Thread: quik-latch QL-38 hood latch kit installed

My Cars
    1995 M3

quik-latch QL-38 hood latch kit installed

A few years ago, someone in a parking lot backed into my car, denting front face and barely buckling the hood. I got everything straightened back up pretty good (can't tell from 20'), but my hood has released to the safety latch a few times on track. Yikes. So....with the crease from the buckle, the hood was basically a throw away anyway, so time to install some hood latches.

Decided to go with the quik-latch hood latch/pin kit.
    IMG_20180507_140642.jpg

Old cable latches removed
    IMG_20180507_182135.jpg

Some tight spots under the cross brace. Had to pull all the tricks.
    Superglue to hold the washer on, tape to hold the nut/washer to the finger.
    IMG_20180507_190130.jpg

Pins installed (custom brackets fit in space of previous cable latches)
    IMG_20180508_105910.jpg

Latches installed
    IMG_20180508_122448.jpg

I'm happy so far. BUT...I really want to integrate the safety latch to work with this. Will take a bit more fabrication. Tomorrow. Track in a few weeks.

My Cars
    e46 M3
    Nice - curious to see how these hold up. I think it's a good idea to keep the safety latch if you can.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    They seem really well built. Very positive on the latch. Not quite as positive on the release cause it's a bit difficult to get both latches to release at the same time. I have them 'snug', and think they'll loosen up a touch. AND, they don't look ricey at all...they almost look like they belong.

Quik-latch web site says...500lb each, and NHRA approved...for what those are worth.

But yea, got the safety latch installed today. I'll report back if I have any failures. I think one would keep the hood from FULLY opening, so I've kind-of got a double backup system. Kinda. lol.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Looks good.

I got a set of the AeroCatch ones and going to install them soon. Do you have to remove the OEM latch for these to work right?

They make smaller ones which are great for bumpers!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yes you have to remove the primary OEM latch for these to work. Otherwise it'd be a 2 person job to open the hood.