Thread: Question on Color (and value)

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i

Question on Color (and value)

A little ways back a bunch of branches from a pine tree decide to attack my car. It wasn't horrendous but in enough spots to cause $11k worth of damage (insurance is covering it, aside from my $500 deductible). It should be ready this week, but happened to be driving by the shop yesterday so stopped in to take a look. Over all it looks pretty good (it needed a new hood and it had a bunch of dents in the front fenders), but the color seemed a bit dark (looks like they resprayed the entire car). But opening the door I can see it's a shade or two darker than the Brilliantrot is should be. It was covered in a little dust and a bit dark in the shop, so I couldn't really see the quality of job, but not sure if this is something I should complain about. I still need to see it total finished and outside to see how the color looks (I'm sure I'll like the color, especially since it was a total respray and there were a few minor nicks and scratches before). Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the issue before I get the car. (also, there was "Picky Guy" written on the windshield, so I am sure they spent a little extra time to get it right, and would be a little worried they won't put in the time to do another respray).
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    For $11k it should be perfect.

My Cars
    84 633, 91 M5, 91 850
    Wow- what insurance company do you have? I think most would total a car at 11k of damage. Do you mind sharing what shop? PM if you want.

My Cars
    E31s
    Paul, do you know what paint they used? Did they match from a chip of your original paint job, or simply get "Brilliantrot" from a paint supplier? I had a similar outcome on my Granatrot E9; apparently the old paint had faded slightly over the years and didn't match Glasurit's formula in terms of darkness.
    SteveCT
    E31s
    F30 daily driver

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    To be honest, I don't think it matters all that much. Car has been repainted and will be judged in that fashion. Almost expected on any 20+ year old vehicle.

Paint on door jambs is unlikely to fade but may have oxidized slightly. Was original paint single stage?
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    '91 850i, E39 & E46 Cars
    Don't be too quick to judge the color- the paint will need to 'set-up' / cure at least 30-45 days before it settles down to the true color.
    When I give my cars a spa treatment, I always give the door jams a quick coat of polish then carnauba wax- keeps them looking as nice as the exterior.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCT View Post
    Paul, do you know what paint they used? Did they match from a chip of your original paint job, or simply get "Brilliantrot" from a paint supplier? I had a similar outcome on my Granatrot E9; apparently the old paint had faded slightly over the years and didn't match Glasurit's formula in terms of darkness.
    I don't know what paint they used. They just told me it is ready and I am supposed to pick it up tomorrow (sent me an e-mail). That was one of the questions I was going to ask (maybe they used Hellrot instead of Brilliantrot). It wasn't the greatest viewing conditions (and it was dusty), so I will have to see how far off it really is. Hopefully it's not all that bad. I did have the bumper painted about 7 years ago, and it was a dead on match. Not sure if they did a match or just Brilliantrot. I'm sure it will look sharp either way, but seeing a difference in the door jambs and body may bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyparts View Post
    To be honest, I don't think it matters all that much. Car has been repainted and will be judged in that fashion. Almost expected on any 20+ year old vehicle.
    Paint on door jambs is unlikely to fade but may have oxidized slightly. Was original paint single stage?
    The door jambs were pretty much dead on from the body (at least I didn't notice any difference when cleaning). But that was kind of my thought as well as far as any 25 year old car should start to need paint anyway (although my paint was pretty good). And yes, I believe the original was single stage. I haven't read that officially, but any compounding would produce a red cloth. I also don't think they can use the same paint they used back in the day (eco regulations), so dead on matches may be tough.
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Just picked it up and it does look pretty nice. It is a shade darker (the original is more orange) and he said they did it in Brilliantrot (308). The only place you can really tell is under the hood where the bumper connects to the body. Everywhere else I have looked there is some sort of molding between the car and the old panel or around a corner so you can’t really tell. They also gave me what was left of paint (Glasurit 55 and it says 308 BMW Brilliant Red). I'll have to see if anyone notices at the next show (which is the 20th in Greenwich CT if anyone else is local).

My Cars
    84 633, 91 M5, 91 850
    My car is Brilliantrot, but also repainted. It would be interesting to compare sometime, either at this headliner-fest or the next C&C.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    I would be great to compare. The next C&C is Greenwich next Sunday 5/20 (I think they moved it to the Polo Club) or JM Wright Tech in Stamford on the same day. Not sure which one I am going to. The JMWT show costs $20 ($15 if you reg by tomorrow) but I think you can win a trophy (and the money goes to the school). Otherwise, definitely for the headliner-fest.