Thread: Few little issues

My Cars
    325xi; 740i

Few little issues

Greetings again,
    I have a couple of what I would call little issues and I am not too familiar with this chassis yet.
    1. Radio buttons on the steering wheel do not work. My suspicion is a broken CAN-bus wire, the backlights work, horn works, and cruise control works, ISTA reported a communication failure too.
    2. A/C has no pressure so the first and only step I can do is to put some UV dye in and as little Freon as possible to get the compressor to kick in or rather check if it holds a vacuum for 30 minutes first.
    3. Driver side window will sometimes make a clunk when going down but still operates a the same speed up and down as the passenger window. I rolled it down a little and pushed down a bit and it only moved about 2cm.
    4. Steering is stiffer than my E32 at a stop. Level is correct. My guess an ATF change can help a bit with that and the rest being just a characteristic of the chassis.
    5. I have a very light vibration at low speeds that isn't always there. My guess is it is also from the engine mounts wearing out as I get a small engine vibration at a stop in drive.
    Any help with the unfamiliar would be great!
    New Daily:
    2011 Audi A6 Avant 3.0T prestige. 1 of 368

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Fresh 72k mile engine with all new seals. True E34 Manual Trans Engine Harness. 6spd Transmission Swap, Getrag 420G. RHD LW Single Mass Flywheel. E39 M5 Clutch. E39 M5 Shifter. Factory Car Phone. Factory 6CD Changer. Factory Electric Sunshade. Not So Factory Factory Electric/Heated Rear Seats. E38 Heater Valves. E43 M5 calipers/brakes

Sold:
    1996 Oldsmobile Aurora; 194k miles but with a bad paint job and dented fender resulting in a payout to buy the 740i

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    1. Assuming factory radio, could be a break in the clock spring. You will have to do some testing. Wiring diagrams available at newtis.info.
    2. If vacuum holds do a full charge and use dye. A small charge may not circulate the dye sufficiently. If you find it right away just recover the charge. If not give it some time and keep checking with a black light. Mine leaked from the compressor body seals. Condenser is always a likely leak source due to location.
    3. Window regulator is probably failing. This is VERY common failure for sedan and touring models. It's easy to replace but I would use oem part only. I have tried the cheap ones and it's not worth the hassle of replacing every few months because they don't last.
    4. This is normal. It's supposed to be more sporty than a 7 series so the steering will be heavier.
    5. Need more info. Is it related to vehicle speed or engine speed ect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    +1

1. I am guessing on the factory radio as well, and ISTA cannot connect. Otherwise it works just fine? Have you check to see if ISTA is "seeing" the inputs from the steering wheel?
    2. Pull a vacuum before you do anything, that is always the first step.
    3. Replace the regulator, very common item to break: BROSE Broken Regulators Our Special Enterprise. Stay away from cheap parts like URO, for you will be back in there a month or two later.
    4. Wouldn't hurt to replace the fluid, as I am sure it smells like burnt chicken.
    5. Get the car in the air and push the motor to see if it does lift off the mounts. Also check the transmission mounts, and the whole driveline while you are under there.

Have fun with the new toy!
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    Thanks for the help!
    1. That is correct on the factory radio being still in the car. I have always heard of broken clock springs causing an airbag light to set too so I did not really think of it, I am wondering if checking the voltage at the CAN-bus block in the glove box would tell me anything in addition to the clock spring.
    2. I am moving jobs and so will soon be ordering all new tools with A/C tools included then I can check if it holds a vacuum.
    3. New Regulator soon to come, I am looking at a Siemens VDO which I think is OEM.
    4. Will soon be replacing the fluid as just a maintenance piece anyhow.
    5. With my new job I will have access to a lift so I can try it then. I did notice the one time it happened this morning that it feels almost like a rotational vibration but only occurred while in second gear and with no noises at all. It only occurs at about 10-20mph high speed or high RPMs and it did not happen. The front CV axles were replaced about 200 miles before I bought the car at an extremely reputable shop and they only found that a rear spring was starting to crack besides the front CVs.
    Last edited by yukon101; 05-06-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Fresh 72k mile engine with all new seals. True E34 Manual Trans Engine Harness. 6spd Transmission Swap, Getrag 420G. RHD LW Single Mass Flywheel. E39 M5 Clutch. E39 M5 Shifter. Factory Car Phone. Factory 6CD Changer. Factory Electric Sunshade. Not So Factory Factory Electric/Heated Rear Seats. E38 Heater Valves. E43 M5 calipers/brakes

Sold:
    1996 Oldsmobile Aurora; 194k miles but with a bad paint job and dented fender resulting in a payout to buy the 740i

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    On the vibration, at 20-25 mph it would be the center support on the driveshaft, so see how much play it has. You will need to remove the heatshield to see it, but should be able to keep the exhaust in place.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    Haven't had time to really look at the driveshaft yet. I did take the airbag off and tried some testing, I have pulled up the wiring diagrams from ISTA as I dont have a Bentley guide yet but they are of no help. I tested voltage at connector X01001 across red and blue completely as a guess and I see 12V. I guessed grey was the illumination wire so I didn't bother testing it. I then tested what I think was a yellow/white wire to blue and was getting 6V which sounds to me like the K-can wire with a break despite cruise control working.
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Sold: