Thread: Looking for padding replacement.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI

Looking for padding replacement.

I pulled the floor insulation out as it was partially rotten and very stinky. I want to go back with a thermal/sound pad e are a million choices. Dynamite, Fatmat, hushmat and a million others. Several are 80 mil thick, others thicker.

I wouldn’t care much about the thickness except near the front of the tunnel next to the throttle pedal, the existing pad is really thick in that spot. Just wondering how that might effect the carpet fit. Anyway looking for some recommendations or experiences.

In the mean time with all the interior out, i am going to sort out the audio wiring, change out window switches for illuminated, sort out the seat heaters, take care of the wood, clean and finish the leather, clean out the sunroof drains, change the trunk gasket and the sunroof gasket, get a new turn signal stalk, sort out the cruise control, and change out the dash lights.

Good news is except for the padding I have all the parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1985 BMW 735i
    espoe,

Here is what I used to put under my carpet and original insulation. My insulation was in fair shape, but very compressed. I added dynamat, then the MLV with foam, the old insulation and then of course the carpet. It is pretty difficult making the bends and corners with the MLV. That is why I put the old insulation on top; to smooth things out a bit. I did have to trim the sides of the carpet just a bit.

I also added the MLV under the backrest and bottom of the rear seat, plus made a pad for the trunk. This coupled with the new door window seals now gives me a very quiet car.

https://www.yahoosoundproofing.com/compositevinyl.html

There website is a bit archaic, but they shipped it fairly fast and I had no issues. Best thing about the MLV with the closed cell foam, is that it doesn't absorb water like the old insulation.

C

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI

So I spent the last few days really digging into this and there is so much information and opinion it gets crazy. I needed to replace the funky padding on the floor and get something else in there. But living here in the south, any opportunity to keep heat from getting in must be seized upon, particularly since air conditioning in these cars is mostly a good suggestion, even when its working well.

I researched this as the average guy wanting to do things right and spend a reasonable amount of money. I hate cheap stuff, junk, or cutting corners to save 20 bucks. I wanted a quiet, comfortable interior that would have good sound for all but the most exacting audiophile.

I found out the heat and sound issues are very different and neither are best accomplished by any one product, though a single product can make things better. The best approach is multi layered. Dynamat and Dynapad are a great example, one is primarily for sound, the other for heat. Together they do better for both than they could on their own.

Because of that, I decided to treat the floor and exterior facing surfaces with a mat of some type, add a layer to compliment the first, and the final layer would be the carpet and pad. Unfortunately I started this too late to do what would have been a great first step, to first paint Lizard Skin over the floorboards and any interior surface that was exposed to outside. It’s a ceramic paint that will knock out a lot of the heat gain before it ever enters the car, just as ceramic tint does for the windows. They say 2 gallons is enough to properly cover 55ish square feet. That will set you back about $200.00 plus shipping.

That not withstanding and using the multi layered approach, the first product to research was the floor and metal lining. We have all seen the many types of silver pads or wraps that line the interiors of cars these days. These pads are more about resonance than pure sound deadening as we might conventionally think.

Thin metal panels vibrate and will transmit noise into the cabin. Stopping that requires a pad that has some strength and some mass, which is why the products are so heavy. While we typically see total interiors covered, it’s not really always necessary from a sound point of view because you need just enough to tame the panels. If you know how to do that, it’s good news for budgets because you can order less material to do the job. For me though, stop the heat! I’m covering everything.

I looked at all the options I could stand including FatMat, HushMat, RaaMat, NVX, Dynamat, Noico, Soundskins, and Qubed. All of them were similar in makeup, thickness, and materials. There are many options 50mil, 80 mil, 70mil, big sheets, small squares etc. The common thing among the best were they were butyl based, waterproof, close to 80 mil, and having reflective material. Since our cars will get water in them at some point, you can keep telling yourself otherwise, that waterproof piece was just as important as the others.

When I found lower priced ones, many were asphalt based, or had something that could absorb water. Besides having tar inside your living space that can ooze or smell like oil when it gets hot, I also was not interested in something that was going to collect water and start the funky smelling all over again. There was also one with a material that looked like foil but actually was not so the heat reflectivity of it would be lessened. So beware of the lowest end stuff or the cheap alternative.

Looking at the reviews for the preferred group, there were differences of opinion on the adhering glue, smell, size options, and personal preference of installers. Some had performance stats better than others, but nothing glaring for me the average guy. All had their fans and critics, and all had substantial numbers of positive reviews.

After all that, I originally chose Fatmat as the best value but after giving it more thought, I choose Noico off Amazon because I could really find no reason otherwise for my purposes. It’s 80 mil, butyl, Foil, comes in bulk packs, and it’s waterproof. Add to that I am a prime member and that took care of shipping, remember this stuff is heavy.

The next layer will be MLV, mass layered vinyl, with a thin layer of closed cell foam (CCF) attached. Technically the foam is for the heat, and the mass for the sound, but as I said earlier, together they accomplish a lot. Having this installed over the first layer is also helpful because it is decoupled. You can look that up it means if the Mass vinyl was directly on top the first Noico layer, it wouldn’t be nearly as effective for sound and heat as it will be with that layer of foam. I got the 1lb/sq ft roll of 100 Square Feet for $200.00. Keep in mind this roll will weigh 100 pounds and it’s 1/8 inch.

I measured the car very roughly and came up with full coverage to be 130 Square feet for the floorboards and up the firewall and door sills, under the back seat and up the trunk facing panel, all 4 doors inside and on the panel side, trunk and trunk lid, and the rear shelf. Unfortunatley the roof already has a new headliner so it’s not in the calculation.

For my install, using multiple layers, the comparisons between the companies came out like this

Option 1 -Dynamat Extreme and 2 Dynapads - $769.00 Plus tax and shipping
    Option 2- FatMat Megamat plus 2 liners $420.00 plus tax and shipping
    Option 3-RaaMat Tile and Mat $445.00 Delivered
    Option 4-Noico and MLV $392.00
    Option 5-NVX and MLV $527.00

I chose option 4 For 392.00 plus tax, It comes to my house. I will need to buy a roll of CCF of about 100 feet which I am still looking into, and some contact cement and fasteners to hang the MLV on the doors, trunk panel and lid. I would have had to order some foam for the others as well, just maybe 1/2 as much since I included a couple liners for them in my pricing.

The real deciding factor for me was I could get more coverage at a reasonable price, fight off heat better, and have a very high quality result using the Noico, MLV, and Foam, than I could using the liners and pads of the others. This is of course based on my average guy research, which turned into many hours because, well…..I’m a car guy and it’s interesting!
    Last edited by espoe; 05-11-2018 at 11:17 PM.

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Wow! Not trying to be a buzz kill but quick math that adds up to over $3k for sound deadening and insulation... Why???
    Plus, how much is all that gonna add in weight to the car?

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI

Ok, I see i need to edit my post. I would junk the car before I spent that much on that stuff. Those were all the options, the one I chose was 392.00. I was just Comparing them against each other so you could see what the others cost. So with the pad I still have to order I will be in it for about 500 total for a first class job.

As far as the weight, it will add about 150 pounds spread out from front to back. I can live with that; I’ll just add another pound of boost

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by espoe; 05-11-2018 at 11:22 PM.