Thread: HELP indy criss crossed my 2000 E38 750iL DME's

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12

HELP indy criss crossed my 2000 E38 750iL DME's

Shalom everyone, Hope all is well and I appreciate all of the great wisdom, knowledge, experience and understanding that is within this Forum. Now that I have all of the pleasantries out of the way, my challenge....

I had a Zionsville Radiator and all Power Steering reservoir and hoses installed by somewhat new indy. Everything went well except my angel eyes weren't reconnected and I heard a clickity clack that ended up being from a loose water pump pulley and there was a very small drop of who knows what that I wish that I never said anything about (but I did tell them that I didn't want the car back with anything leaking).

Took car back immediately to after hours drop off and the next morning they told me that the water pump pulley was the noise that I heard. They also said that I definitely have a big leak and that they needed to pull the
    transmission to investigate. I reluctantly authorized the request and the next day I get a call to come down. I immediately went to the shop and was greeted by the mechanic that was assigned to my car. When he led me into the shop area I just wanted to kill over from what I saw.

My Lion was in pieces and dissected as if open heart surgery had been performed under the
    hood. They had taken the intakes off etc, you name it. I'm sick just typing this out. Talking about a valley pan leak...I did not authorize anyone to do anything under the hood. I should have been called down to look immediately once tranny was out and I would have remembered that....I ran the heat while I drove it back to drop off, which for some reason in my car has always left a silver dollar or small tea cup saucer size leak. But I would just top off the coolant every other day during colder months. Car only leaked in winter and only when car was turned off, never while it was being driven.

Okay, My apologies for the long background VENT...

Now they say that they only took
    computers out and did not disconnect them. All i know is that when they said it was ready for pickup, they couldn't get throttle or that they lost throttle EML, they called the local computer car guy that goes around to all INDY shops and he got the throttle back somehow via computer. But still had check enginelight on. I finally took car and got it home and diagnosed it myself so I THINK... Low and behold... My DMEs were crisscrossed wired...what I mean is 3 black and 2 gray connected to the master DME in the back and 3 gray and 2 black connected to the slave DME in the front.

They say they cant get the secondary
    pump to work or come on even after I bought them a new one to install. I think that somehow the computer guy coded or forced the car to work/Run very smoothly even with the DME wired very incorrect. My limited knowledge BLACK in the back (master) and GRAY in the front (slave) no interracial or mixing of the colors...lol when connecting the DME. I wired it all up correctly and even swapped DMEs just incase they swapped them around and no matter whicg was master or slave the car would barely start and when it did.....It sounded very horrible, like a transformer being hit by a few of Megatrons laser rounds. It would run fro a bit and die.

I put it back in CrissCross as stated above and it ran smooth. drove it to fill up on fuel and lost
    throttle when I restarted and I did the EML sync 5 on and 5 off and key off 10sec restart and all good.... I know that My DMEs are wired wrong. I just need someone here to assist with BMW documentation so that I can show him proof. I cant pass emissions test because secondary air pump cant get the command because of miswired DMEs....*****PLEASE HELP***** I need photos and etc and all feedback. Havent driven my car since December 15th. Todah/Thanks to all in advance.... Thanks for the admonishment Qsilver7
    Last edited by uinvyme; 05-09-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: too many errors

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Okay everyone, I think that I have finally figured this problem. After getting donor dme virginized and my VIN put in and synced EWS and key to them and equipped with new engine wiring harness I put in 20 hours of work in the form of diagnosis and installation of above parts. Friend that was helping left late and got hit by a drunk driver, therefore I took a 3 hour break at midnight and went to her aid. Got back home and finally it hit me. Still not confirmed yet but seems logical....it checked spark plug wiring harness and saw that they put bank 1 on bank 2 and bank 2 on bank 1, that's why I believe that the car runs like butter when the DMEs are criss crossed and like $hi+ when the DMEs are wired up correctly. Wow, after 8 months at 2 different shops and with the assistance of DUDMD and Miss BimmerLV this should be a wrap after I get the wire on the correct banks and in proper order. Thanks to all and I hope I didn't leave anyone out.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    They took off the fuel rail and intakes for a leak! Glad you got it figured out.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Said that they had to take the top of the motor off because coolant was leaking from the valley pan. I've yet to do the rewire of the plugs, but my gut says that's the only logical explanation where something got crossed up. Like I said, smooth as butter when master dme has 3 black and 2 gray, and slave has 3 gray and 2 black. Krazy

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Try swapping over the connections for the CAMshaft sensors - they will cause a problem exactly as you described....
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    This is how the DMEs have to be wired to run smooth. If I keep the colors altogether, car starts and then might run violently and die

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    This is an 2000 e38 m73 750iL by the way

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    There has to be a simple answer to this problem. Car runs when criss crossed. Both sides must be running, because when I pull coil wire from both sides on different start cycles the engine dies. Are the camshaft or crank sensors side specific? Engine harness can barely be crossed up because of length of wires

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Ok, finally an update on my 2000 BMW 750iL, Patrick at Sin City BMW pinned everything out and found out that the wiring harness was wired wrong regarding the crankshaft sensors. Apparently if you go down the wrong side of the bell housing of the transmission the length of the wires change. The harness is darn near dummy proof as far as the length of wire and where it goes is concerned, ie oxygen sensors and crankshaft sensors and some and etc... except if you go down the wrong side of the transmission....lol, all I can say is WOW and I new it was going to be stupid simple. But what is really trippy, is how the ignorant 1st indy shop even got the engine to run smoothly by crisscrossing the DME wires.... still down, just trying to get the monitors to set in order to pass smog. Thanks for everyone's patience.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    That's great news! The hardest problems to fix are those that were introduced by 'experts'!
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Amen to that