Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New with 1995 E31 V8 6-spd

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12

New with 1995 E31 V8 6-spd

Shalom to all, I am old but new to this forum. Mostly been a reader to alot of the great info on BF. My new project is 1995 E31 V8 840ci 6 speed conversion that also has 3.15 LSD 156,000 miles. I am the proud new owner. Car is Orient Blue currently sitting on M Par wheels. The PO also rebuilt the engine by combining 4.0 with 4.4,.. I am focused on getting it up to snuff as previous owner ran out of resources and the car is now my new Wife...lol. quiet a few issues and challenges to fix and address and overcome. I am in need of alot of help and assitance from all of my fellow 8's. Current situation is drivers door latch had spring failure, Thank you Wuffer for getting that into the mail promptly. Also shout out to Hyper for the door handle fix that led me to discover the real problem (latch). Running 245/40R18 in front and 285/35R18 in rear. I dont like the fender gap in front, but I have to be cautious on lowering too much due to the Alpina Front Lip/Spoiler. I will post photos soon. Car has rust due to being in South Carolina before retiring in Las Vegas, NV. I want Beyern Munich wheels, but they are discontinued and the only ones I found are the wrong offset,,,,18x10+40 rear and 18x9+20 front. Only way they work is with hubcentric spacers. Broke gear shift within 1st week of ownership shifting into reverse. Previous owner was gracious enough to weld it back together. I ordered new shifter from UUC Motorwerks, not installed yet. UUC said e34 would fit??? I want to install Zionsville Autosport Radiator and electric fan into it eventually like I have in my 2000 e38 750iL. All lights have been converted to LED, with parking light error on the MID. Upgraded Stereo and Speaker and sub have been installed. After playing stereo, car will restsrt but not give throttle until I let it idle for 2 to 10 minutes. I assume because low voltage. I was thinking of getting High Output Alternator from Power Bastards, they have 250A version available for $500.00?? AND last but not least, I have funny noises from rear of car or from underneath, seems like driveshaft center bearing or worn out rubber somewhere. I feel knocking when I shift from 1st to 2nd and 3rd. Also have vibration at high speeds above 60 MPH. Occasionally get DSC light and ABS lights, I think due to low voltage, Once car is restarted, they disappear. Please help...seriously. This car is so beautiful
    and deserves the best I can afford.

original craigslist ad and photos:

Up for sale is my 1995 BMW 840CI with just under 155kmi on the clock and a MANUAL TRANSMISSION!
    The car is located in LAS VEGAS.

During my 3 years of ownership it was fully serviced and modified with major original BMW components, such as 3.15 limited-slip differential, low-mileage rebuilt M60B44 engine (yes, it's m60 with 4.4 liter block) and 6sp manual transmission.

Suspension is updated with all M-Sport springs, Bilstein Sport struts/shocks and 17mm rear sway bar.
    Free flowing exhaust with aftermarket stainless steel headers, Vibrant race cats, x-pipe and mufflers (by PO).
    18" BMW M-Parallels staggered wheels.

Car has rear splitter and Alpina style front lip.
    I have also added a towing package (that I've never actually used). Normally invisible, hitch receiver can be accessed with the rear splitter removed.
    I have built this car for myself and absolutely love it, I think it's one of the most beautiful BMWs ever made, but sadly I am forced to sell.

Paint is only couple of years old and of good quality.
    New floor and trunk mats.
    Seats have been recovered by previous owner and have minimal wear.
    Aside of sunroof everything works.
    Not a show car, but extremely clean daily driver - fast, reliable and rare, I received compliments on it every day!
    Manual transmission and LSD make it a blast to drive!
    You will not want to drive another 8-er after you drive this one!

The engine was the last major work that has been done on it. Original heads were rebuilt and mated with low-mileage m62 4.4l block with all new seals/gaskets and bearings. Resulting engine has benefits of both engines: larger displacement, freer heads and intake, reliable and smooth dual-row timing chain setup.

The car was driven for less than half of a tank after that.

V8 engine, manual transmision and light (21lb) single battery make it much lighter and faster car than 850i with heavy and troublesome v12.
    You can own this fantastic rare car, that's being more and more appreciated, for just a price of a Kia!

