Thread: Blower Motor removal 1994 540i

My Cars
    1994 540i

Blower Motor removal 1994 540i

Hi Guys,

Looking for a little input -

I found some threads here covering removal of the blower motor but the engine bay layouts are a little different from mine, i.e. my battery positive terminal is mounted on the firewall. The removal posts I looked at didn't have the Coolant Reservoir on the firewall.

Anyway I made it this far, now need to get the access plate off the firewall. Let me know if you have any insights in how to proceed, what else needs to be removed to get the access plate off...
    access plate on the firewall.jpg

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    10mm plastic nuts holding the wiring harness bracket to the access plate. Pry off the lower cover of the B+ terminal and remove its 10mm mounting bolt. 5x 8mm (or 7mm) screws holding the access cover on. Watch for crumbling weatherstripping when you remove the access cover.

My Cars
    1994 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    10mm plastic nuts holding the wiring harness bracket to the access plate. Pry off the lower cover of the B+ terminal and remove its 10mm mounting bolt. 5x 8mm (or 7mm) screws holding the access cover on. Watch for crumbling weatherstripping when you remove the access cover.
    Thanks for the tips! I'll dive back into it this weekend...then I have to find 'oxygen sensor 1' (stomp test engine code problem)...the fun never stops!

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    get someone to scan the faults... I had both O2 and lambda faults on O2 bank 1 ... replaced the part and re-sealed the intake but it was still there... had it scanned and it reported "short to ground" seems some wiring is bare and grounding onto metal somewhere as yet undetected.

also be careful with that Plastic Strap holding the air box cover if it hasn't already broken.. they get brittle and if it breaks well when mine broke I ended up using some duct tape to fasten that blower cover back on..

My Cars
    1994 540i
    D--n! those brush springs! It launched itself like a Saturn V rocket as I was putting new brushes in the blower. Do you think I can find it? NO!!! LOL!!! On the upside it forced me to clean up the shop corners and sweep the floor for 2 hours while I looked for it...no luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I took extra care on that plastic strap, its all good.

My Cars
    1994 540i
    Tip for anyone trying to put new brushes in the blower: try a thread to the spring as you stuff it back in the brush holder attach the other end of the thread to your ear...those G.D. things!

My Cars
    1994 540i
    Thanks, It turned out nice and straight forward, I got the blower out no problem. I will try new brushes in it. If that doesn't work I'll get another blower.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I can't pass up this opportunity to remind anyone who'll listen (or not) to carry a fire extinguisher in all cars regardless of age or type. Blower motor fires seem to be the most common way an E34 burns alive. We get a thread about that roughly once a year just on this subforum.