Thread: Air con severe vibration

My Cars
    '01 Alpina B10 V8

Air con severe vibration

I have a severe vibration problem coming from the engine bay of my E39 V8. It is very loud. I have narrowed it down to the a/c as I can reproduce the vibration most of the time with the a/c on but as soon as I turn off the a/c, it stops. With the fan on but a/c off it sometimes makes rattling noises briefly but doesn't make the vibration noise. With the fan and a/c off I never get either the vibration or rattling noises. The a/c appears to be working normally and at fully efficiency and the vibration is no worse when the cabin fans are on max with the a/c on. I can see the push fan turning on and off when standing in front of the car and it doesn't seem to cause any vibration on these occasions (I rarely observe the problem with the bonnet up as it only seems to last a few seconds or so from start up).

I recently had an issue with the power steering fluid being low and a slow leak, when I had vibration through the wheel under braking and funny noises from the engine bay which are now resolved, so it appears I had two separate problems occurring concurrently. I replaced the microfilters 9 months ago.

Has anyone had this type of problem with the a/c and if so, what is likely to be the culprit, the condenser, the push fan or something else? Normally the vibration occurs in the first few seconds of startup, when driving slowly or when idling and coasting although maybe that's when i can hear it more clearly. Perhaps the hot weather right now is exacerbating the problem. TIA.
    Last edited by PliSsK; 05-09-2018 at 10:19 AM.

My Cars
    '01 Alpina B10 V8
    Update: I'm fairly sure it's the secondary pusher fan that would need replacing but it's not been playing up the last few journeys.