED is very bright, so yeah, maybe all it would take is some white backing. But then they would become way more noticeable when off, right?
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Yeah that's the issue I'm deciding on. Looks good parked as is.

The Angel eyes I had before looked great with a white back and unpowered but they were lower profile.

Decisions decisions haha

My Cars
    2001 750iL
    Very nice work Jamos!
    2005 X5 4.8is (DD winter) * 2001 750iL (DD summer) * 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 L <> 2005 X5 3.0 * 2003 X5 4.4i * 2009 X3 3.0 * 2009 X5 3.0 * 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited

My Cars
    2007 Z4 M Coupe
    Nice work Jamos! I've done a similar project about 14 years ago on my 1995 Dodge Avenger. Instead of round rods, I've used clear, hexagon-shaped window blind tilt wands -- hexagon-shaped rods are much easier to mold! Also, I've used self-adhesive aluminum duct (not duck!) tape on the back of the rods to reflect some of the light. Bottom line, I had a similar result during day time. Unfortunately, these DYI "angel/halo" rings truly reveal themselves during low levels of lights.

Nevertheless, the hexagonal shape of your rings make the headlights look different!!
    Current: 2007 Z4 M Coupe (blue/black)
    Previous: 2001 740iL Sport (black/black), 2000 528i Sport (black/tan), 1995 318is (black/black), 1991 318is (white/black)

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Hey thanks again guys!

Ruskii I used to have a '99 Avenger ES, it was my first car! ASECLUB ftw =D

avve.jpg

avvvve.jpg

Sold it to a buddy when I bought the SRT8 and within a few months he totaled it. Sad

Back to the headlights -

I got some white electrical tape to put on the back annnnnd it TOTALLY soaks up the light, even dimmer than frosting them backs! So, last test will be chrome paint on the back (so that it comes out like a mirror through the lens effect) and if THAT doesn't work. . . well too bad =D

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Nooooooooope. Spraying them with a chrome paint, did nothing. Sure LOOKS like it should work, but it actually just reflected more light at the START and virtually zero light made it to the end of the pipe.

Original parts work best, which isn't exactly excellent.

Ah well!

Alpine 7even is offline The King Of E38 Custom BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    e38 iL, F-e38 iL, e23 L7
    Looks like the same issues I had. Try light rope. I looked into it but got bored of the project and moved on to retrofitting in Q45 projectors.

-2000 iL Individual. VF Supercharged at 12psi, Dinan MAF and TB, 6spd 420g swap, Euro under body guards, strong strut, N62 engine cover, Hydro trunk, Full suspension mods, Brembo F+R big brakes, custom headliner/interior, Bi-Xenon headlights, wide screen nav/mk4, Custom splash screen (I make them), coded video module with custom made harness, reverse camera, Intravee II, factory rear screen entertainment console, rear comms armrest, rear blower, seat back tables and writing tablet, all euro options coded on etc.
    -1997 iL. Pioneer 8500nex double din/Avic navigation, swc and dsp still functional. Reverse camera, full suspension upgrades, leather dash, console and door cards, rear blower, Re-upholstered seats, facelift sport contour seats, heated steering wheel, 750 front brakes, custom cup holder replacing the front ash tray, all euro options coded, headliner in black, rear headliner MID console.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12