Thread: OBD Diagnostic tool recommendations

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0i

OBD Diagnostic tool recommendations

Today was the first day driving after winter storage and after about 30 minutes i had 3 indicator lights pop up: Brake, ABS and Dynamic Stability Control. My initial thought is it might be one of the ABS Wheel Speed Sensors but I would like to purchase an OBD diagnostic tool to hopefully handle it as a DIY. Dealer one time cost is $170 so it will definitely pay for itself. I've seen a couple (i CarSoft BMII and BMW C110). Any thoughts or recommendations for one that is easy to use, covers most or all systems on a 2008 E85 and is reasonably priced?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello - take a look at the link below. We just started stocking these tools and have heard only great things about them. Please let us know if you have any questions and we'll be happy to assist.

Schwaben Pro Scan Tool for BMW
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    EXOTICS

Post BMW Diagnostic Scan Tools

Well then, here are some options,
    concerning diagnostic tools,

For a good BMW scan tool, I feel you have 3 options:

• Foxwell nt530:https://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesal...0-updated.html
    • Carly for BMW:http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/
    • INPA software for BMW: Do a search on bimmerforums

I recommended them in no specific order,
      as selection is based more on preference.

INPA is an excellent diagnostic tool,
      but is a proprietary BMW factory tool.
      So all available copies are technically bootleg versions.
      This requires a copy of the INPA software downloaded into a laptop computer,
      along with the correct cables for your particular model of BMW.
      I recommend this only for computer geeks, or the mostly computer savvy among us.

For an affordable standalone unit, Foxwell nt510(nt530 Updated version) is the preferred unit, along with required cables.
      It can scan for BMW codes, among other things, as it can communicate with all BMW modules.

Carly for BMW is an APP,
      and as such, requires a smartphone,
      along with a connection to the OBD2 port in your vehicle,
      supplied either by cable or wireless connection via Bluetooth dongle

Update: Now the Carly BMW app is $64/year on a recurring subscription
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 07-14-2020 at 02:44 AM. Reason: UPDATE version

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0i
    Which ones (Schwaben, Creator 310 or other) will "activate" the ABS system so i can bleed the brakes and ABS system as a DIY?

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    hello,do you have any experience about NT520? I heard nt520 is the upgrade version of NT510,little instest.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4
    I use a Autophix ES910 for around $100. It is a dedicated BMW scanner and it works great on my 2004 Z4 roadster

My Cars
    2006 Z4 ///M
    Went to buy Carly, but the annual subscription they now have killed it for me. That will be more expensive in the long run than a one time purchase.

I ended up with the Foxwell NT510. It's a good unit, but will not do any coding on Z4's, despite some info on their website that seems to say that it does. My understanding is that the NT520 is the same unit, just with upgraded hardware inside.
    2006 Z4 ///M - Interlagos Blue/Beige

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingZLife View Post
    Which ones (Schwaben, Creator 310 or other) will "activate" the ABS system so I can bleed the brakes and ABS system as a DIY?
    I have the Schwaben and have used it to activate ABS on a multitude of bimmers, can't speak for the other handheld units.
    I also have INPA (and the rest of the computer-based programs) and they, of course, will do it as well.

-James

My Cars
    2006 Z4 ///M
    Looks like the Schwaben is made by Foxwell. A NT510 or NT520 with Schwaben branding?
    2006 Z4 ///M - Interlagos Blue/Beige

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Quote Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
    Looks like the Schwaben is made by Foxwell. A NT510 or NT520 with Schwaben branding?
    That is correct.

My Cars
    E85 Z4
    I got hold of Carly just before they changed to the subscription model.... I like it for the ease of coding and diagnosing, but the reporting isn't always consistent

I used Carsoft 6.5 with my old E36 but couldn't get it to do anything useful with the E85

I tripped the airbag light as I was doing some wiring stuff. After trying 3 years ago and giving up, I finally got INPA to work on my spare laptop and cleared the error, since while Carly would detect the error it wouldn't clear the light. INPA isn't the easiest to set up, but seems very good.

My Cars
    2008 x5

Brake, ABS and Dynamic Stability Control. How did you fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivingZLife View Post
    Today was the first day driving after winter storage and after about 30 minutes i had 3 indicator lights pop up: Brake, ABS and Dynamic Stability Control. My initial thought is it might be one of the ABS Wheel Speed Sensors but I would like to purchase an OBD diagnostic tool to hopefully handle it as a DIY. Dealer one time cost is $170 so it will definitely pay for itself. I've seen a couple (i CarSoft BMII and BMW C110). Any thoughts or recommendations for one that is easy to use, covers most or all systems on a 2008 E85 and is reasonably priced?
    I'm having the same issue and am interested on what the issue was that was identified by the scanner?

My Cars
    BMW M3 e46 Coupe 330dx
    robouma, I am sure that if you checked your x5 with a scanner, you will have completely different error codes. Now let's go back to the author of the topic. As I understand it, you need a high-quality diagnostic tool for a good price? I also somehow encountered this problem and to solve it I had to spend a huge amount of time. Currently, there are a huge variety of diagnostic tools on the market, but only a few of them are really high quality. On the advice of my mechanic friend, I purchased a diagnostic tool from Thinkdiag and did not regret it. I am sure that if you get the same one, you will definitely like it!
    Last edited by Xantinan; 01-11-2021 at 10:13 AM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Which scanner can reset fuel adaptions/trims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell