Thread: Crank, NO Start Problems

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Crank, NO Start Problems

I'm having a struggle with my daily at the moment. it's a 95 m3 5 speed. I let it sit for a week and then tried to drive it and it wouldn't start. it's never done that before. I thought I was out of gas so I got some gas and it started and ran but horrible and then would eventually stall and die. I let it sit over the weekend and then on Monday it still wouldn't start at all. I've changed the fuel pump and tested the one I installed, verified the ews wires were still spliced. one end feel out of the connector so I thought I found the issue. reconnected it and still nothing. I thought maybe it was the ecu. changed that with a red label and still wouldn't start. sprayed a little starting fluid in it and it started. would eventually run off gas if it was revved up. I changed back to the red label I had in it before and same thing. run off staying fluid and then gas for a little bit. missed a little when it hit down to 2k rpm. around 1200 rpm it just dies and will not start back up. change the fuel filter. the return line wasn't hooked up, but I figured I would try it. it started and would idle perfect! fuel was dumping on the ground from the return line so I shut it off. after work I put the return line back on thinking I had it all solved. wouldn't start up. little starting fluid would get it to fire a little. long story short, the injectors are not firing. changed the fuel rails and injectors and still the injectors aren't firing. ground is hooked up from the injector wiring harness. I've also replaced the fuel pump fuse, fuel pump relay, and main relay. I also switched ecus again and still nothing. will still start with starting fluid so getting spark. pulled spark plugs and they aren't wet.

any ideas what it could be?? I'm at a lost of where to check next.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    crank sensor. DME won't energize the FP relay unless it gets a good crank signal. But I though it also won't fire the coils, so maybe not ... did you change the fuel pressure regulator?
    Last edited by ScotcH; 05-07-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I changed the fuel pressure regulator as well. I ended up putting a whole different rail in.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe
    Check the tube is connected on the driver side fuel level sensor. Part #3 suction jet pump. I had similar issue when it was disconnected.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0211

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Update

It ended up being the crankshaft position sensor. It was grounding at times on one of the vanos bolts

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by lbennyboobool View Post
    Update

It ended up being the crankshaft position sensor. It was grounding at times on one of the vanos bolts
    bingo bango.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Happy to have it back up and running. Thanks for all the help everyone!