Thread: Newbie help with wiring an Alpine Single Din

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6

Newbie help with wiring an Alpine Single Din

So because my CD43 doesn’t have any of the modern functions I like without wiring in some aftermakrer modules I’ve decided to get a new Alpine UTE-62BT.

Was given an adapter pigtail so I can plug it directly in to my factory harness without cutting anything which is good because I will want to be able to put it back in for shows and stuff if I want it looking original.

My question is how exactly do I wire this to the pigtail included with the head unit? I was told you just match the color of the wires which makes sense but some of these wires don’t match or are just flat out not there on either pigtail. Additionally, my factory plug has 2 leads in it that my adapter pigtail doesn’t have provisions for. Has anyone done one of these and can provide some insight, I’d like to try it first myself as there’s about 6 inches of wire here on both pigtail so I can have it redone if need be but I’d like to learn.

Wire end of the conversion pigtail. Notice the colors

Connector end of conversion pigtail. I’ve circled where my factory harness has a female pin but this connector doesn’t have a male pin for it. Is this because the new unit has whatever that is integrated and it’s not needed or what?

Better comparison of missing pins. Colors coincide with where the conversion pigtail would be plugged in. The yellow circled pin on my factory connector has a white/brown striped wire coming from it and the pin cirlced in red has a white/black striped wire coming from it.

The wire end of the pigtail provided with the head unit itself. Notice it has more wires than what I have on my adapter pigtail. I understand some of these are only used if you have aftermarket subs or amps or other multi media but I’m not entirely sure which ones of these I need to match up and splice and which ones I don’t. For instance the conversion pigtail has a solid dark pink wire on it, the pigtail from the head unit only has a bright striped pink wire. Do I have the wrong conversion pigtail or what?

Finally does anyone know or have experience with a different brand of these conversion harnesses? I had to remove the locking mechanism from my factory harness because it would not lock over this Metra harness. Almost like it’s too tight and I didn’t want to break it by forcing it. Are there other brands that fit better?
    Last edited by killian665; 05-03-2018 at 02:49 PM.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    The OEM lock on the harness is kinda weird and not as you'd expect. IIR there's a kinda bracket on the OEM plug that slides over the connect that pulls the two parts (Original harness connector and pigtail connector) together. And I believe the part slid back and then down... jeez its been a minute...

Also what I had to do is do a wire by wire match up between the head unit --> to the pigtail--> then to the Harness before I got it sorted. Yeah forcing is a bad idea (ask me how I know).

As the record says... "If it don't fit don't force it" (Funkadelic mid 70's great band)
    Good luck with that... It took a lotta patience but once it came clear it was a snap to do.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Yeah I know how the lock works I was just saying the pigtail block is too tight and doesn’t fit well so the oem lock won’t pull it to without breaking so I took it off for now. My main concern is the wiring

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    this might help... this is from an E36, but the harness is the same...
    Don't think you're going to need pin #7 & 10 connected for your setup. (those are the "missing" pins on the interface)
    e36_200w_stereo_pinouts.gif
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Perfect that helps a lot. I’ll just reference that with my pigtail and hope they match up and go from there

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    It had an old Sony in it when I bought it and I don’t think it was powering the amp. That’s what I was worried about this time around so I wanted to make sure I get it right because it didn’t sound good at all when I first got it.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by killian665 View Post
    It had an old Sony in it when I bought it and I don’t think it was powering the amp. That’s what I was worried about this time around so I wanted to make sure I get it right because it didn’t sound good at all when I first got it.
    #16 does that...

I'd double check the actual "functions" of each wire coming from the Alpine though and not rely solely on wire color...
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    I got it wired correctly and everything was fine. Only thing I ran in to which I luckily figured out before splicing anything is that the solid blue wire from conversion pigtail, actually matches up with the blue/white wire from the alpine unit. This is how you power the amp in all sources. If you match solid blue to solid blue, you’ll only have sound with the AM/FM Radio source and not any of the Bluetooth or aux.