Thread: 84 e23 fuel delivery issues

My Cars
    84 733I 99 323 Conv

84 e23 fuel delivery issues

Hi all, This car sat for quite a while and I am trying to resurrect it without throwing parts at it. Is it possible to use a higher volume/pressure INLINE pump and eliminate the transfer pump? Realizing that a longer pick up and filter would be needed.

The car ran/idled well yesterday with just a hose from the inline pump to a gas can. Risky I know, but it worked to eliminate several other possible issues.

If is possible to use an inline high pressure pump. Would a 255 lph work or what would be the spec to look for?

Thanks, First time posting but have been using you guys great info for a while!

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI

84 e23 fuel delivery issues

You can eliminate one of the pumps and I’ve alway seen it as the inline pump that gets eliminated. I put in the Trey 255l/h pump for my 745. I talked to the guys over there and they said that was good for up to about 350-400HP. Not in any danger there........yet .

Just be sure to get the fittings that join and reduce the fuel line from 12mm to 8mm. Also the in tank pump will require a slight modification. Just search the threads in this forum and HItman did a write up on it I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    84 733I 99 323 Conv
    Thanks so much espoe! The pump is on it's way and I will read more about the conversion. My next challenges are getting the Karo syrup out of the brake master cylinder,while "topping off" the power assist reservoir correctly and bleed the brakes starting furthest first and remembering that there are two bleed screws on the front.

I also need to get the vacuum pump working. But before that I'll do some digging for more info.

Windows won't roll up (Check fuses etc)
    locks won't work (surely the vacuum issue)

I am chomping at the bit to get new tires. Considering BFG T/As

I love this car and cannot wait to drive it and then park it next to my wife's 99 323 convertible. I collect and restore vintage motorcycles. Now I must have a BMW bike.

THANKS BIMMERFORUMS!!!!

My Cars
    87 535i/84 €735i/8
    There is an excellent thread over at MyE28.com by cek about doing a single pump conversion, and the simple steps to take to modify the in-tank bracket.
    http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f...01410&start=75
    Relevant for the majority of E23/24/28 owners.
    --Jay3->Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
    84 €735i manual, 88 528e/i
    Motronic 1 and 1.3 wiring
    Transmission & Diff gearing sheet

My Cars
    84 733I 99 323 Conv
    Thanks Jay535is, The pump conversion was just what it needed. I'm working on the front brakes (frozen) which I see is common on E23s. The jumper wire worked to get the windows rolling again. (pun intentional).
    You all have gathered the info needed to correct these issues and I will find it or post questions if needed.
    To Do list:
    Front brake caliper rebuild (ebrake works well enough that I have been blasting around our front yard with the car)
    Vacuum pump to get the AC working
    find new passenger side mirror
    Tires
    State inspection
    Drive it like I stole it. (it was actually given to me)

Thanks!