Below is more detailed list of work done:

POWERTRAIN
    Auto trans replaced with low mileage 6sp Getrag G420 and m5 clutch/dual mass flywheel
    Clutch pedal, short shifter and linkage, master/slave cylinders, pilot bearing added
    Driveshaft extended, center bearing replaced
    All trans seals replaced
    Rear diffferential replaced with 3.15 LSD with all new seals
    Engine block replaced with low mileage 4.4L
    Crank and rod bearings replaced
    Heads cleaned, valves reseated, seals replaced, head gaskets/bolts replaced
    Cooland valley cover grinded flat and sealed
    Knock sensors, coolant temp sensor and TPSes replaced
    Valve covers powdercoated
    Engine oil+filter replaced (Mobil 1 10w-40)
    Injectors cleaned, seals&filters replaced
    Fuel filters replaced
    Air filter replaced with K&N
    Spark plugs replaced
    Belts replaced
    DME chipped

EXHAUST
    O2 sensors replaced
    Catalytic converters replaced with 2 racing (Vibrant 7101)
    X-pipe added
    Headers replaced with less restrictive stainless steel set
    Mufflers replaced with aftermarket stainless steel by PO
    Covered with flat black paint

SUSPENSION / STEERING / BRAKES
    All springs replaced with M-Sport
    Struts/shocks + rear bump stops (Bilstein Sport)
    Front and rear brake pads replaced (Hawk HPS)
    SS brake lines installed (Goodridge), fluid replaced
    Front sway bar bushings replaced
    Rear sway bar replaced with 17mm
    ABS/ASC hydraulic unit replaced
    ABS control module replaced
    Power steering pump replaced

ELECTRICAL
    Electric shorts fixed, trunk lock/emergency access and quarter windows fixed
    Passenger door lock micro switch replaced
    Alarm horn and hood ground replaced
    GM and LKM restored
    Window relay module restored
    Second master key added
    LH battery and wiring deleted
    RH battery replaced - Deka ETX30L, bracket and maintainer port added
    Pioneer HU, Pioneer 4ch amp added
    Pioneer rear and JBL door speakers added
    -LIGHTING
    Concealing headlights restored
    Tail, side and front indicators tinted
    Front driving lights - LEDs
    Flash-To-Pass - Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited
    Low beams + fogs - digital HIDs 55w 5000k
    Lenses Veil'ed
    Trunk lid lights lenses replaced

HVAC
    A/c leak fixed
    Aux fan replaced
    Heater valves replaced
    System recharged

BODY & APPEARANCE
    Pedal pads replaced, dead pedal added
    Left hood strut and both trunk struts replaced
    Rims/spare (18" M-Parallels) + tires replaced
    Windows tinted
    Interior bulbs replaced with white LEDs
    Floor mats and trunk liner replaced
    Trunk storage (in place of CD-changer) and cup holders added
    Towing package added
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    00g0g_3AWZFvGmPxM_1200x900.jpg00c0c_2plgqC8rSUO_1200x900.jpg00808_kaMIorCefpO_1200x900.jpg00P0P_167GFv2cxro_1200x900.jpg00h0h_bIqJ4FUs7AK_1200x900.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I am also looking for ways to quiet it down just a bit. I replaced the mufflers already with Magnaflow 14833 which helped alot, But I don't need everyone always knowing/hearing me come and go...lol

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Wow, good introduction.
    You're in to this way deeper than I had imagined.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 850i, 1976 Nova
    welcome to the 8s !!
    "...i haven't taken leave of my senses Bob, I've come to them..." -- Ebenezer Scrooge

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Welcome! Really nice looking car (always liked Orient Blue), and the interior is nicely done.

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Nice 8er, welcome to the family.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!! Welcome aboard and you might want to join our chapter! There's also links to additional resources on the chapter web site ( www.bmwccae31.com ) in addition to links to sites like Wuffer's and Timms'

All the best!
    Bob

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Welcome... Saw this car a lot on Craigslist. Looks like you've got your work cut out.

My Cars
    91 850
    Ditto on the intro and welcome to family.

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    Wow, good introduction.
    You're in to this way deeper than I had imagined.
    Thanks Hyper for your assistance

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you ALL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    Welcome... Saw this car a lot on Craigslist. Looks like you've got your work cut out.
    Yes I do, even noticed that the steering column touches the engine when I turn left...lol

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillax View Post
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!! Welcome aboard and you might want to join our chapter! There's also links to additional resources on the chapter web site ( www.bmwccae31.com ) in addition to links to sites like Wuffer's and Timms'

All the best!
    Bob
    Sounds like a good idea, I sent you a PM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFuture8 View Post
    Ditto on the intro and welcome to family.
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    Yes I do, This forum has already helped sooo much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TedBobo View Post
    Nice 8er, welcome to the family.
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mbarrett635 View Post
    Welcome! Really nice looking car (always liked Orient Blue), and the interior is nicely done.

Mike Barrett
    Thanks, blue is my favorite color. My e38 750iL is Midnight Blue with piping on the seats

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by starship1701a View Post
    welcome to the 8s !!
    Thanks

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Welcome to the gang. There are some great 8's in your area. Brian runs the AZ 8's - PM me and I will send you his contact information. Ditto on joining the E31 Chapter - lots of great folks. Not many cars cause one to turn around after parking it and taking a second look. The E31 does that. Again - welcome aboard!
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    Be patient, take your projects one at a time, and you will have a totally KICK ASS CAR! Welcome.

