Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HPDE only tires for E36 M3

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
    I have a set of those mounted for my E36 that I need to heat cycle. Most everybody I've talked to uses those as race rubber, not DE rubber. What kind of durability are you finding using them in DE service?
    Only used for 4 events so far... Probably 15-16 heat cycles... seem good as new. I never put a full session on them, fluids cant go that long. They are picky about tire pressure... I try to keep them under 31psi hot all around. Have not seen how they stand up to ambient temps above 90F yet, but Bimmerfest @ Autoclub Speedway is in 2 weeks... will find out then.

My Cars
    E46 330 ZHP, E36 328i
    You already have the best tire for you needs.
    Dry and wet grip, fast enough and long lasting. That is the RA1.

This is the qualifying times at Calabogie this year. The track was wet under light rain.
    I qualified 2nd of the racers on DOT tires with 6 year old RA1s that I use to drive to and from the track... 235/40R17
    My race car is a 1998 E36 M3 sedan.
    https://racehero.io/events/bmw-calab...8D11D1B6BA1B76

In my experience the correct alignment is crucial for fast lap times. You may want to look into this.
    Being 1/2 inch smaller diameter it gives you more options to lower the car and dial in more camber and as a bonus it improves the torque applied at the contact patch.

I started club racing on two sets that went 45 heat cycles in racing conditions. They corded before they lost grip.
    This tire is indestructible. It's such good value that they wanted to migrate their clients to Nittos (Same compound) but had to back out so they would not lose the business.

if i was looking for an all around HDPE tire I would go back to RA1s in a minute.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Giving the Maxxis RC1's a try at Heartland June 1st. NT01 diehard, but CAN NOT WAIT to try the 275/35/17 tires. Such a good size for a flared e36, I pray they work great.

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    My first tire was the RA1 loved it
    Went through 3 sets of Nt01's good bang for the buck
    Currently on Toyo RR's and like them also
    Use Falkens in the wet only because i got them super cheap
    My $.02 is that if you are not pushing huge power use the Falkens and enjoy the extra cash paying for some extra track days.

I did Flip the Nittos and run them backwards to help with tire wear so you can do that and get all the rubber off them but I would do it earlier than later so you don't cord one side first. A bit of a trade off in the longevity versus grip equation
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"

My Cars
    13 MC times two
    I've been using RE71Rs on my Mini Cooper since they superceded the RE11 and they are the best I've ever used. Yes, they wear quickly but the grip is fantastic and they are the best in the wet I've ever used. Right now they're BO'd at TR until July so I guess others feel the same way (8^)

So I'll be trying the new Direzza IIIs next time out--the IIs were good but not like the B'stone in my experience. Hope the IIIs are better.

+1 on Kumhos--I had one peel the entire outer half of its tread right off the carcass at WGI once--never again since.

Gary

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    If you're doing more of "learning to drive," why spend the money on NT01s? I would get ZII's, RS4's, or any other 140-200 tread wear tire. My reasoning is if you're trying to learn, use a tire with a limit that's easier to get to. If you get to the point where you go past the limit, you won't be extreme as you would be on the NT01s. The last driving school I did I kept my Pole Positions on my e36 M3, and it was so much easier to learn how to control the car at that limit because it was easier to get to the limit. If you're trying to become a better driver, I would fear that using NT01s or equivalent would make you THINK that you have all the grip in the world and you can do anything, until you can't.
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport

where r u buying the federals??????

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Franky goes View Post
    You already have the best tire for you needs.
    Dry and wet grip, fast enough and long lasting. That is the RA1.

This is the qualifying times at Calabogie this year. The track was wet under light rain.
    I qualified 2nd of the racers on DOT tires with 6 year old RA1s that I use to drive to and from the track... 235/40R17
    My race car is a 1998 E36 M3 sedan.
    https://racehero.io/events/bmw-calab...8D11D1B6BA1B76

In my experience the correct alignment is crucial for fast lap times. You may want to look into this.
    Being 1/2 inch smaller diameter it gives you more options to lower the car and dial in more camber and as a bonus it improves the torque applied at the contact patch.

I started club racing on two sets that went 45 heat cycles in racing conditions. They corded before they lost grip.
    This tire is indestructible. It's such good value that they wanted to migrate their clients to Nittos (Same compound) but had to back out so they would not lose the business.

if i was looking for an all around HDPE tire I would go back to RA1s in a minute.

saaaaaame here....35-45 cycles on them.....I instruct........not the fastest but man I loved them...and I drive to /fro all my events too

My Cars
    E36 M3 GTS2
    Ever considered some cheap R-comps? https://shop.hoosiertire.com/index.p...-ec-dr-st.html

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    That is a great price on those, but those tires are huge! I had a set and they are actually bigger than the 255 40 17 Toyos I took off so be prepared to do major work if anyone goes that way on the e36
    left rear.jpg
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"

My Cars
    E36 M3 GTS2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra1956 View Post
    That is a great price on those, but those tires are huge! I had a set and they are actually bigger than the 255 40 17 Toyos I took off so be prepared to do major work if anyone goes that way on the e36
    left rear.jpg
    They have 225’s too. That said, I have a set, but I’m running lots of camber, and massaged fenders.
    Last edited by HalfFast1; 05-22-2018 at 08:53 PM.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    where r u buying the federals??????

- - - Updated - - -
    I bought mine off Amazon from a seller named "Hot Sticky Tires". They were Prime. Ordered them on the weekend they were at my door Tuesday.

had them mounted and balanced for $50.....$500 all said and done 255/40/17's not too shabby. only been tearing up the streets first track outing is friday for them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12