Thread: Z4MR: Worth it for collectible value?

My Cars
    Coming soon...

Z4MR: Worth it for collectible value?

Hi folks,

New member here. Planning on getting in a Z4 soon, but I'm split between two iterations. I've done some searching around here (and on zpost, but zpost's search function doesn't work very well) and I haven't really found the info to make my decision easier.

I'm between the M54B30 roadster and the M roadster. I understand they're dramatically different cars in dramatically different price ranges, but I'd be prepared to deal with the quirks of either and both fit into my budget (one a lot better than the other, sure, but both are within my budget).

To me, it boils down to the M being the more fun car that will better hold (or possibly increase) its value once I'm ready to sell it (maybe in 2 - 4 years), and the M54B30 being the cheaper (in pretty much every way) car that's still probably fun enough for me. Is it worth spending that much more for an M? Do you guys think they'll reach collectible status and appreciate in value in the next couple years? I'm not expecting air-cooled Porsche kind of appreciation, but it's hard to ignore the prices of other M cars over the last few years.

Thoughts?

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    If money were no object, i'd go with the M Roadster.
    Dean

My Cars
    z3
    Any appreciation over the 2-4 year period you are talking about will be MORE than offset from the increased cost in maintenance, insurance and gas. You will not come out ahead buying an M financially - if you want just a fun car, and are OK with a 3.0, maybe just get a 3.0. They will go up in value, but thats 15-20 years away still...

The 3.0si is a good middle ground as well...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Coming soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Any appreciation over the 2-4 year period you are talking about will be MORE than offset from the increased cost in maintenance, insurance and gas. You will not come out ahead buying an M financially - if you want just a fun car, and are OK with a 3.0, maybe just get a 3.0. They will go up in value, but thats 15-20 years away still...

The 3.0si is a good middle ground as well...
    This thought occurred to me last night as well (that the additional costs would likely offset or negate the appreciation). I am leaning a bit more towards the 3.0i. I'd rather have the M54 than the N54 in the 3.0si. Less issues, from what I've read, and not enough of a boost in performance for me to justify it. The 3.0si is still electronic steering, right?

My Cars
    2008 Z4
    IMO the Z4M coupe will likely be the most likely to appreciate just because of ut had lowest production numbers. They made a good bit more Z4M roadsters .

Overall production on the Z was pretty large so I wouldnt expect them to appreciate much unless you chexk back in 20+years

Disclaimer: I cant prove any of this

My Cars
    Coming soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by psycleridr View Post

Welcome to the collectibles market. I work in collectible instruments, so no disclaimer needed, haha.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by thebarroomhero View Post
    This thought occurred to me last night as well (that the additional costs would likely offset or negate the appreciation). I am leaning a bit more towards the 3.0i. I'd rather have the M54 than the N54 in the 3.0si. Less issues, from what I've read, and not enough of a boost in performance for me to justify it. The 3.0si is still electronic steering, right?
    The 3.0si is still electric steering, but it is an N52 not an N54. The N54 needs a lot of maintenance since it is a turbo engine, but the N52 in the 3.0si is arguably the most reliable I6 BMW ever made, and it is BMW's last naturally aspirated I6. If you would be OK with a 3.0, I can only imagine you'd be happier in a 3.0si. Better reliability, same running cost, and the 3.0si is more powerful and a much more fun engine to drive. M54's have a few failure points - DISA, CCV, VANOS rebuilds - the N52 doesn't suffer from any of these to the same extent, and N52 repairs are easier. An M54 CCV repair for most people is an intake manifold-off job. On the N52 its built into the valve cover so you just swap the valve cover. 30 minutes compared to 3 hours+ on the M54.
    Quote Originally Posted by psycleridr View Post
    IMO the Z4M coupe will likely be the most likely to appreciate just because of ut had lowest production numbers. They made a good bit more Z4M roadsters .

Overall production on the Z was pretty large so I wouldnt expect them to appreciate much unless you chexk back in 20+years

They made less 3.0si coupes than any other Z4 variant including M coupes

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    The 3.0si is still electric steering, but it is an N52 not an N54. The N54 needs a lot of maintenance since it is a turbo engine, but the N52 in the 3.0si is arguably the most reliable I6 BMW ever made, and it is BMW's last naturally aspirated I6. If you would be OK with a 3.0, I can only imagine you'd be happier in a 3.0si. Better reliability, same running cost, and the 3.0si is more powerful and a much more fun engine to drive. M54's have a few failure points - DISA, CCV, VANOS rebuilds - the N52 doesn't suffer from any of these to the same extent, and N52 repairs are easier. An M54 CCV repair for most people is an intake manifold-off job. On the N52 its built into the valve cover so you just swap the valve cover. 30 minutes compared to 3 hours+ on the M54.

They made less 3.0si coupes than any other Z4 variant including M coupes
    Didn't they finally get the electric steering sorted out for the 2008 MY... that's what I've been reading in the various forums... was also the motivation for me looking for only an '08.. Or did they only get the seizing bushings in the steering sorted out?

My Cars
    Coming soon...
    Interesting. A lot of the forum posts I read suggested that the M54 was more reliable than the N52 (I knew the 3.0si wasn't the turbo engine, just goofed my models up). I've done a bit of reading on the various fail points in the M54 and there sure seems to be plenty of aftermarket support for fixing them. Is the N52 really more reliable and that much easier to work on? I guess I've got more reading to do.

My Cars
    z3
    I cant speak much for the steering, afaik all years and models with electric steering can be affected, Im not sure if they changed the "feel" of the system, but some do report later years get "sticky" less often

Im a mechanic and Id rather own an N52 than M54 if that says anything...

My Cars
    Coming soon...
    Im a mechanic and Id rather own an N52 than M54 if that says anything...
    Definitely helps. Now looking at the 3.0si. Thanks for the input (everybody)!

My Cars
    2008 Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by thebarroomhero View Post
    Definitely helps. Now looking at the 3.0si. Thanks for the input (everybody)!
    If it helps to say my 2008 3.0si has had no issues other than the top motor going.....twice.
    It is an 08 but only has 26k miles so far as not a DD. Doing all fluids and sparkplugs this year as well as O2 sensor as one is bad anyways. Just general maintenance