My Cars
    95 840Ci
    I was close to picking up this car. Glad to see you here in the forum. Keep us posted on the project. I think you have all the best parts of the 840 series. It will be nice to see them all polished up.
    Current
    95 e31 840 Ci (Auto) Orient Blue 61k
    11 e90 328i Space Gray
    18 F15 X5 35i XDrive White

Past
    00 e38 740 i (Auto) Titanium Silver
    94 e31 840 Ci (6 speed conv.) Avus Blau (This car was Awesome!)
    03 e46 325 Ci (Auto) Jet Black
    91 e31 850i (Auto) Diamond Black, Yes, two!
    91 e31 850i (Auto) Diamond Black
    00 e39 528i (Auto) Jet Black
    92 e36 325i (Auto) Laguna Green

My Cars
    Too many ;-)
    Welcome aboard! Blue is my favorite look on the e31 and Orient blue is not very common at all. Nicely done thus far!
    "Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
    '89 Z1 Dream Black/Alcantara/Camo, Racing Dynamics, the coolest doors known to man -- Sunny days & Sundays
    '90 Z1 Red w/custom red/black French leather, Ground Control coil overs, BBS RV-F --Mais Oui!
    '91 850i Mauritius Blue/Black --1 of 179

'85 M635CSi Alpine -- "Explosive!!!"
    '03 M3 Conv, Imola w/ SMG -- her daily driver
    '17 “30 Jahre” M3, Macao Blue -- 1/500 made

Previously owned: 74 2002 (x2), 85 325e, 80 323i Baur, 94 325iC, 03 325CiC, 80 633CSi, 90 325iC, 98 318ti (Budget M3), 01 X5, 02 X5 4.6is (x2), 94 M3, 98 M3/4, 16 340i

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    Welcome to the gang. There are some great 8's in your area. Brian runs the AZ 8's - PM me and I will send you his contact information. Ditto on joining the E31 Chapter - lots of great folks. Not many cars cause one to turn around after parking it and taking a second look. The E31 does that. Again - welcome aboard!
    I agree, not many cars do make you take a second look or almost cause an accident. We are among the fortunate few. Thanks for welcoming me. Is there not a local NV chapter? Is AZ the nearest one to me? I am interested in meeting up with fellow 8s in my city and beyond.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IJustDrive View Post
    I was close to picking up this car. Glad to see you here in the forum. Keep us posted on the project. I think you have all the best parts of the 840 series. It will be nice to see them all polished up.
    Thanks, about to tackle the drivers door latch now, thanks to Wuffer's most expedient shipping

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Budget M3 View Post
    Welcome aboard! Blue is my favorite look on the e31 and Orient blue is not very common at all. Nicely done thus far!
    Thanks, I feel like I picked up a cute woman from the ghetto that need a few tweaks here and there and some refining and polishing up. The bodys not bad and she doesn't leak any fluids. Hopefully after a few thousand she'll be ready for the runway...lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rjbaren View Post
    Be patient, take your projects one at a time, and you will have a totally KICK ASS CAR! Welcome.
    One of my greatest strengths is my patience...lol, for real. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Im sure i'll be ok with you all's support.

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Received door latch from Wuffer today, cleaned and oiled up and installed. Works great. Now to make time to put Hyper fix in passenger side to stay ahead of the game. 250A alternator ordered from Power Bastards and enroute. Going to replace idle control valve also. I think my clutch is slipping??? Only gets to 30mph in 1st gear. Engine revs but car doesn't seem to moved to match the revs. It has been since 2003 since I had my 99 540 6speed. Was nice to cruise down Las Vegas Blvd on Cinco De Mayo for a few minutes to rescue my daughter on prom night....she locked her keys in her car...lol, too funny... I appreciate all input whilst I stay productive on this restoration project.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    Might be the clutch I replaced mine about 9 months after picking up the car. Oh! I replied to your PM! Sorry for the delay. Got slapped with a "Honeydo" list this weekend...

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillax View Post
    Might be the clutch I replaced mine about 9 months after picking up the car. Oh! I replied to your PM! Sorry for the delay. Got slapped with a "Honeydo" list this weekend...
    No problem regarding Honeydo... What symptoms were you having? Did you replace with dual mass flywheel and etc? BMW parts or aftermarket? Stealer or Indy? About how much? 21 questions, my apologies... I remember replacing the clutch in my 99 540i for about 2500.00 years ago after I let someone borrow the car. Will never make that mistake again.

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    Where are the buttons for the MID? I see the display, but no buttons....

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
    Where are the buttons for the MID? I see the display, but no buttons....
    Somehow, some way they were relocated here, see pic

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by uinvyme; 05-08-2018 at 10:19 PM.

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Oh dear.

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Tell me about it... and the MID works sometimes and sometimes not. Not sure if it need pixel fix or if it's a short of some kind

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    Wow....behind the driver! Never seen the MID split in 1/2 and then relocated separately before....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast